Bolt only gets one channel + Showtime HD - all other only SD via cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MiamiNYC10011, Mar 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021

Advertisements

Hi all!

Just bought a TCD8495000 to get rid of the ABB rented boxes; but have had a ton of trouble over the past week - the 5th ABB tech just left, and they cannot get the HD channels on the Bolt (or on a second bolt I got that was meant for my neighbor that we used to test.) All their own rental boxes they tested work perfectly, as did the T6 I had been renting.

ONE HD channel and Showtime HD works. No other HD channels come in, they all say searching for signal error V52. We tried two cable cards, two Bolts, they replaced the Moca splitter, ends of the coax, reset boxes to default, everything. They first thought it might be a coding thing but they triple checked and it's provisioned for HD from their end. Checked signal and strong.

I called Tivo and had them check everything they could and he said all looked good.

Any other ideas on what it could be?

2. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Spoke to tivo & they checked a bunch of numbers on the diagnostic menu - said it looks like the signal is too low/weak; but somehow that 1 channel and showtime hd come in fine? However the cable tech checked the signal twice and said its solid. Sigh. Running out of things to request - would asking them to re run all the coax and check the access point outside the building be reasonable?

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Have you checked the signal strength in the diagnostics screen? They can be too low or too high. Report back with results.
    If the signal strength is okay, I would suspect the cable card not being properly paired.

4. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    That's what the Tivo guy was having me to and he did say it seemed weak, even for the working channels. I went back now to that diag screen but it's stuck on channel 845 (a non working hd) no matter what channel the tv is actually on. If there's a way to reset this or the #'s from that on the non working screen help I can post them - just let me know which ones (first time dealing with this so sort of a diag newbie :)

The tech called this morning and said he tested the signal and it showed up fine - thinking their definition of fine may not be an actual fine in this case

We already swapped the #1 new card to a #2 new card, but is there a way to check if its not correctly paired?

Thanks!

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA

Advertisements

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
    What screen are you on? Should be Help, Account & System Info, Diagnostics.
    It should show signal strength and SNR for each of the tuners. What are the numbers?

6. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Strength for working channels 72-75%
    Non working channels no number just a - dash

SNR for working channels 29-30db
    SNR for non working channel switches between 9, 15, 21, 22,

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    That’s definitely too low. Should be at least in high eighties. You may need an amp or there is some other problem causing a weak signal. Work with your cable company.

8. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Yup that's what the Tivo guy said. Cable co has no idea- tech # 6 is coming Tuesday hopefully with an amp, which I requested. They tried everything else...all works fine on their Tivos but the same issue with both of our Bolts. What's weird is that two channels come in hd fine! I did google a bit and some people have had similar issues with the Bolts, and it does seem like amps did help. Fingers crossed!

UCLABB likes this.
  9. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    CRAP! Tech #6 is here and put the amp in, and ZERO CHANGE. No signal (a dash) for the non working channels!

They all say they have seen customer owned Bolts on the service before so it's not that - and I have two bolts here both doing the same thing

Anyone have any suggestions?

10. MiamiNYC10011

MiamiNYC10011 Member

Mar 6, 2021
    Update -

After having my Bolt for 6 days, I heard nothing at all back - called in to a supervisor who had been helping me and she read the notes, said oh it looks like they said NO DVR boxes on the customer side EXCEPT the T6, Romaio are compatible!

Mind you someone from their higher up team told me literally "Get the Bolt"

If this is the case, now I have a whole bunch of equipment to re sell, and have to go buy a Romaio and pray that works. What a waste of a month and 8 tech appointments. And to top it off, it doesnt look like you can transfer content from an owned Bolt to a cable co T6 - tried on the one they gave me temporarily and it didnt work. So have to start all over with that.t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.