bolt or edge?

Discussion in 'TiVo Edge' started by meBigGuy, Jun 17, 2020.

1. meBigGuy

meBigGuy New Member

Feb 23, 2007
    I bought a bolt for cable 2 weeks ago, 299 for 1TB and 1 year service. Now I can buy a 2TB edge for cable plus 1 year service for 399. I have a pretty basic system and usually watch Comcast 720p. I have a Roku for streaming. I hate giving up my 1 TB Series 3 HD (especially Streambaby) but it has been crashing randomly and its time to move on. My question is:
    Am I better off with a Bolt or an Edge? I've been hearing bad stuff about the edge, and the Bolt has its heating/reliability issues. I don't care about the streaming (I have a roku) and I'm not concerned about most of the edge high end features. All things equal, $100 for another TB is probably worth it since we use it like a mini library. I can return the unopened bolt and buy the edge. Or should I give up and just go with the Comcast X1 DVR system.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Honestly, I would skip both and go for a used Roamio Pro, 6 tuners and 3 tb stock. Going for very good prices these days.

reneg likes this.
  3. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    First, I'd look into repairing the lifetime S3 - a new hard drive is cheap, and even a replacement power supply isn't too expensive from Weaknees (the 2 most common S3 related issues).

Otherwise, I'd go with FCFC2 - get a Roamio Pro (or a Plus and buy a bigger drive - the Plus is identical except for a 1TB drive instead of 3TB and it can sometimes be found for much cheaper on eBay). They're the last of the 3.5" hard drive-compatible, "big square box" tivos - and are much easier to work on than the Plastic Fantastic bolts.

Also, as far as I am aware, a Roamio still retains the "Add an App" ability so you can re-connect to the local Streambaby installation.

fcfc2 likes this.
  4. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Bolt+ with TE3.

dianebrat likes this.