Bolt ios app Streaming Setup Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Jim88, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Jun 8, 2017 #1 of 28
    Jim88

Jim88 New Member

Jun 8, 2017

Advertisements

I recently purchased a Tivo Bolt from the company that worked fine for streaming to my iphone and ipad. I was having some picture issues that seemed like they could be hard drive related with the Bolt so Tivo ended up sending me a replacement after attempting a bunch of troublshooting. Now I can't get the new Tivo to stream to the ios app (although it streams fine to my MacBook on tivo.com). Whenever I try the ios Streaming Setup it stops at Step 1: Checking software version and gives the message: Setup Problem. Setup did not complete successfully. Please try again.

The app works fine for listing my shows, setting up recordings, etc.

I have spent close to 3 hours with Tivo tech support this week and they exhausted their trouble shooting manual and Level 2 consultations. They have now elevated the problem to send a message to their software development team but so far that has been a black hole.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Jim

Devices:
    Tivo Bolt
    iphone 6 (ios 10.3.2)
    ipad pro (ios 10.3.2)
    Verizon fios modem & wifi router
    Asus AC100 wifi router (typically running a second wifi network although I've turned this router off to trouble shoot)

2. Jun 9, 2017 #2 of 28
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Did you try deleting the app and reinstalling it from the app store? It might be bound to your previous TiVo still.

If you've tried that and it still doesn't work then it could be an issue with the software on the TiVo itself. What version is your TiVo running? Have you tried simply rebooting the TiVo?

3. Jun 9, 2017 #3 of 28
    Jim88

Jim88 New Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Thanks for your response.

I have tried deleting the app and reinstalling it multiple times. No dice. I also have rebooted the tivo a few times and have even reset it to the default options and started over. No luck there either. The tivo is running software version 20.7.1.RC2-USC-11-849.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That is weird. I just reran setup on my Bolt, which is running the same software, and it worked fine.

5. Jul 3, 2017 #5 of 28
    heffyj

heffyj New Member

Jun 26, 2017

Advertisements

I'm having the same issue as Jim and can't figure out a solution to this issue. No number of app reinstalls, Tivo force connections and restarts, and hours of tivo phone support have been able to resolve issue. Here is excerpt from an email I sent Tivo Margret concerning this issue:

Requested screenshots of Tivo Stream System Information tabs attached (System Time reading of Jan 1970 sticks out).​

Brand new Tivo Bolt 500gb purchased 6/23/17 from Best Buy, location Memphis, TN. Brought home and installed with Comcast CableCard with no issues. Attempted to setup streaming next day with iPhone 7 plus, latest version of iOS got error message “Setup Problem, Setup did not complete successfully. Please try again.” Attempted using iPhone 6 and iPad 2 with exact same result. Streaming setup fails every time. iOS devices are able to control Tivo box but unable to complete streaming setup. Additionally, the broadband test appears to pass where after a few seconds screen counting down from 5 appears and cycles over and over.

Attempted streaming to laptop computer tivo online. Streaming to laptop works just fine. No issues.

Thought issue may be something with my network and having a switch between Tivo and wireless access point. I’ve setup 3 different home networks using Ubiquiti, Netgear, and Linksys both wired and wireless and issue persists.

Based of this guys experience: Bolt ios app Streaming Setup Problem where streaming worked on his Bolt before he got a replacement, I purchased a new Bolt on 6/30/17 thinking it may be a hardware issue. (Purchased from same store as first Bolt may have been a mistake if I was trying to figure out if it was hardware issue). New Bolt has exact same error messages and problem setting up streaming.

Last night I purchased a Tivo Mini and got it working without issue. I’m working on trying to see if I can find a friend with a compatible android device to try. ​

As noted in the email, the system time not being accurate sticks out as a major issue. That time is stagnant and does not change at all. Screenshots of Error message, Main System Information Tab, Service System Information Tab attached.

Attached Files:

6. Jul 7, 2017 #6 of 28
    heffyj

heffyj New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Exchanged Tivo Bolt boxes that were having issues for a new box today. New box was immediately able to work with streaming. Noticed that both boxes that failed to work were both made/assembled 18-May-17 in Mexico. New box made/assembled 12-May-17 worked immediately.

7. Jul 8, 2017 #7 of 28
    Linda S Sullivan

Linda S Sullivan New Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Just purchased and set up a new Bolt and am having the same streaming set up problem as mentioned by original poster. After 2 calls to Tivo customer support was told this is a known issue with ios devices and supposedly tech support is working on it - no expected due date for resolution though. I bought this box PRIMARILY for the remote stream capability and it doesn't work. Before I box it up and return it before the 30 day return period is up I decided to come to the community to see if there was any discussion about this and voila. Does anyone has any additional insight or suggestions on this issue? Looking at the last post about a box manufactured in Mexico on May 18th not working I checked the one I have and it was manufactured in Mexico on May 17th. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcome. I'd really like to keep this because I've been happy with Tivo up to now but not if it's not going to do what it's supposed to.

