Bolt loses Sound

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by tommiet, Aug 19, 2020.

1. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005

Advertisements

Bolt running TE4. PCM sound setting - For some reason, the sound on my TiVo stops working. The only fix is to reboot the box. Has happened twice in the last week. A PITA as my wife has to get me to navigate the TiVo menu to reboot it. A power button would be nice... I know.. that's not going to happen.

I did see others with this same issue, but the post were a couple of years old and no resolution.

Thanks and be safe...

2. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I don't have sound most of the time I turn it on. What I do is change the station and usually the sounds comes back after that. The software on these boxes seems to get worse after every new one.

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I have this problem with my TE3 Bolt when I turn on my AVR and TV. Never have the problem with my Roamio Plus. Both connected to same AVR via HDMI. Also using Dolby audio on both.

To fix this with my Bolt, instead of rebooting, I just toggle the inputs on my AVR from Bolt to Roamio, back to Bolt.
    Have you tried just toggling inputs on your audio/video consumer (AVR or TV)? From Bolt to something else to Bolt.

4. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Yes...Using my TV (Samsung,) I changed inputs from TiVo to other items... no change. I might try unplugging and plugging back in my TiVo HDMI cable to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the response.....

5. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...

Advertisements

I've sometimes seen similar behavior after changing inputs on the TV back to the TiVo. In my case, I'm using a soundbar and it may be an HDMI-related issue because powering the soundbar off and on solves the problem.

6. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    Yes, changing inputs seems to fix it as well but these issues shouldn't be happening at all.

7. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Agreed.

The fact it happens with your TE4 Bolt and my TE3 Bolt, but not my TE3 Roamio Plus, makes me wonder if it is a hardware defect with the Bolt's HDMI chipset, or a driver defect in Bolt-specific code. Either way, regression testing should have found the defect. Maybe it did, and TiVo decided to live with it (or make us live with it).