Bolt not recognizing Ethernet

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by HailGoldPants, Oct 28, 2017.

1. HailGoldPants

HailGoldPants New Member

Jan 7, 2016

Advertisements

A few nights ago, I was watching a football game on my Mini and I lost the signal. I thought it was a one off thing, but it happened again the next night. I started investigating by checking my Bolt to see what could be causing the interruptions to the Mini.

Everything thing looked good connection wise, so I made sure there were no loose connectors and even swapped out my ethernet cable. I also moved to a static IP address and put the ethernet cable in a new port, but I was still getting signal dropouts.

When playing around with it again today, I noticed that in the Network Settings menu, that it shows my default connection is Wi-Fi. I've checked the ethernet port and the cable is fully plugged in, and the port shows the green connection light. When going to the Change Network Settings menu, it says the Ethernet is "On", but still defaults to Wi-Fi. I've gone into my router settings, but see no reason why it would block the ethernet connection. I've power cycled the Bolt, restarted, etc. but cannot get it to default to Ethernet.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be happening? I am on Verizon Fios, using a G1100 modem/router combo. I'm guessing/hoping that there is an obvious solution that I'm just missing because of fatigue. If anyone can help, I would be more than grateful.

Thanks.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If a TiVo (I have Roamio & Premiere boxes) loses Ethernet it will switch to WiFi. If you plug in an Ethernet cable it will switch to Ethernet in a second or two. On the change network settings screen you can watch this in real time also. It's possible your Bolt has a bad port. When the host is in WiFi mode, a Mini will not work very well, if at all. Only "guess" I have is to use CAT-5 to slow the Ethernet down to 100Mbps.

3. HailGoldPants

HailGoldPants New Member

Jan 7, 2016

Thanks for your response Joe. Yeah, the more I dig, the more I believe it to be a bad port. When I unplug and replug the ethernet cable, the Network Settings screen doesn't update in real time like it used to. The odd thing is that I tested the Mini for an hour last night with no interruptions. It seems that there may be some sort of signal going through the ethernet cable, but it is just not showing as active on the Network Settings screen.

I was looking to upgrade my Bolt and maybe this will expedite it.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Steve

4. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Sorry that won't change the speed from 1GB to 100Mb/s. Technically only Cat 5e or higher is certified for 1Gb/s however the difference between 5 and 5e is so minor that unless your cable runs are at the maximum and are in a noisy environment Cat 5 will work just fine at 1Gb/s.

You have 3 different points of failure with your ethernet run
    1) Switch
    2) TiVO
    3) Ethernet cable

I would try the following -
    1) try moving your connection to a different port on your switch, it is possible you have a bad switch port
    2) try replacing your ethernet cable - be mindful of the bend radius (typically 4x the cable diameter) and make sure the cable isn't kinked or the jacket isn't damaged
    3) replace your TiVO.

I suspect it is your ethernet cable.

-TL

5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

When the cat5e spec was announced a lot of manufactures started producing cat5 cables at the new spec although they was still labeled straight cat5. There are lots of both types of "cat5" still out there but a true "cat5" spec cable will actually prevent the Ethernet port from going beyond 100Mbps, if yours goes up to 1000Mbps, it was built to the newer spec.
    This issue was more common when cat5e cables were starting to be produced and there was still a bunch of standard cat5 cables in use. Since that was a long time ago, and older cat5 cables are slowly being "lost" the issue has also become "lost" from awareness.

V7Goose likes this.
  6. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Not sure where you are getting your information regarding cat 5 vs 5e but I suggest you re-read the differences, the difference is immunity to crosstalk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ej42137 likes this.
  7. T-Shee

T-Shee Member

Sep 22, 2006
    FWIW, when my bolt+ was being setup, I noticed it was not connecting to the Gigabit switch at 1000Mbps but at 100Mbps. Restarting the bolt did not fix it. I swapped cable ends, reversing it. Nada. I tried different ports on the switch. No change. Still 100Mbps. (LEDs on the switch indicate the connection speed.)

After completing the guided setup and rebooting several times it began to connect to the switch at 1000Mbps. (all ethernet cables are new CAT6, including CAT6 patch cords, and no run is longer than 30 feet.)

Then yesterday, I put the Bolt into standby = exiting standby it connected again only at 100Mbps. So I unplugged the CAT6 at the back of the Bolt and reinserted it - instantly back to 1000Mbps.

While this could be the switch, my instincts tell me that it's a finicky ethernet port on the Bolt+. I intended to bypass the switch and connect it's ethernet cable directly to the router, but realized my router doesn't indicate ethernet connection speeds, just the connection itself, which won't help diagnosis at all, since there is no way that I know of to accurately measure the Bolt's actual connection speed.

8. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Try new cables all the way along the path. 1G requires that all 4 pair be good, 100M only needs 2 pair.

9. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I believe this is bad information. I have personal experience with a Bolt connected with a factory Cat5 cable (about 36") that would not connect at 1G until I replaced that cable with a 5e cable. It is irresponsible to tell people that a 5e or 6 cable is not needed for 1G Ethernet.

10. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Before you state information that is incorrect, please check the spec for CAT 5 vs 5e, you will see that the difference between the two is an improved immunity to cross talk, nothing else, the improvement is by simply increasing the rate of twist in the wire, and as I said earlier unless you are putting a CAT 5 run in a noisy (electrically noisy) and/or running it at or near the limits of the spec, CAT 5 will handle Gig just fine.

Stating that a "CAT 5" cable that you received with a piece of hardware didn't work at gig speeds doesn't mean that it was due to it being CAT 5, it was due to having a defective cable. Remember 10 or 100 meg only need 2 pairs (Orange and green), 1G requires all 4 pairs.

What many people don't realize is there is a minimum bend radius on cables, If you don't know what the minimum radius for your specific cable is you can usually use the rule of thumb of 4x the cable diameter, this is true for Ethernet, CoAX, Fiber, etc. Another thing to consider is many of the cheap ethernet cables probably don't meet their rated spec, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it is probably due to the terminator not the wire itself, unless you get cheap and use CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire, CCA IMHO should never be used.

-TL

11. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Well, I am not going to continue polluting this thread by arguing with you, so this will be my last post on the subject. Here is the simple FACT: 1000BASE-T is NOT supported on Cat5 cabling; it is only supported on CAT5e, CAT6 and CAT7 cabling. That does not mean you cannot make it work, but it DOES mean that if you choose to try it, you may run into all sorts of problems that simply are not worth the effort to troubleshoot.

So when you tell people that they should not care if they are using CAT5 cables for Gigabit Ethernet, you are just flat wrong. You are simply telling them to do things that may cause them unknown future problems for which they are not equipped to troubleshoot or understand. The fact that you choose to do so and think it works fine is totally immaterial.

12. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Ports can be damaged when the back of the Tivo is pushed against a wall and pressure is put on the cables that bend them. This pressure is applied to the port as well and can cause the port to fail.

13. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    IEEE 802.3-2015 (Ethernet, current), clause 40.7.1 (1000BASE-T):
    The Cat 5 cable spec was superseded by the Cat 5e spec in 2001, but 1000BASE-T, which was defined years before 5e even existed, only requires Cat 5. The only reference to "Category 5e" in 802.3-2015 is in clause 33 (PoE):
    Funny how authoritative, normative specifications get in the way of your claimed "FACTS."

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  14. MighTiVo

MighTiVo TiVotarian

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    The difference between CAT5 and CAT5e is in the minimal electrical performance specifications. The performance requirements were raised slightly in the enhanced standard to assure requirements for 1Gbps were met. CAT5 and CAT5e cables can be nearly identical and a CAT5 cable is likely to meet performance standards to carry 1Gbps unless it is a poor quality CAT5 cable. To meet the enhanced standard, you will probably find that a Cat5e cable is twisted more tightly than those in a Cat5 cable.

Specifically, CAT5e has stricter specifications for Power Sum Equal-Level Far-End Crosstalk (PS-ELFEXT), Near-End Crosstalk (NEXT), Attenuation, and Return Loss (RL) than those for CAT5. However, both CAT5 and CAT5e are 100-MHz standards.

15. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    sounds like you guys want to have a ***** war instead of address the problem. Can you get a room?

I'm having the same issue. Out of nowhere, my ethernet on my Bolt seems to be dead. It says ethernet is connected, but it doesn't connect. I'm using an Asus Cellspot in Media Bridge mode, and it's worked like a champ since day one, until today. I've swapped cables, cellspots. Reconfigured the media bridge again. Nada. Take the same cable, pop it in my laptop, and I'm typing this post.The tivo hasn't moved. The cable isn't pressed against a wall. There is no pressure against the connector. It's all open in the back. It simply just stopped working.

Switch the bolt over to wifi, and I'm back in business. But of course wifi isn't always reliable, and if I want to use it as a host for the Mini, it surely will be wonky.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    foghorn2 likes this.
  16. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Is it still in warranty?

-KP

17. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

18. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Haven't gotten that far yet. Was trying to relax and catch up on a bunch of shows, then started troubleshooting. Got it going over wifi and got back to watching. First instinct was to search here. New day, now I'll call tivo. And it's close I believe. Its one year, right? If so, I should be good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

19. dbpaddler

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    That would be funny if last month was like more than two weeks ago, or even three or four. Unless we gauge online time like high school relationships.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

20. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    December 9 minus November 1 = more than two, three, or even four weeks ago. Grade school math. QED.