1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bolt Displays Green Screen "Detected A Serious Error" With New HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Curmudgon, May 11, 2018.

1. Curmudgon

Curmudgon New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    I have a Tivo Bolt Model TCD849500 which I bought brand new 11 months ago. I got the lifetime service subscription at the time. Upon receiving the box, I immediately upgraded the 500 GB HD to a brand new WD Red 4 TB HD. Everything has been working great until a week ago when I started getting intermittent pixelization across all channels. Then yesterday, the device intermittently started to miss recording parts of a few programs. I became concerned about the HD at that point and today when I got up, there was no signal at all coming from the device and all of the lights on the front were flashing.

I immediately replaced the HD with a brand new WD 2 TB hard drive and attempted to re-start the Tivo. When I first powered up the device with the new drive, I got a message saying “Preparing the service update. This may take up to an hour, possibly longer." After a few minutes, that message was replaced with the TIVO logo then the “almost there” message. For several minutes the Tivo kept alternating back and forth between the Tivo logo and the “almost there” message.

Since this was getting me nowhere, I tried disconnected the power and rebooting the system. I got the same result with the alternating messages, regardless of how long I left the Tivo alone. I kept trying a succession of reboots with the same result and finally, on about the 7th try or so I got all lights flashing on the front of the box. I tried re-booting one more time and this time the box displayed the green light and it started guided setup.

I went through guided setup, got the cablecard re-activated by Comcast and loaded up the box with the guide from the internet. I thought I was finally in business and had all of the box functions back except for the TV signal. Regardless of what channel I selected, I got a Tivo message saying “searching for signal” but it never found one.

I contacted Comcast again and they could find no problem on their end. Suddenly, as I was troubleshooting this problem, the Tivo started displaying a “Tivo box has detected a serious error and is attempting to fix it. This will take about 3 hours”. I am only an hour into that process but I have little confidence that the problem will be corrected.

So what have I got going on here? My research has shown that the “serious error” message applies to a HD failure but I have a brand new, top quality HD fresh out of the box on it now so there should be no HD problems. Is the box itself now dead? I’m not very impressed with Tivo’s reliability if it is. It’s less than a year old.

Right now, it looks as if I am facing having to buy a new Tivo box and a new lifetime subscription since they don’t allow transferring a current subscription to a new box. Plus….I’ve now lost all of my recorded shows! I am not thrilled about signing up for a new Tivo box and subscription if it’s only going to last me 11 months and then lose all of my shows.

Do I have any other options here? Is there anything I am missing? Is there any way to get this box going again? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Updated at 10:46 pm - Title Message should say "serious problem" and not "serious error"

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I have the same Red 4TB in my Roamio 4 tuner basic and it has been running fine over the years. Only, I just waited a year before upgrading the drive. It did go through a software update also, afterwards. I had used MSFR to expand it, as it will only use up to 3TB without.

Do you still have the original drive? Try using it and see how it runs. Yes it should go through a system update anyways. (current version is V20.7.4.)

How did you handle using the 3.5" drive in a Bolt which was built for a 2.5" drive?

3. Curmudgon

Curmudgon New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Thanks for the response. I still have the original internal 500GB HD and did try reconnecting that. I got the same alternating Tivo logo and "almost there" messages after a number of attempts that I later got on the brand new HD so I eventually gave up on it. I had the WD 4TB drive in a Rosewill External HD enclosure (a very nice enclosure BTW) attached via an Esata/Sata adapter and a Sata cable to the Bolt. I have tested the enclosure, cable and adapter on my computer and they are working fine. The new HD is in the same enclosure.

4. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Maybe try formatting the 500GB in a computer and put in the Bolt as it came, no enclosure? Not sure if you tried the 500GB in the enclosure or directly in the Bolt, if in the enclosure you could try it direct in the Bolt without formatting first. If you format or blank it it would be starting fresh. Your new 2 TB would have been starting fresh but still in the enclosure. Basically try a drive without the enclosure and see what happens, preferably the original 500GB. Much of the Bolt is a mystery to me because so much is on the flash drive, way more than a Roamio I think, upgrades can get tricky.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Green Screen usually means Kick Start...

