Bolt+ HDD Failure v. new TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Tinsel, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Tinsel

Tinsel New Member

Dec 30, 2020

Advertisements

I have a Bolt+ from 2017 and four lights started flashing yesterday.This unit isn't 4k but it has lifetime subscription service. Not sure it's worth replacing the hard drive? I could have them do it at the local computer place, I think.

More details:

Been wanting to say farewell to Charter, cable cards, and tuning adapters. So I bought a Roku and a YTTV subscription and set it up with no problem yesterday. On TiVo, I record obscure classic movies on TCM most of the time and my husband lives for cable news. But what good is their cloud "DVR" if the guide only has 12 hours available? It just doesn't have the capability I think I need.

I suppose I'll continue to give YTTV a try (lousy UI). The Edge has some new UI that everybody hates? It looks like I'd be spending $1k on a new TiVo box and lifetime service plus Charter's jacked-up prices is not exactly appealing. This feels like going in circles.

So is it worth replacing the hard drive on the Bolt+? New TiVo? Or stay the cord-cutting course after 20 happy years of TiVoing. Thx in advance as I'm really scratching my head here.

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Replacing the drive is simple and cheap - it is ABSOLUTELY a far better choice than wasting money on anything new from TiVo. This is even more true when the unit has Lifetime service!

Depending on the size of the drive you want, you can often do the whole thing for $100, or possibly even less (it sounds like you don't need anything bigger than 1TB). But you do need to do a little more reading here to make sure you buy the correct drive - a modern TiVo is really touchy about what drives will work.

By the way, I think that ALL Bolts are 4K capable.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    dianebrat and kpeters59 like this.
  3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I don't believe a 'local computer' shop would be a wise choice. Worth replacing a HDD I'd say is certainly to be considered. I'd gather advice here before taking it to a typical 'local computer' shop. A DIY should be painless!

4. Tinsel

Tinsel New Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Thank you both. I'm pretty sure I can install. Just want to find the right replacement drive. Off to read and thank you very much.

5. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

You basically need a CMR drive, not SMR. Current model a good choice is WD Red Plus 1TB. If you want to go 2TB up to 3TB check this link below. One of the 2TB is available as of now for $50 from GoHardDrive. Cheaper than the 1TB Red Plus.

2.5" 2TB and 3TB CMR drives for Tivo Bolts

BigGuy62 likes this.
  6. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Supposed to be. For all the good it does, no content so all you get is upconverting, at least for recordings.

BigGuy62 likes this.
  7. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
  8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The very well regarded Toshiba 2TB drive is $54 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08231HZPW
    It's in the same family as the 3TB we all loved and used but is no longer available, I bought a spare 2TB last month and they are new OEM packed

9. Jan 1, 2021 #9 of 10
    Tinsel

Tinsel New Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Many many thanks for all the specific advice re hard drives. I had no idea they were so cheap!

10. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Even cheaper (49.99) if you buy DIRECT from Goharddrive (who is the seller at Amazon). If you buy through their site $50, free shipping and no tax to many places. Warranty is through GHD (probably better than Toshiba's warranty, GHD either refunds or replaces). Yep, new old stock, not refurb, I wrote to GHD to double check. I bought one myself, even though I do 3.5 upgrades, nice to have one sitting around in case I ever want to get rid of the Bolt. Tougher to sell with my external upgrade, two pieces.

goHardDrive.com - Toshiba MQ03ABB200 2TB 5400RPM 16MB Cache (15mm) SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5'' Mobile Hard Drive - 3 Year Warranty

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021