TIA

8. Jul 8, 2017 #8 of 28
    heffyj

heffyj New Member

Jun 26, 2017
    It is 100% not an issue with iOS devices but an issue with the tivo boxes themselves as evidenced by the experiences of Jim and myself. I would strongly suggest working whatever exchange/return and purchase elsewhere options you may have rather than waiting on Tivo to figure this out. The streaming works great and there is no reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy it on your new purchase. If you purchased directly from Tivo and they are refusing to exchange box during your 30 day period, I would pitch an absolute fit about that.

9. Jul 8, 2017 #9 of 28
    Linda S Sullivan

Jul 8, 2017
    Thanks. After posting I started thinking that I would just send the box back to Tivo and ask for an exchange. If they won't exchange then I'll simply return it to them under the 30 day return policy. The box they sent me isn't performing as promised and they're offering nothing as a solution beyond 'we're collecting the complaints and working on it'. If they won't exchange I'll buy elsewhere and see if I can get another one to work. Thanks again for the input.

10. nspring

nspring New Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I have the same problem. Manufactured May 17, reconditioned direct from tivo. Sigh.

11. Linda S Sullivan

Jul 8, 2017
    Called customer service today and requested an exchange which they didn't want to do, they wanted to give me tech support. Told them I wasn't interested in that option but they wouldn't budge unless I jumped through that hoop and I thought that would be a waste of my time so I told them to send me a return label which they did. It's going back and I'll purchase one someplace else. Hopefully will have better success with another.

12. atomicgrom

atomicgrom New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    I've been having the same issue. My first Bolt is having no issues streaming (been going strong for over a year), but the second (a refurb purchased with the most recent lifetime transfer deal, manufactured May 22, 2017, in Mexico) will not stream to my iOS devices. I get stuck in the set-up on step 1 checking the software version. The second will, however, stream to my computer, which does lend some credibility that the iOS app could be to blame. I have an older Android device, so I'm going to try the set-up on that if the Tivo app will install on it.

**UPDATE**
    Installed the app on my Android device and the streaming setup worked like a breeze. I was able to stream from the second Bolt with no issues. I tried to run the setup on my iOS device, but no such luck. So I uninstalled/re-installed app to see if that would make a difference. It did not. Interestingly, I had issues setting up with the first Bolt and took multiple attempts to complete the set-up.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    TiVo issued an iOS app update yesterday that said it corrected problems with Bolt streaming. I don't have a Bolt myself so I don't know if it did the job.

14. kmilledge

kmilledge New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    I've updated the TiVo app on my iPhone and iPad, and I still can't get in-home or out-of-home streaming to work on either device. Anyone else still experiencing problems?

15. rmorton4532

rmorton4532 New Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Same issue here. I just received my new 500GB Bolt Today. Cannot setup streaming on any of my devices (All Apple). All have the latest App Store update. Thinking it may be an issue with the new Bolt. I connected my stand alone TiVo Stream. It has the same issue. I’m presented with Setup Problem on both. I thought it might have something to do with running iOS 11 Public Beta, but I have the same problem on my devices not on beta. I have no Android devices I can test To see if it works.

16. AntiPC

AntiPC Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 21, 2005
    Chicago,...
    I found this thread after trying to set up streaming for my new (30 May 17) Bolt to my android phone.

ETA: Got it working. The phone was on the guest WAP, and Tivo didn't like the firewalling from the rest of the network.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  17. atomicgrom

atomicgrom New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Still did not work with the updated iOS app.

18. ToddGsell

ToddGsell New Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I am having similar problems. I recently purchased a reconditioned Bolt from Tivo (date on tag says Jun 13 2017). I am unable to set up streaming to my iOS devices. I can view my recordings from the app and use the app as a remote, but streaming setup fails. I noticed in the app when I look at the streaming system info that the system time is Jan 18 1970.

Troubleshooting with Tivo through chat was unsuccessful. I was told my device would "be put on our list of the affected devices for the issue." I requested a replacement device and was told: "If you wish to have a device replacement, you may give us a call in
    877-289-8486 or 877-BUY-TIVO"

I called Tivo to request a replacement. The agent told me this was a "known issue" with iOS devices and that the engineers were working on an update. I will follow up again in a week.

19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    I just tested in home streaming to my iPad Pro and it worked just fine, both from my Bolt+ and Roamio Plus for info. Not running iOS beta.

Lloyd

20. ToddGsell

ToddGsell New Member

Mar 7, 2011
    I received an email from Tivo saying my issue had been resolved. The streaming set up without a hitch.