Bolt / Moca / STA1520 Headache!

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by chjohnson, Oct 23, 2016.

1. chjohnson

chjohnson New Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Hi All,

I've been struggling for some time getting MOCA set up with my Tivo Bolt and Minis. I successfully set up one mini in our MB however the one in my basement will connect to the internet and do a full successful connect/download and then give me an error that it is unable to locate the host Bolt/DVR.

I've done a reset of the mini and have searched this site and many others, along with a long time on the phone with TiVo tech support but no luck. I was previously using my Fiber connection with an Actiontec ECB2500C adapter however in the spirit of trying to fix the connection issue, I opted to get a "bundle" from Brighthouse and get internet as well. This has allowed me to provide my TiVo setup a dedicated 25mbps network. I have the Arris TG1672 modem bridged currently and have a wireless netgear supplying the direct ethernet connection to the Bolt.

I've read there are issues when connecting the 'out' from the STA1520 so I tried pulling the "out" and splitting the connection and the signal was horrible and no luck with the connection. I'll get a brief picture on the minis and then within 5-10 seconds get a screen saying it can't connect.

All the coax in my home has a dedicated run and I only have three connected, all other rooms I've removed from the splitter in my attic. I've reviewed the excellent post by the gentleman, apologies for not recalling your name, who provided pics and options along with the setup workflow but still no luck.

I'm technically savvy and ashamed I can't summon my inner late 90's networking "chops" from my CIS degree, which never included the concept of MOCA, so any wisdom you all can provide me or point me to is greatly appreciated.

***Footnote*** I have searched the site quite a bit along with others and have had no luck. If there is a thread already on this I apologize for the duplicate post.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I hear what you're saying re: the tuning adapter RF/TV Out. If splitting the coax somehow caused a problem, then that's a different problem to be worked out; if you're looking to use MoCA with your DVR then you *MUST* (i.e. must) split the coax and feed the TA and DVR separately.

Note that it's also recommended to install a MoCA filter on the tuning adapter input, to prevent interference from MoCA signals.

See this post for more info: https://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10961682

chjohnson likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sorry to hear of your struggles.

Regarding your attic splitter...
    • Are you saying that your Brighthouse connection runs into the input of this splitter in the attic? If so, have you installed a point-of-entry (PoE) MoCA filter on the input to this splitter? (more info on PoE MoCA filter here; example here)

Between your point-of-entry and your tuning adapter, you'll need 2 MoCA filters.

• How many outputs does this splitter have? Can you provide its model number?

• You've removed the unused runs, but have you right-sized that splitter to just a 3-way (even temporarily)? Using a splitter with more outputs than needed will unnecessarily attenuate the signal.

• Your description seems to indicate that you currently only have two splitters total on your coax plant: the main splitter in the attic and another 2-way splitter feeding your TG1672 and tuning adapter (with the BOLT fed from the TA's RF/TV Out). Correct?

What is the model number of the splitter feeding your modem and TA?

Once you have an idea what your configuration needs to be, I'd recommend ensuring all your splitters are MoCA 2.0-compatible -- using either the Verizon Fios or Holland-branded MoCA 2.0 splitters. (for example)

Have you tried swapping the Minis between locations, to see if the problem sticks with the location or migrates with the device?

It sounds like you're currently using the BOLT to create your MoCA network, correct? And the ECB2500C is disconnected? As another temporary test, have you tried reverting the BOLT to just using Ethernet and using the ECB2500C to bridge MoCA & Ethernet?

I'd recommend posting what TV signal level you're seeing with the tuning adapter configured each way, if you say you're having signal issues. I'm also curious what your MoCA stats are on your Minis, both as currently located and if you swap their locations. (see this post for how to check MoCA stats)

chjohnson likes this.
  4. chjohnson

chjohnson New Member

Oct 23, 2016
    Big thanks for the detailed reply! I'm going to start my trouble shooting making one change at a time to see what ultimately works. I've slotted some time on Saturday to get this thing taken care of once and for all! I'll let you know what I find out and hopefully the details on what the issue was and what fixed it.

Thanks again and stay tuned...

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Roger!

chjohnson likes this.
  6. chjohnson

chjohnson New Member

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not sure if you can officially 'win' the internet but you sir, Mr. Kaufman, have won the internet in my book! Your explanation and questions led me down the right path and in about 15min worth of effort, and about two hours of procrastination due to the fact that I was confident nothing I would do would work, it works! So here was my configuration, which did not work:

Not work:
    • Old Directv splitter at the primary run in my attic which had three open outputs with Ohm terminators on the empty ones.
    • One splitter from wall to modem and TA and another run to the "in" to the TA and one to the "out" of the TA. (POE filter on the TA)

Working:
    • Replaced main splitter with new New Holland MOCA compliant splitter (right sized with only four outputs)
    • Replaced all new coax connections with new RG6 (had cables but thought this was an easy inexpensive fix so I could rule out the cable being the issue)
    • New MOCA compliant splitter one to cable modem one to another MOCA splitter one connection to the TA "IN" only and the other to the Tivo Bolt (I suspect this was what ultimately fixed the issue.)
    I owe you a beer and a big thank you, sir!

krkaufman likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, done!

As for the root cause, my money is evenly split between the TA/BOLT MoCA mis-wiring and your main splitter being a DirecTV splitter (especially if "SWM"). Glad to hear you're up-and-running, and thanks for the feedback/closure; we don't always get that.

chjohnson likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. I didn't see mention of it, so wanted to make sure... Did you get a MoCA filter (i.e. PoE MoCA filter) installed on the input of your main splitter in the attic?

Remember that you can check your MoCA stats to see how changes to your coax lines affect the MoCA connection quality. See:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    chjohnson likes this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, one final thought (I promise)... Given your setup, if you find yourself wanting a bit more signal strength on the coax line feeding the modem, BOLT & tuning adapter (roughly double), you could replace the 4-way in the attic w/ 2 splitters: a 2-way with one of its outputs feeding the modem/BOLT/TA line and its other output feeding a 3-way splitter (or whatever's needed to support other rooms). The PoE MoCA filter would go on the input to the 2-way splitter in this alternate config.

chjohnson likes this.
  10. chjohnson

chjohnson New Member

Oct 23, 2016
    I did put a POE MOCA filter at the attic and on the TA and great idea on the "beefed up" option. Certainly makes sense to isolate the signal.

Thanks again!

krkaufman likes this.
  11. chjohnson

chjohnson New Member

Oct 23, 2016
    I checked my signal strength for both Minis and I was at 239 and 279 so I'm going to spare myself climbing up in the attic one last time as I think that is a pretty darn good signal.Thanks again for all the help, you've officially taught me to fish!

krkaufman likes this.