Bolt can't connect to Cable

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tepperleen, Aug 19, 2018.

1. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018

Advertisements

I use Optimum/Cablevision. I have tried 3 cards and have spoken to countless people at O/C and can't seem to get paired no matter what they do. I've read many threads here and on other sites and have asked all the questions that I think need to be asked: has my card been disassociated from it's prior device, have they sent a hit signal to my device, is it coded for the correct head-end? (What exactly is the head-end?, is that the host ID? or something else?) They seem to think that everything is on point, but I'm still stuck at 72/89% channels loading, with absolutely no connection to any cable whatsoever. I've been escalated and someone is supposed to call me tomorrow, but I don't know what else they can do, or what else I can ask. I keep reading about certain information I'm supposed to look for on the conditional access menu, but I'm not finding that information anywhere!! CON and VAL. They are not there? Does this mean I'm not paired? Can someone tell me exactly where these values are supposed to be? I'm really at my wits end. It's been 10 days now that I've had the Bolt but can't watch cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really have tried everything. Thanks!!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    CCPair.JPG CCStatus.JPG cc-1.JPG cc-2.JPG

As for pictures of a Motorola card (NOT a SA/Cisco card).

The lockup at "loading %" thing is not unknown. Bolt can't complete guided setup

What I would do:
    Pull the cable card.
    Repeat Guided Setup for OTA and your zipcode.
    Repeat GS for cable (use Install Later option)
    Install cable card.
    Call for pairing.

New Bolt or the one that didn't work on the Frontier thread?

Obviously you remove power when flipping the Bolt.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  3. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I'm not seeing any of that info on my screens. None of it. Thanks for posting. I appreciate it. And I've pretty much done all of that a bunch of times.

It's the same Bolt. I did get another one, but I didn't want to open the box because everything I've read here says it's never the box and always the cable company. Do you have any thoughts about that?

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't have a Bolt. I have a Roamio without a cable card and it won't let me look at those screens. I have two Roamio with cable cards. My cable company is very good with cable cards. I do disagree with "it's always the cable company". It could still be a bad cable card, but that's rare.

If you can make it though the steps I listed, maybe something will give you an error that can help. Try a nearby zipcode also.

5. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018

Advertisements

when you say repeat guided set up for OTA, what does that mean. Sorry, I'm okay at this stuff, but not a wiz and I'm not seeing that as an option, but not sure where to look. Thank you!!

6. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I just realized that's part of the name of the Roamio, and not an actual set-up option. Oy!!

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When you hit the TiVo button, you see TiVo Central with TE3. With TE4 you see Home.
    TE3: Help, Reset to Defaults, Repeat Guided Setup.
    TE4: Menu, Help, Reset to Defaults, Repeat Guided Setup.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It is part of Guided Setup. You choose cable or Antenna (OTA).

9. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    oh, okay, so I should choose Antenna?

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes. Remember that the task is to see if your unit can complete Guided Setup. If it works for OTA, then you can try for cable.

During a guided setup things happen like this:
    choose a country (before choosing, hit Info. Write down the current installed software)
    download any updates
    enter a zipcode
    download possible choices for a lineup
    choose a lineup
    download the channels based on your selected provider
    when prompted, hit the TiVo button and you are done.
    I haven't done a GS in a few months, so I may have missed something.

11. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I haven't had a problem completing guided setup. I've been able to do all of those steps without a problem. I just can't get communication to my cable company.

12. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    So, in trying to complete GS choosing OTA, I am getting an error message (C218). But I don't know if that means anything, because that's not the configuration I want anyway.

13. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    actually it went through the set up the second time. I'm just not sure what that means.

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Good. Now run GS for the real world (cable and your provider).

What software are you running?

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You have to explain what you mean by “can’t get communication with my cable company”.

16. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You realize the OP said he did that already? It seems the OP wa looking at diagnostic screens so guided setup was completed. Also, before talking about cable card screens, it would first be useful to know the brand of the OPs cable card. .

17. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    It's usually the cable company, but not always. I recently purchased a Bolt that had similar problems to yours, stuck at 89% (or whatever) channels loading. It turned out to be a problem with the tuner in the Bolt which made it appear that the cable signal was too weak. The replacement Bolt worked just fine with the same cable and CableCARD.

IMO it would be worthwhile to try your other Bolt.

18. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    Thank you. You are the first person I've seen say that, so maybe I'll try it tonight.

19. tepperleen

tepperleen New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    It's Scientific Atlanta.

Can someone tell me what the head end is? Is that my host ID? Or is it something else? Thanks.

20. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Host ID is Host ID on the screen. "Head end" just means the cable company side of things. When we say the problem is with the head end, that means the cable company has entered the numbers (Host ID, Data string, etc.) wrong, hasn't authorized the card correctly (sent the right "hits") or has some other issue on their side (signal problem, equipment problem, account problem). Your only responsibility is to plug in the card, connect the coax (and possibly tuning adapter) and give them the numbers from the screen.

Cable companies deal with cable cards so rarely that most support people have no idea how to set them up then fumble through and do it wrong. My approach is to quiz them a little to find out if they have any cable card experience, and if they don't, politely end the call and try again until I get an experienced person. This has been the quickest way for me to get results, especially if the company has no dedicated cable card support department.

This may help you understand: https://www.tivo.com/assets/pdfs/CableCARD_Install.pdf

wish_bgr and tepperleen like this.