1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bolt having problems with multiple cable cards

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Beh162, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I recently added a new Bolt w/lifetime to my house via Ebay. That would be a Roamio Pro and Bolt in my setup - Both Cable cards. I received my new CC and installed it in to the new Bolt. A few of my channels are extremely pixelated and fuzzy, some channels say searching for signal.

After awhile with my cable provider sending signals, they told me I had to get a new cable card. Since the store is closed until tomorrow I decided to switch the cable cards. The cable card that they are telling me to return, works perfectly fine in the Roamio. All channels appear, no pixelation. The cable card that was previous in the Roamio, is having the same issue in the bolt as the one they told me to return. I even tried the bolt in other location in my house incase it was my Coax cable, same exact problems. So it doesn't appear to be the Coax or cable card.

What could be the cause to this? Could the bolt be defective in some way? Just look for personal experience. Thanks

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Your signal from the cable company could be weak (or even too strong), or you might have a Bolt with a bad tuner, which happened to me recently; I had to exchange the Bolt for one that actually worked. The possibility that the problem is with the CableCARD is very remote, you should call again an try to speak to someone that actually has a clue.

You might try plugging the Roamio into the cable that the Bolt fails on; if the Roamio fails then it's the cable signal, if not it's probably the Bolt.

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    It is probably a long shot, but I always keeps a spray can of electrical contact cleaner handy and whenever I have any possible issues, I give each of the connections a good spray or two, sometimes this has resolved mysterious issues. In your case, I would hit the coax, hdmi, and cable card bracket on the Tivo, with the Tivo powered off and then retry. Good luck

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There are signal diagnostics that don't care about cable cards. Sadly, the numbers of a Bolt will be different that a Roamio Pro. But a Bolt usually shows 90% for signal strength on all tuners. A Pro will show some variation. A 36dB SNR is normal for both boxes.

5. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    The bolt is showing a signal strength of 70% and 26dB for SNR. I've tried both cable cards inside the Roamio with no problems, the bolt has same issue no matter which cable card it had in it. When I test one of my mini's that is connected to the Bolt, it also shows the scrambled channel. Would that mean this isn't a tuner problem?

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would wager the Bolt has a tuner issue. Simple test: choose a good channel. Restart the Bolt. Check that all tuners have the same signal % and SNR.

7. Beh162

Beh162 Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Tried this while on hold with TiVo CS and each tuner showed between 70-72% and SNR remained 28db

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If the Roamio works with those levels, then there is something wrong with the Bolt. My Premiere is happy at 78% and 36dB SNR on the same cable line as my Roamio that is 90% and 36dB SNR. On the same line is my TV. It has a signal of 80% and 36db SNR.

A four tuner cable Bolt should be 90% and 36dB SNR. At least close. Now, if the Bolt was OTA and 72%, I would say it's working just fine.