Maybe try one of the appropriate codes:

TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information

-KP

6. Curmudgon

Curmudgon New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Thanks for the responses. I removed the external drive and put the Bolt back to the way it came to me, i.e. with the internal 500 GB connected and the external drive, cables, and enclosure completely removed. I had already tried this once before with no success but decided to try it again. After doing this the second time, I no longer get the green error message screen however the unit still will not boot up. It simply keeps alternating between the two screens as it did before.

I did try entering the kick start codes after the return to the original 500 GB HD and the unit accepted them. After accepting each code however, the unit did nothing with them and did not reboot. It still just kept alternating the two screens. Right now I am just going to stay with the original 500 GB HD until I can get this resolved.

7. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Did you try formatting/blanking the 500 in a computer? To force the Bolt to reformat it. I had a Bolt that was stuck in a reboot loop. I had the same experience as you, it seemed to accept the kickstart codes but they did not do anything. It had a 1.5TB drive installed. I took out the 1.5 and put in the original 500 (I did not format/blank it first). That solved MY problem though I had never gotten the green screen like you. What is really strange is I tested the 1.5TB, it passed all tests, no bad/moved sectors etc. Don't know what happened, it had been working fine for a year. I am now using it in a computer with no problem.

If blanking/formatting the 500 does not work for you my GUESS would be a problem with the flash drive. I doubt that could be fixed by most people, certainly not me. You MIGHT get lucky with Tivo customer support. Of course they will run you through a LOAD of "tests" but if they can't get it working they MIGHT send you a replacement for $49. Depends on who you talk to, just random I think. Don't mention any enclosure or larger drives!!!!!

8. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I see you bought the Bolt 11 months ago. Though it is not under full parts and labor warranty I was told by Tivo you would never have to pay more than $49 for a replacement within the first year. So assuming you did not have to cut the case to use the external you should be able to get the replacement for $49. If you did cut the case only solution would be to buy a used one with no service for maybe $50 or so and swap out the case. Though stickers could be an issue depending on what part of the case was cut.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Given this seemed to be associated with the service update, I'm wondering also if it's a corruption in the flash holding the OS and not the hard drive. I'd quickly contact TiVo and get the replacement under warranty (still have to pay $49 labor but the hardware is covered for a year). Your lifetime will be moved to the new TiVo with a warranty claim.

Scott

10. Curmudgon

Curmudgon New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Thanks for your response. I think I’ve figured out what is going on and I think you are exactly right. After studying several Tivo troubleshooting guides, it seems that the only things that can cause the symptoms I’m continuing to have are either the hard drive, power supply, motherboard or SATA cable inside the box. As near as I can see, on the BOLT, the power supply is not a separate component but actually part of the motherboard. That leaves just the hard drive, SATA cable and motherboard.

I suspect that the probability that the motherboard or SATA cable would be defective after only 11 months is quite low so that takes me back to the HD once again. Since the 500GB internal hard drive (which is back in the box and running for now) is virtually brand new, the problem must be in the formatting. I know that you recommended that I reformat the HD on my computer but since I don’t have any 2.5” slots on any of my computers, I can’t do that yet. I have an adapter ordered so that I can do that however.

It looks to me as if the Tivo can’t handle installing a new HD which has any kind of data on it whatsoever. Even if that data has already been formatted by the Tivo, the Tivo doesn’t know what to do with it if the drive is re-installed. That would explain the behavior I’ve been seeing from the HD’s I’ve been trying. That would explain why the new 2TB WD drive in the external case worked the first time I installed it but didn’t work when I re-installed it.

I am guessing that if I zero out the old 500GB internal HD, it will work properly. I’m guessing also that if I zero out the new 2TB WD drive and re-install it, that will work too. I will probably try that soon for diagnostic purposes while I am waiting for my 2.5” adapter to arrive to permit me to zero out that drive on my computer. I will report back of these work after I try them.

