Bolt, Moca & TiVo Bridge

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Chris Blount, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Member

Nov 1, 2003
    San Antonio, TX

Advertisements

My TiVo Bolt is nowhere near an Internet Ethernet connection. I have 3 TiVo minis in other rooms with coax connected to them. Everything is connected together via coax so a Moca network should work. I have an OTA antenna also connected with a POE so no issue there.

My question. Obviously I can't use the Bolt to create the Moca. Can I create the Moca with the TiVo bridge, run the coax to a splitter near one of the TiVo minis and inject the Moca there? Seems to me it shouldn't matter where the Moca is created within the coax network.

Thanks.

2. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yes that will work. Just make sure on your bolt that you select connect to moca network, not create moca network when setting it up.

3. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    If Bolt is not connected to internet via MoCA or Ethernet, how do the three Minis connect to Bolt? For Minis to work, they need to connect to a DVR, unless you have another TiVo DVR in addition to Bolt? In addition, the DVR "host" needs to have a wired connection (either MoCA or Ethernet) for the Minis to work.

4. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Isn't that exactly what he's saying he's trying to accomplish by adding the moca adapter (TiVo Bridge) near his mini?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

Hi,
    The thing with OTA and MoCA is that, you have to keep the coax which is feeding your cable modem (assuming you have one) isolated from the coax carrying the OTA signal to your Tivos.
    The MoCA filter goes on the main feed from the OTA antenna. The MoCA adapter is connected to the coax network from the antenna and your Tivos. The trick is that there has to be an Ethernet cable from the router connected to the Ethernet port on the adapter. If you can get that done, use the "connect to MoCA network" setting on the Bolt and do the same with the minis.
    Unless you have some kind of coax or splitter issue you should be good.

6. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Member

Nov 1, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for the replies.

Here's the deal. I have the OTA antenna coming into a POE then to the input of a 4 way splitter. Each output of the splitter goes to the Bolt and 3 TiVo Minis. The Internet from my ISP comes in on a separate coax to my cable modem and router.

My idea was to co-locate a TiVo bridge near one of the minis, then run Ethernet from my router to the bridge.

From everything I've read this configuration should work. Basically, instead of the Moca being created by the Bolt, it's being created by the TiVo Bridge near one of the minis.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Perfect!

8. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Member

Nov 1, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Here's another question for you guys.

There is nothing special about the TiVo Moca network right? If I want high speed internet for other devices near the Bolt, couldn't I just install a splitter to the coax coming into the Bolt and run another coax to an ordinary run of the mill Moca adapter, then the ethernet output to, say, an ethernet hub so I can patch in my PS4 or other streaming device?

9. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    You certainly can do that. I do it with old DirecTV DECA units, which are just MoCA E band devices anyway.

10. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Member

Nov 1, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Holy crap! I have a few of those laying around in drawer somewhere. I will try them out. Thanks!

11. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Do NOT do that if there's any antenna or cable signals on your coax! DECA frequencies are in the same frequency band as OTA and cable. You need an empty coax or one with only satellite IF signals on it for DECA to work and not interfere. That's why directv uses DECA and cable uses moca (which is above the cable tv band).

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... DECA devices won't work with the MoCA network created by your TiVo Bridge, nor would DECA work on any coax lines also carrying either OTA or cable TV/Internet signals.

Coincidentally, your question hits on one of the followup points I was going to make, but failed to followup and actually finish the post.

You wouldn't need an add'l MoCA adapter to extend wired networking near the BOLT.

If your BOLT is connecting to the MoCA network created by some other device (the TiVo Bridge, in your case), you can simply connect a network switch to the BOLT's Ethernet port to extend wired networking to other Ethernet-capable devices co-located with the BOLT. Unfortunately, this capability owes to the BOLT having the Ethernet-MoCA bridging capability built-in, which the TiVo Mini does not, so you'd have to go with your add'l MoCA adapter approach if you wanted wired connectivity for Ethernet devices co-located with any Minis. (Well, aside from that one Mini where you obviously already have Ethernet connectivity, since that's where you're connecting your TiVo Bridge.)

edit: Just to be clear, in this setup, the BOLT would still be configured to "Connect using MoCA"; however, once you connect a device to its Ethernet port, the network settings connection type will automatically update to "Ethernet + MoCA."

13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    In your situation, forget about the DECA adapters. Just stick with strait MoCA adapters. A good value right now for a pair is on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Yitong-Technology-Ethernet-Adapter-YTMC-51N1-M2/dp/B019MDRX5A
    If you want to extend your wireless and add 2 Ethernet ports, consider the WCB3000N. Dual band, N 300, and they are pretty cheap, if you get a refurb off of Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Actiontec-M...639868?hash=item25bf9eb77c:g:EJkAAOSw2GlXJAfz

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about any of the following unless and until you find you need a stronger signal from your OTA antenna. OR are just curious.

That said...

Is your OTA signal needed only at your BOLT, or is the OTA signal being directly fed to your TVs, as well?

The only other comment I was considering was that you could obtain a marginally improved OTA signal at your BOLT by bypassing the OTA signal around the 4-way splitter, using an antenna/satellite diplexer. This would boost the OTA signal at the BOLT (well, lessen its loss), but at the expense of the OTA signal not being available via the splitter output runs.

See attached for a diagram demonstrating the bypass, drawn under the assumption that the MoCA network is created on any one of the MoCA-enabled runs.

Attached Files:

15. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Good points KRK. I totally forgot about the Bolt's bridging capabilities too!

BTW, I wasn't recommending he use DECA, I was just pointing out that this technology is capable of doing what he asked, which was essentially to modulate ethernet onto a coax cable to extend his network signals, be it MoCA or DeCA (which is MoCA E Band).

16. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Member

Nov 1, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    First, thank you so much for the ideas here. Big help!

I did receive the Tivo Bridge and installed it near one of the Tivo Minis then ran a Cat 7 cable from my router to the bridge. All of the devices (Bolt and 3 minis) came online and had internet connection.

The Bolt automatically recognized that the Moca was being created elsewhere so it became a bridge. Therefore I was able to hook up an ethernet switch to the ethernet port on the Bolt. Now I can have a wired connection to my PS4 and other devices near my Bolt. Works great! Thanks for that suggestion krkaufman.

I could use a bit more signal from my OTA antenna so I will try that diplexer idea.

Again, thanks to all who replied here. Your ideas really did help me configure this system the best way. When we had this house built 12 years ago, I told the builder I wanted 12 runs of RG-6 going to various rooms. No splitters. Twelve individual runs that all converge to a central point on the side of the house. He thought I was nuts because most people in this neighborhood only wanted 3 or 4.

This 12 run layout has really helped me over the years with satellite (DirecTV) and now the Tivo Moca network. Thank goodness I was thinking ahead at the time.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Great to hear, Chris. I look forward to hearing how that diplexer bypass works out for you. (You might want to note your signal level on a couple channels before and after, to document the difference.)

And thanks for the feedback. All too often posters just disappear after their questions have been answered, so I personally appreciate your taking the time to post back with your results.

p.s. And, yeah, nice call on the star layout for the home coax wiring. So much easier to get it done up-front.

18. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Member

Nov 1, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Is there any particular type of diplexor that I need?

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    One of these should do... LINK (h/t fcfc2)

20. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Member

Nov 1, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks. I might have a few of those laying around somewhere from a previous satellite setup. I will definitely try it though and take before and after readings.

I ordered and installed one of these near one of the other minis. It works but it's will not pass through the Moca to the mini. Apparently it's not compatible with the mini. I ended up puting a splitter at the input of the mini to break this bridge off to its own coax. Works fine that way.