Bolt HDD Upgrades in 2021

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Laughs Brightly, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Laughs Brightly

Laughs Brightly Member TCF Club

Jan 23, 2016
    Ohio

Advertisements

Pardon me for asking what seems to have been answered a lot on this forum. I did take the time to search and read a lot of posts, but lots of recommended drives seem to be no longer available (or expensive and used).

What is the current prevailing wisdom for upgrading a Bolt drive at this time? From some of the forum posts it looks like Purples are now in favor? Also, read in 1 post that with TE4 I can use over 3 TB drives that will be formatted properly by the Tivo - is that true?). I did find a 2 TB WD Red Plus 64MB cache at MicroCenter, but I figure if I'm going to take it apart again and run an external tray (only broke 1 tab last time) I might as well go big.

2. May 1, 2021 #2 of 11
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    It's been awhile since I've even looked into the topic, as I gave up on it. The hard drive I got (4TB Seagate) basically died and killed my Bolt after a couple of months, I ended up getting a Bolt+ to replace it. I can't remember if I had a Lifetime subscription at the time or how that all worked out, but I have that now.

If I remember correctly, there's a difference between PMR and SMR drives. I can't remember which is which, but the hard drive in the Bolt is one of them, and usually, the other is available for purchase for computer hard drive upgrades. I feel like the other type is what was causing hard drives to fail inside of Bolts. I think a TiVo update also broke many third party hard drives as well.

I remember reading about one guy who got lucky with a 4TB hard drive, using very early firmware of that particular drive. I lost touch with him, though, not sure if his setup is still holding out or if he's even still on TiVo.

3. May 1, 2021 #3 of 11
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
  4. May 1, 2021 #4 of 11
    Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    My Bolt+ original 6YO+ 3GB HD died last night (all lights flashing). I bought this 2GB one today from Amazon for $53.50:

Toshiba MQ03ABB200 2TB 5400RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5in Hard Drive (15mm Thickness for TiVo or MiniPC only, not for Laptop) - 3 Year Warranty

Smaller than original but way cheaper than anything else....

5. May 2, 2021 #5 of 11
    Laughs Brightly

Laughs Brightly Member TCF Club

Jan 23, 2016
    Ohio

Advertisements

Thanks.
    I did get a 4 TB WD Red Plus with an inland enclosure and so far, so good. I was pleasantly surprised that the Bolt formatted the 4 TB on the drive without issue.

Tony_T likes this.
  6. May 3, 2021 #6 of 11
    MrDell

MrDell Active Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I think that you did the best thing! Not only is this drive cheap, it’s proven to perform very reliably and hold up well. A relative just installed this same one and it is working great…. Good luck with your install!

7. May 3, 2021 #7 of 11
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    The only problem is that it’s limited to 2T.

8. May 3, 2021 #8 of 11
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    You'd want to avoid Shingled magnetic recording - Wikipedia for use in any TiVo unless TiVo themselves has put that specific model in the unit you have or others have found it to work and actually keep working for a long time (e.g. years).

See my replies below, for example:
    Is it possible to use an SSD drive in a TiVo BOLT +?

PMR technology (Perpendicular recording - Wikipedia) shouldn't be an issue.

JOSHSKORN likes this.
  9. May 3, 2021 #9 of 11
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Thanks for clarifying that, I couldn't remember which one it was. Any knowledge of a list of available PMR drives which the OP can purchase?

10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    There is no list. The only available 2½ CMR Drive is the 2T Toshiba mentioned above. For 3½", the WD Plus or Seagate IronWolf are CMR. For any other manufacturer, look for their NAS drives (which should be CMR)

11. gsutkin

gsutkin Member

Oct 7, 2007
    tell me about the enclosure: where did you get it? Can it connect sata to sata with the right cable? Does it have a cooling fan?

thanks