Bolt connected via Wifi + Mini over Moca?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by RooiValk, Jan 10, 2016.

1. RooiValk

RooiValk New Member

Jan 10, 2016

Advertisements

Hi All,

This is my first post here and was hoping for a bit of help 'cos this is new to me. I dropped DirecTv and have now cut the cord, hopefully for good. I have done it in the past but ridiculous limitations always forced me to go back. I recently tried a Tablo but that will be sold shortly!

Anyway I would like to go with a Tivo Bolt and Mini setup, hopefully using a Moca network. My house, like most, does not have Ethernet connections out the wazoo, so I have used wireless successfully for all my streaming needs (smart TV, Roku ... etc).

Sorry for the long-winded post, I have a few questions regarding the Tivo setup that I am contemplating, which is the Bolt and 1 or more Minis.

I would prefer not to run new RG6 wiring so can I connect a TiVo Bolt to the network via WiFi (line-of-sight in the same room), and then use the Bolt to create a Moca network for a Mini?

Basically:
    Router --> Wifi --> Bolt --> Mini-over-Moca

2. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    No, the Bolt has to be ethernet or MoCA to use a mini, it cannot be setup with the internal wireless. You can, however, trick it into thinking it's hardwired with a wireless ethernet bridge. I have my roamio plus connected with a Linksys WET610N wirelessly to the router and it also creates the MoCA network and the minis are both connected via MoCA.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016