Bolt HD failure, "free replacement" service problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Agebt6ee, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jan 3, 2020 #1 of 13
    Agebt6ee

Agebt6ee New Member

May 25, 2018

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to get just the hard drive?

They are obviously outsourcing their phone agents to people who know absolutely nothing about technology, the one I got didn't know that the hard drive isn't "the box"(what she called it). It took multiple ways of explaining it before she realized the Hard Drive isn't "the box", it's a part in "the box"

The actual problem:
    I got the email for a free bolt replacement since it shows my hard drive is failing....5 days after it failed. The trash pick up had already taken the old drive, I had already installed an old shucked 2.5" drive I had laying around waiting for a new drive to arrive on when I got the email. I asked support chat if I could get just a drive, and the rep said sure, just call the number. So I did, and then "the box" lady told me I can only replace the entire Bolt. I explained the old drive is in a landfill, and she basically said too bad.

I really don't want to do that, since Cox is absolutely horrible at registering new Tivos. The Digital Tuners they use are hot trash that I have had several DOA(one cable card too), and the reps are awesome but just simply not trained properly on the subject(spent 6 hours before due to an issue on their end they kept blaming on my hardware).

In what way is it more efficient to replace an entire Bolt + rather than send a hard drive to a user that can replace it themselves.

With the recently high level TiVo issues(poor cooling/overheating/guide issues/added forced commercials), this may have changed my mind on their service, and they blew that chance.

2. Jan 3, 2020 #2 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is what happens when you do things too fast. (Trashing the drive, prior to calling for a replacement), In which meaning, you would need to send in the old unit for the new one. Tivo would cross ship, and charge to your CC, then refund it when they receive the old one. They would not ship you just the hard drive as they would not have them in supply. (Only Bolts)

jrtroo likes this.
  3. Jan 3, 2020 #3 of 13
    Slumpert

Slumpert Member

Oct 18, 2019
    If TiVo sent “bare drives” with instructions on how to open the Bolt, thousands of people would end up in urgent care with self inflicted puncture wounds...

Remember, their core users can even figure out a TV guide on their own. /smile.

dianebrat and kpeters59 like this.
  4. Jan 3, 2020 #4 of 13
    Agebt6ee

Agebt6ee New Member

May 25, 2018
    Too fast? How, it's way out of warranty, and the email arrived 5 days AFTER the TiVo stopped working(with the flashing lights of hard drive death). It said "your drive is showing signs of failure". Was I just supposed to sit around with a dead DVR?

The drive was way past junk, 154 reallocated sectors, I tested it on my PC, and ejecting the drive and then reconnecting called for a re initialization. It couldn't hold a fresh format.

What I did too fast was buy the Bolt to begin with. Silly me, thinking my Premier and Roamio had been reliable, and trusting them.

5. Jan 3, 2020 #5 of 13
    Agebt6ee

Agebt6ee New Member

May 25, 2018

Advertisements

I don't need instructions!:p

6. Jan 3, 2020 #6 of 13
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could probably just send the bolt back with any hard drive in it. They are just going to trash the drive anyway. If they decide to deny your claim, then they would be obligated to return your original bolt.

7. Jan 4, 2020 #7 of 13
    Agebt6ee

Agebt6ee New Member

May 25, 2018
    I told her I had replaced the drive and she either didn't care or understand, so it may work.

Issue is if they do deny, I have to re-pair the card, tuner, and TiVo with my company for the new one and then again if the old one comes back. I sent a support email hoping I get a rep that realizes I'm actually saving them money if they send a drive. I have read a post by someone that TiVo has done it before (maybe as a repair part purchase?) But don't remember when that was dated, could have been a parent company ago.

8. Jan 4, 2020 #8 of 13
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The drive is a non-user replaceable part even if TiVo has traditionally looked aside at our upgrades in almost all cases so they are not going to support sending a drive out.

Scott

jrtroo likes this.
  9. Jan 4, 2020 #9 of 13
    Agebt6ee

Agebt6ee New Member

May 25, 2018
    My latest response is they don't actually have any hard drives. So I replied asking if they will accept my replacement, smaller hard drive.

I think that confirms that they don't do any repairs themselves anymore. I know a lot of electronics companies contract out repairs so I guess TiVo does now too.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I don't believe TiVo has ever done repairs and shipped the same unit back (and we've had TiVo since 2000). Generally you get a refurbished unit back.

Scott

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Tivo stopped using the 3TB drive on the new Edge models and now only uses a 2TB driv. If you get a replacement Tivo, I think it will have the same 3TB drive and possibly fail prematurely again. You might be better off sticking with your smaller drive in the long run.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The Toshiba 3TB unit has proved quite reliable overall, no need to go all gloom and doom. They stopped using the 3TB in the Edge because it was no longer available.

shwru980r likes this.
  13. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    How were you going to get a free replacement if the unit is out of warranty?

Or were you trying to purchase a drive?