If all of that works, I am still going to be a bit gun shy about going forward with a larger, external HD as I had before. Sadly, I lost a lot of really great shows and movies, many of them rare and hard to find and I really don’t want to have to go through that again. As far as I know, Tivo no longer offers a way to back-up shows now that they no longer provide the Tivo desktop. That risk remains, even if I replace the 500GB HD with a 3TB Toshiba. HD’s ARE going to fail eventually, as we all know.

I used to have MOXI before they went out of support. With those devices, you could spread your shows across both an internal HD and an external HD. If one of those drives went bad, you at least had half of your shows remaining and didn’t lose everything. You could also take the remaining good HD and uninstall it and re-install it multiple times without losing the shows on it. With the Tivo, you can’t do that. It seems that if you have to do just about anything to the HD, you will lose ALL of your shows, even those on an external HD if you use that (which I wasn’t, my external HD was really the INTERNAL HD mounted outside the case).

11. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    "I suspect that the probability that the motherboard or SATA cable would be defective after only 11 months is quite low so that takes me back to the HD once again. Since the 500GB internal hard drive (which is back in the box and running for now) is virtually brand new, the problem must be in the formatting. I know that you recommended that I reformat the HD on my computer but since I don’t have any 2.5” slots on any of my computers, I can’t do that yet. I have an adapter ordered so that I can do that however."

Don't really need a slot, if a desktop just open it up, connect a SATA cable to the drive along with a SATA power connector. drive can be on the floor or whatever (board up and handle carefully of course, not touching anything else). I hope it works for you, don't forget the warranty though, $49 for replacement with transfer of your lifetime, expires after 12 months....

12. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Maybe the best way to "backup" recordings is to another Tivo. Get a cheap Premiere, even an S3 with lifetime. Upgrade the drive to a nice size (2TB max on an S3). Premiere or S3 will not format a new drive themselves though, have to use MFS Tools, or some other Tivo copy and expand method. Then just backup whatever shows you want to the Premiere or HD occasionally over your network. You can transfer back and forth. Don't even have to keep the "new" Tivo on all the time, maybe just when you want to transfer some shows and once every few weeks to connect to Tivo, keep it "active".

13. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The Bolt power supply is the wall wart external power supply (like the Roamio Basic/OTA but unlike the Roamio Plus/Pro and all earlier TiVo's where had internal power supplies and just a power cord).

Scott

14. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    TiVo Desktop and the other 3rd party tools like kmttg and pyTiVo and PyTiVo Desktop still work to download shows from a Bolt with Hydra. They did discontinue being able to upload them back to a Bolt with Hydra but you can use Plex to stream them back to the Bolt.

Scott

15. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I have about 8TB of recordings backed up with Tivo desktop. I cannot transfer any of them back to any of my Tivos, S3, Premiere, Roamio. I can still transfer to the computer with Tivo desktop but not from the computer to the Tivos. The computer does not show up under "devices" on my Tivos. Well it does on the S3, but when I try to transfer back to the S3 it says there are "no recordings" on the computer even though there is. I've restarted the router, the Tivos etc (even unplug), the computer does not show up on the Tivos period. No Bolts or Hydra involved.

16. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Check out this thread.

"Now Playing List Not Available"

The certificates in TiVo Desktop expired and since TiVo no longer directly supports it, I doubt they are going to issue an update (alternatively move to one of the 3rd party tools like pyTivo Desktop or pyTivo).

Scott

tommage1 likes this.
  17. tommage1

tommage1 Active Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks, will try it out, looks like a solution :)

18. Curmudgon

Curmudgon New Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Thanks for all of the responses. Regarding the warranty, I still have a few more weeks if it comes to that. My box had no seal so that’s not a problem but the 3 little tabs on the cover over the HD and fan are broken off so I would have to get a cover from another used machine as you suggested.

But….wouldn’t the service logs that thing creates every time it phones home show that the HD had been modded to a larger one for a while? I would think they would be able to see that in the logs and deny me any further service.

19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But they typically haven't. The exception being where a user has called the drive to TiVo's attention or posed some issues . . . .

20. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    They can also void the warranty when they see the TSN on the case does not match the TSN on the MB, if they turn it on, in System Information.