Bolt has strange color and no audio after software update 20.6.3 RC7

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Seattle, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA

Advertisements

Both my TiVo bolts have a new software update and now they both show strange colors and have no audio when I turn my TV on. The only way to fix this is to unplug HDMI and plug back in. Does anyone else have this problem?

Image:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

2. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    what model TV ?

3. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    Philips 40PFL4707/F7B 40" 1080p LED HDTV

4. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I am also having the no audio issue. Apparently the solution is the restart/power cycle the box by unplugging. The problem is that this is only a temporary fix and it will reoccur, so you might have to do this every morning after Tivo connects to the service. :mad:

5. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA

Advertisements

I saw your post in the other thread and it seems like a HDMI handshake issue. My fix is to unplug HDMI and plug back in and it works fine. Still kind of a pain but TiVo support is going to call me back today about my issue and hopefully fix it.

6. Dec 3, 2016 #6 of 14
    G0RD057

G0RD057 G0RD057

Dec 3, 2016
    CFL
    Having exactly same problem here with my Roamio Pro.
    Started right after update.
    I have to unplug hdmi cable on my tv to get video signal to re-set every time I turn tv on.
    Update broke something on my Roamio I'm afraid.
    Is there a way to roll back the update?

7. Dec 3, 2016 #7 of 14
    Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    I am not sure about a roll back. What TV do you have? I just replaced my TV and it works fine with the new TV. I moved the old TV and hooked it up to an older TiVo and that work fine too.

8. Dec 3, 2016 #8 of 14
    G0RD057

G0RD057 G0RD057

Dec 3, 2016
    CFL
    I have a Sony KDL-32XBR9.
    Had absolutely no hdmi issues until the update this week.
    I turned off "control for hdmi" and also set hdmi input management to "enable" instead of auto.
    These settings made no difference.

9. Dec 4, 2016 #9 of 14
    Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA USA
    It looks like that TV has a software update but it is fairly old but might help if you have older software. I had a case open with TiVo but they were not reporting anyone else with the same issues and they offered to replace my Bolt but since both my Bolts showed the same issues I did not replace the Bolt.

Here is a link to the TV software update.
    Sony eSupport - KDL-32XBR9 - Drivers & Software

10. G0RD057

G0RD057 G0RD057

Dec 3, 2016
    CFL
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I installed that update several years ago.
    If that's the latest, It's as up to date as it can be.

11. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Have a BOLT with the same issues (a friends BOLT that I set up for them). Color is off and sound goes out. Just started in past few days. It was temporarily getting corrected just by switching to a different input and then switching back, but now the sound is staying out regardless. Tried using a different HDMI cable and plugging into different TV input with no luck. A Roku using the same cable and input that the BOLT was using is working fine. Plan to put a call into TiVo support for what it's worth but I'm starting to have the opinion based on this post that its a software glitch from the latest update. A mini connected off this unit is working fine in another room. I don't think the TiVo tech support folks get wind of new issues until they start getting multiple calls themselves over it. But it's worth the call just to put a bug in their ear that there is a problem. If they hear it enough maybe it will go up the food chain to someone who might be able to look into it.

12. rbendorf

rbendorf New Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I have run into the same situation with the 20.6.3.RC7 update. I called Tivo tech support, but either they don't know about the situation or are working on it. Before the update my system was working perfectly. There were no hardware changes or system changes. After the update when I wake the system from the sleep mode, there is no audio...no other problems. The easiest way I have found to restore the audio is to go to Settings & Messages and then put the Tivo in strandby mode...after a few seconds hit the Tivo button and the sound is back. It appears that the problem is in the update. I am going to email tech support and hopefully they will have the problem fixed shortly.:(

TeamPace likes this.
  13. Jed1

Jed1 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Frackville, PA.
    The pink or green tinted screen indicates a color space issue. Some TVs have a setting for this in the settings menu. TiVo's generally output a color space of 4.4.4. If the TV is set for 4.2.0 you will get a pink screen. If the TV is set for RGB Video or RGB PC then you will get a green screen. If available setting the color space on the TV to 4.4.4 should give you clear screen. If the TV has no way of changing this then you are out of luck and TiVo will need to do something about the color space output on the box. Most high end Blu-ray players have an adjustment for this. If You have one you can play with the output and see the effect it has on your TV and also determine what color space your TV can handle.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Hi Ed. I don't have the latest update on my 32XBR9 (really 32V5100). I have a mini connected via HDMI. I don't see any display problems. I have lost audio when exiting Standby, and there is a pop when going into or out of live video. This may only happen on a TV that is using DD. I have to do the update and test again. The television is not in my house, so connecting to a Roamio might be hard.