BOLT - M-Card Hot Insert ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by rcoates777, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rcoates777

rcoates777 Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Gang -

Is it OK for the Bolt to be powered up when inserting the M-Card? I saw no warnings about this.

And OK to remove it from powered up TiVo HD ?

Thanks!

Bob

2. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Yes and yes.

YMMV, but you may need to restart the Bolt after you pair the card for the first time.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The BOLT models (and 4-tuner Roamios) aren't like older TiVos where the CableCARD slot was easily accessible. My main concern with hot-insertion of the CableCARD into the BOLT is that it suggests rotation and manipulation of the BOLT unit during the process, which isn't advisable with a spinning hard drive.

In my opinion, a BOLT or 4-tuner Roamio should be powered-down to insert or remove the CableCARD.

That said, the TiVo software is OK w/ hot insertion.

fcfc2 likes this.
  4. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Being that the drive is 2.5" it's designed to be in a portable laptop, so no worries flipping it over. The exception would be flipping it like a pancake which would could cause irrevocable damage to the drive heads and platters..

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I never insert or remove a cable card in the Bolt or Roamio while the Hard drive is spinning. I always unplug them first.

6. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    When I called to pair my Cable Card with my Bolt the agent asked for the Cable Card serial number. It's located on the back of the card as you look at it in the Bolt so I pulled it out to read it and reinserted it. Seemed not to cause any issues aside from the Bolt complaining while the card was out.

7. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Serial number is available from the bolt menu under cable card options.