Bolt+ HDMI connections - Via old AVR or direct to new OLED TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Sparky1234, Feb 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006

Advertisements

Would a direct Bolt+ to OLED TV via 25' 2.1 HDMI cable improve picture quality?

10 year old AVR is limited to 1080P via a 25' 1.4a HDMI cable to new OLED TV.

Recordings are mostly COX cable. OTA via antenna to the TV look so much better than cable recordings. Even live Cox cable TV via Bolt+ looks better than recordings. Sound would still ARC back to the AVR.

2. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Live cable thru the bolt vs recordings should look the same because I believe TiVo just records the raw stream and okays it back so it should look no different. If you want to use 4k from the bolt then I think you'll need a fibre hdmi cable for that distance. If you are ok with using the bolt for up to 1080p then your existing cable should be fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

3. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Thanks for your input.

Did some checking last night and all recorded content from the Bolt is either 720P or 1080i. I use the TV to stream. Bolt connected directly to TV via HDMI 1.4a cable does look sharper and more colorful. Not sure a 2.0 HDMI cable would improve anything but for about $25 I'm going to try it. To bypass a 10 YO Onkyo AVR, the direct connection Bolt to TV with optical audio back to the AVR seems like it would be a better fit for me.

4. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Ordered HDMI 2.0 cable. I discovered during this process that HDCP 2.2 really sucks. TiVo implemented HDCP 2.2 on Bolt, need to check status on my Roamio, and it does not play well with any AVR or new TVs. The constant and continuous HDCP 2.2 checking causes sound and video to fail even when content is not at the 4K level. Updates by TiVO, TV and AVR are causing HDCP 2.2 to break. So what works today might not work tomorrow because of an overnight update.