Bolt hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by texasPI, Feb 19, 2019.

1. texasPI

texasPI Member

May 9, 2010
    I have looked at previous threads, but it seems hard drives recommended in the past are not so readily available.

Any current recommendations? I'm looking at maybe going with 2TB if possible.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I bought a 2TB WD20NPVX for my 500G Bolt Vox a few weeks ago on Ebay.

texasPI likes this.
  3. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I chose to pay a little more and bought my drive direct from WD for the additional warranty coverage.....

texasPI likes this.
  4. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    jlb likes this.
  5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Thanks for posting that as I don’t think the WD20NPVZ is to be found on WD’s site anymore....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jccfin

jccfin Member

Aug 28, 2008
    What's the procedure for replacement these days on the Bolt? Is it just remove the old drive and pop in the new? Do we need to format the new drive? or do we still need to clone the old drive onto the new?

7. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    If I were to replace the 500gb hdd with a 2tb model, any reason not to choose a seagate? Price is only $70- half of the Toshiba or WD mentioned in posts. Thoughts?

Seagate 2TB SATA Notebook Laptop 2.5" Hard Drive for Sony Playstation PS4, MacBook Pro B010CBASS0

There's also this for about $80. Have people tried these? Is it best to just stay with the main two models listed? Thanks in advance!

Western Digital WD 2TB 2.5" Playstation 4 Hard Drive (PS4) SATA III 6.0Gb/s 128MB Cache

8. randian

randian Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Southeast...
    What's the difference between the NPVX and NPVZ? There have been complaints on another thread that the 4TB NPVZ won't work with TE4. Does the 2TB NPVZ have that problem?

9. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Just pop it in (for drives up to 3T)

10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Probably SMR, stick with PMR for media drives

11. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    SMR vs PMR (maybe?) WD20NPVZ is working in my Bolt.

12. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    OK. It is starting to make more sense- need the PMR not an SMR Hard drive. The recommended (2 or 3 tb) Toshiba from 3 years ago and the WD Blue from 3 years ago each cost around $140- I believe the price is higher because these are older and not in production, thus fewer available.

Can anyone point to one that is newer technology that would be cheaper? Looking for anything from 1tb-3tb. Thanks!

13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Not new, and not cheap, but the 2T WD20NPVZ linked above to Amazon ($140) looks like a good choice. (These are now hard to find, only 7 listed on Amazon. I picked up a spare on eBay a few months ago for $90 from a seller that had a batch of 24 that he was selling — just looked on eBay and none are listed)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  14. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    What do you think about this one? It's a RED drive (like what I have in my roamio, but this is a 2.5 form factor). It's around $75- only seems to come in a 1TB option (which is double the factory drive), but I've read that RED seem to be better than BLUE.

Has anyone tried this?

WD Red 1TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 16MB Cache 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch - WD10JFCX

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  16. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Thanks- I have looked there before- while there is some good info, there is a ton of noise to sift through and I didn't see anyone speak to the WD RED 1TB drive. Looks like some have used larger ones though, so likely that would work. I have a 3tb Red in my roamio and that has been solid. The debate would be double my storage for $70 or spend $140 for 2-3TB.

Ideally I only want to open this up once, so I want to be sure of the drive I select. leaning towards the WD Red 1tb I previously mentioned- unless anyone has a good reason not to.

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    The link went right to a comment on the WD10JFCX
    Did you click it?

"I have been using the WD10JFCX for about 6 months now with no issues. I let the TiVo go through the drive setup and guided setup. I have the older interface. (not hydra) I did not try to save any recordings or use the MSF tools. I just let TiVo do it all itself. The only thing I did do while it was open (not related to the hard disk) was to put a 100uF 25V capacitor across the fan power connector to eliminate the whine from the fan circuitry. I don't know if there are any long term effects to this, but for now it has eliminated the whine for me. The WD10JFCX and the WD10JUCT look to be the same drive with different firmware on them and are what some here recommend. One is specialized for a NAS and the other for audio/video. To me it was more what was available and for what price."

18. OrangeTurtle

OrangeTurtle Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Totally my bad! I clicked it, but immediately just scrolled to the top and started reading there. Completely missed this.

Quite Sorry- thanks for the help!

19. el-such-n-such

el-such-n-such New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Chicagoland...
    IF you want to take the plunge, and go higher, this is what I'm running successfully for 4 mnths:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZMUNGR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the first drive I've installed over the 3TB limit, I followed the posts about enlarging the filesystem after a test boot on the Bolt (like the procedure guides). I wanted to open this once and then not mess with it again.

20. tarzxf

tarzxf New Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Where might these guides be? Jumped on the current sale, and looking at the price difference between 3-5TB 2.5" drives is making my eyes cross. Might just settle on the 4TB drive as the current 6-tuner Roamio is doing quite well with 3TB.