Bolt+ doesn't support HD antennas?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by ARC, Oct 23, 2016.

1. ARC

ARC New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Lago Vista
    I haven't logged in here since 2007. Hi! Still have an SD lifetime hacked TiVo in a closet somewhere, but I was on DirecTV and well, we know how that went.
    I cut the cord 6 months ago, and got a Tablo with a 5TB. It "works", but the user interface is nowhere near TiVos. I saw a mention that TiVo had an OTA recorder now, went looking, found the specs for Bolt and Bolt+.
    Searched the forums here and read through a few threads on this.
    Bolt apparently is flaky on HD ? Bolt+ does NOT SUPPORT HD Antennas?
    Baffled that this would be so. ??? I've hacked a number of TiVos in my time, not afraid to do it again - apparently you can replace the internal drive in the Bolt, but also can use a USB external?
    Does an external slow performance down? Stutter seems a common word here.

2. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Bolt+ is cable only.

This is what you would be looking for (lifetime included):

https://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-roamio-ota-dvr

Can be found cheaper elsewhere, but always look for 1 tB version, and make sure service included. Roamio OTA versions can be confusing

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No TiVo model supports an external USB drive. Other threads exist to replace the internal 2.5" drive.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    TiVo currently offers 2 different OTA-capable models:
    • BOLT
    • Roamio OTA

Insufficient data. HD == hard drive or Hi-Def? "flaky" == ???

Correct; BOLT+ is CableCARD-only. Can't help with why it might be baffling; an HDVR2 couldn't do cable or OTA antenna, and TiVo started producing cable-only DVRs back with the 4-tuner Premieres, 5 years back.

The process is simple enough that I wouldn't characterize DIY hard drive upgrades for the latest TiVo models as "hacking."

TiVo only supports eSATA for external drive connection -- and only supports a single 1TB model from Western Digital. The consensus generally goes against this approach.

What you may run across is some people modding their BOLT/BOLT+ DVRs to allow using a 3.5" HDD as the "internal" drive... by connecting an external enclosure to the DVR's internal SATA connection.

5. ARC

ARC New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Lago Vista
    I thought the Roamio was retired, so I hadn't looked at it.
    Sorry for the term hacked, back in the 90's and early aughts, I was moving movies to my laptop while I was traveling on business throughout the US, and that required quite a few non-supported mods.
    1TB is still the upper limit for Roamios?
    I have an Amazon Fire - what is the best method users up here have found for using both a Roamio and an AF?
    HD was as in, High Def OTA antennas - sorry for lack of clarity...

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I put a 3TB drive in my Roamio. Not sure what the limit is.

Mini works much better than a Fire. But if you insist, you'll need a Stream or a Slingbox to get content to a Fire. I use both since the picture quality on Stream is so poor. Both are very awkward to control.

I think for moving programs, TiVo desktop or pyTivo still works fine.

I don't think Roamio is retired. But even if it were, I'd much rather pay ~$360 for a lifetime Roamio OTA than nearly a grand for a lifetime Bolt or pay a monthly/yearly fee. That's why I have 2 lifetime Roamios in service and 2 spares waiting in the wings and no plans to ever get a Bolt.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  7. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Roamio OTA 1 TB is definitely not retired. It is the only Roamio in TiVo "s "shop" page.

Amazon Fire tv TiVo beta app is way below the functionality and features that a Mini offers.