Bolt Internet Connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Jungless, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Jul 6, 2017 #1 of 24
    Jungless

Jungless New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    I just got a Bolt and I'm already having issues. I moved from a Premiere and it was fine. I decided to get a Bolt since it can do more. Everything was fine until I had to connect to the internet (I am connecting wirelessly). I keep getting an error saying there is a problem with the router on my home network C207. I've restarted the router and my computer and smartphone works fine but I still get the issue about the router. It says the router could not be found. I've restarted this thing several times and still no luck. I used the hotspot on my phone and it worked. Can someone please help me? I'm at my wits end and may just send things thing back even if it is a few hours old!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. Jul 6, 2017 #2 of 24
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You haven't said how the BOLT has been configured for a network connection. Ethernet, MoCA or wireless?

3. Jul 6, 2017 #3 of 24
    Jungless

Jungless New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Sorry it is wireless.

4. Jul 6, 2017 #4 of 24
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Can you report the brand/model of your wireless router to which the BOLT is trying to connect, plus the specs of the wireless network?

e.g.

AC, N ... G ?
    WPA2, WPA, WEP security ?​

p.s. Ethernet is preferred so I'm assuming that's not possible.

5. Jul 6, 2017 #5 of 24
    Jungless

Jungless New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    WEP Belkin router. I think it is a G. What's also weird is that it connected to the cable co's wifi and that has a weaker signal.

6. Jul 6, 2017 #6 of 24
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'll try to look around, but the BOLT may be needing a WPA or WPA2 network.

7. Jul 6, 2017 #7 of 24
    Jungless

Jungless New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Ok. That's weird since the cable co's wifi connected fine and it has a weaker signal.

8. Jul 6, 2017 #8 of 24
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... (not that anything stands out, but...):

Add'l thoughts/questions...
    • Would it be possible to connect the BOLT via Ethernet to your router just to get it through Guided Setup and whatever software updates might be available installed?

• Do you know if you're using MAC filtering with your wireless network? (feature that only allows connection by a list of known MAC/hardware addresses)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Fant likes this.
  9. Jul 6, 2017 #9 of 24
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not saying that G or WEP is definitely the problem. It's just something to look into given how old both technologies are, and how insecure WEP is considered. Obviously it should work if the BOLT didn't pop up a dialog telling you that the wireless base station's spec or security parameters were incompatible.

Oh, and the hypothesis doesn't have anything to do with strength. My taxi driver in Tokyo couldn't understand me any better when I spoke louder.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    By the way, even if/when you're able to get the BOLT properly networked via wireless, I'd still recommend doing some research to see if a wired Ethernet or MoCA connection could be possible for it -- especially if sticking with the wireless-G network. The BOLT could use the additional bandwidth for streaming, and any traffic you can get off the wireless network conserves the bandwidth for devices that have no other option (e.g. smartphones, tablets, etc).

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sadly, this poster bailed on G/WEP and went with a wired connection...

Problems with Bolt wireless setup

(Though also some add'l info that may help scare you straight re: WEP.)

12. Jungless

Jungless New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Thank you. How can I get a MoC connection?

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    FYI... I just fired-up our old G router and connected to it using my laptop... successfully. Just tried my new/spare BOLT and ... FAIL. C207. However, I noticed after I'd entered the LOOONG security key that the screen said WEP keys are case-sensitive, and I'd entered lowercase. I'll give it a few more tries.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Re: MoCA.... it's a wired networking solution over home coax lines. Review the links in this post for more information (dive as deep as you're comfortable), and feel free to post back with questions.

I'd need to know more about your setup to be able to make a specific recommendation, but typically you'd use a device called a MoCA adapter at the cable modem/router location to establish the MoCA network on your coax lines and to effectively act as the MoCA access point. You other MoCA-capable devices (like your BOLT) would simply connect to the coax and be configured as MoCA clients. Boom, done. (yeah, not quite that simple, but it can be close)

Simple example MoCA network for a TiVo cable TV/Internet setup:

MoCA_diagram_eg1.jpg

A few initial background questions:
    • What type of Internet connection do you have.... DSL, cable Internet, ???
      ... and who is the provider?

• What is the brand & model of your modem and router?

• What is the TV source you're feeding to the BOLT, cable TV or OTA antenna?
      ... and who is the provider, if cable TV?

• Do you live in a single-family home, or in a building with multiple units? (indicates the difficulty of reviewing the coax lines and splitters for MoCA compatibility)

p.s. If you've heard of Powerline, MoCA is similar except it operates over your coax lines instead of the home's power circuits, but it also typically provides more bandwidth and is more reliable. MoCA and Ethernet are the two networking technologies supported by TiVo for their whole home solution (i.e. host DVR and Mini clients), so establishing a MoCA network would open the door to adding Minis.

15. Jungless

Jungless New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    So! I spoke to Tivo today and I was told I needed to open my router's port. Since I was told onscreen from Tivo the following (See attached pic below):

I have a Belkin router but confused as to if I need ALL of those for the port or what.

Attached Files:

• Tivo.jpg
      Tivo.jpg
      File size:
      590.3 KB
      Views:
  16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    BTW, my BOLT connected just fine to my main wireless-N base station using WPA2.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Here's a data point indicating the issue has nothing to do with open/blocked ports on your Belkin: my G/WEP tests are doing so using a Belkin router setup as a wireless access point only, so my Belkin's firewall is out-of-the-loop -- and the problem still exists.

18. Jungless

Jungless New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    I'm confused. What does that mean? Do I still have to open my port and have to use those numbers?

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    NOTE: My recommendation is to go MoCA, or upgrade your wireless router to a model that supports wireless-N or -AC, and WPA2 security.

----
    As for your question...

Short: You can open those ports, but my testing indicates it won't make a difference.

Long: A router has multiple functions including wireless access point (the component supporting wireless connections) and firewall (the component controlling port access to/from the Internet), among others. In my test setup, the wireless and firewall functions are in separate devices -- with my firewall device and its port settings remaining consistent throughout testing -- and my BOLT only fails to connect to the Internet when I try using a wireless-G/WEP connection. Ethernet and wireless-N/WPA2 connections work fine for the BOLT -- with the same port settings in the firewall. So this tells me that the problem is wireless-G/WEP and not the port settings.

20. Jungless

Jungless New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    thanks. i never had this issue with my Premiere before so it just makes me frustrated with all of this.