Bolt can't complete guided setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by stagger44, Jul 25, 2017.

1. stagger44

stagger44 New Member

Jul 25, 2017

Advertisements

Has anybody else had this problem and found a resolution? I ordered a bolt and a mini with the 1st time ever Lifetime Subscription Transfer. But I am unable to get through the final verification step of the guided setup. Tried 3 different Bolts and with ethernet and wireless wifi. Reload command twice on two different Bolts. I found that the tech support people are completely clueless. After the first 6 weeks of waiting for replacement boxes, they shut off my series 2. I asked if they could leave it on while they figure out how to fix my bolt. Now at week number 10 I got a call from the customer no support telling me they have to transfer the service back to the Bolt. I asked if they have a fix yet from there engineers. The response I got, makes me think I'm on a crank call; "no we don't have any date or estimated date or any information regarding a fix for your S308". So I'm supposed to be without tivo service for for an indefinite amount of time on both my old series 2 and my new Bolt and mini. They did offer to charge me $16/mo to keep my series 2 on and then promised to reimburse me after they get my Bolt working. I know somebody else has gone through this. The tech support people are telling me that there is a group of people with this problem. I'm starting to think that the don't have any engineers and will have to outsource this problem. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm thinking I better return this non working equipment before they go bankrupt. I have lost all confidence in Tivo. Any thoughts?

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Who is your cable company? Try to setup your Bolt without the cable card installed.
    You should have filed an FCC complaint within a week of the problem start.
    CableCARD: Know Your Rights

FCC Complaints

Or return the Tivo equipment....it's over your head.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    TiVo in-sourced engineering to the only remaining in-house dept, accounting. That is why they came up with the solution they proposed.

Seriously though, your problem is very likely a system problem on TiVo's side. This can be fixed. I suggest you keep escalating or message TiVo Margaret.

If you are on Comcast, for fun, try configuring for OTA to see if that makes a difference. Comcast made a change that jacked up the amount of guide data by 50% when they added a duplicate layer of channel #s in the 1000s.

5. stagger44

stagger44 New Member

Jul 25, 2017

Advertisements

Thanks, but, they haven't really proposed or promised anything meaningful. I'm supposed to patiently wait with no time frame or communications from engineering.

When you "system problem", can you explain? I'm as completely clueless as the "tech no-support.

Any suggestions on getting a message through to Margret Schmidt or somebody that can actually help?

I tried the OTA config too, no luck.

6. stagger44

stagger44 New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    The cable company is Spectrum. But I tried OTA too. I was following directions and attempting to complete the guided setup prior to installing the cable card. So I was thinking this is all Tivo so far. I can't do anything with my Bolt other than continue to rerun the guided setup over and over.

Just thought maybe someone had a resolution.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    margret@tivo.com

Include as much data as possible. Like TSN, link to this thread, etc., and good luck.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I am just generically referring to some problem on their end. Could be how your account is set up. Could be something related to your TSN. Could be some server issue.

S308 could be multiple issues. If your unit is connecting to TiVo at all, they should be able to grab the logs to figure out specifically what is going on. Regular support wouldn't be able to do this, but if you escalate enough, eventually you'll find someone who can.

Out of curiousity are you at any point able to get to the TiVo main menu where you can then go to settings and test the network connection or are you stuck in Repeat Guided Setup loop?

9. stagger44

stagger44 New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Thanks, I give it a try.

10. stagger44

stagger44 New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Now that is the kind of answer I've been missing after being escalated 5 weeks ago. I'm stuck in an endless tier one no-support status.
    These poor tier one people don't have any support either.
    No, not able to get to the main menu, just endless guided setup. But my series 2 gets all it's updates from that same ethernet cable.

I was told to unplug it until they get a fix and I asked to have my series 2 turned back on. Then today I was told that there was a fix attempted last when my Bolt was shut down. But they don't know if and when that will be attempted again. So the bolt is back on and the lifetime service is supposedly assigned to it again. Back to endless guided setup. Augh!

11. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Bummer.

Have you considered some 'outside the box' ideas?

Maybe try putting your Router in DMZ mode to your TiVo for a couple attempts. You'd probably need to verify what IP it gets and 'Reserve' it.

Maybe try different DNS Servers? Set up the Network 'manually' and either use the Google DNS Servers or maybe OpenDNS. Or, try a different ISP's DNS Servers?

Maybe plug your TiVo directly in to your modem, if you've got a separate router? You'd probably need to restart your modem.

Connect via WIFi to your Cell Phone HotSpot?

Who knows...might work?

-KP

12. stagger44

stagger44 New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    No I haven't tried the DMZ configurations yet. But, if I'm getting a good connection for my series 2 and testing good with netflix/ blueray player and laptop pc, could it still be DMZ or DNS causing me to fail the verification final step in the guided setup? Do you think it's possible that the Bolt is rejecting the final verification because it is configured to reject specific servers?

13. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Those are all different servers, so it's hard to say...

-KP

14. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I would try putting in a new hard drive to rule out a bad hard drive.

15. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    He's tried 3 different Bolt units. Massive unlucky if it is HD problem. I wouldn't risk warranty issues or blame game when TiVo is supposed to be taking care of this problem.

16. stagger44

stagger44 New Member

Jul 25, 2017
    ok, got some actual tech support, thanks to your suggestion. Margret had another tech ask me to try pinging the tivo server, but why is it that I can't ping or traceroute any site with any pc in my home? I am able to successfully ping and traceroute using my Motorola 6580 cable router/modem gui, but not using a command prompt. I can use the ipconfig commands, but not ping or traceroute. Could Spectrum somehow be blocking this only when using a command prompt? Could this somehow be affecting the tivo bolt too?

17. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Well, as I suggested in post #11, you might have a DNS issue, or a router firewall issue (hence the DMZ suggestion).

Maybe you should try them?

-KP

18. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    No, it's your router is blocking ping packets. Why, who knows - perhaps it's a security setting, or maybe it's the design of the router. Your router can do it, so the ISP is fine. But your PC can't behind the router, so it's the router itself is breaking something.

I don't know if you got a modem/router combo unit or a separate modem and router. I also don't know if it's your personal unit or one provided by the ISP. Combo units suck - they're built to be cheap and generally have very poor configuration - they're really meant for people to do basic things online and that's it. Triply so if it's provided by your ISP who to reduce support costs, basically disable most of the options and as long as you can see their home page, you're good. Anything fancier and things likely don't work.

The best solution would be to buy a separate modem and separate router and get them hooked up. Let the modem just be a modem and that's it, then invest in a medium priced router - none of the cheap crap because they're, well, crap. But unless you've got a really fast connection, or do online gaming or other high end applications, you don't need the top of the line router either (i.e., no need to spend $200, either). This might be good if you want to invest in better WiFi at home, or wanted to move the WiFi to a better location in the house.

19. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Out of curiosity, can you ping and traceroute machines on your local network?

20. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It's pretty odd that you can't ping an ip address outside your network.

Ping is one of the first things I try when a client is having internet access issues. Many Routers do have a setting for blocking Incoming Ping Requests, but it should not block outgoing at all. I suppose an ISP 'could' block that, but I've never seen it.

Can you Ping Google.com? Or one of it's IP Address'? Try 172.217.6.174 . If you can ping the IP Address, but not the Name, that's a DNS issue.

Here are the DNS Servers my Router is set to:

DNS 1
    DNS 2
    DNS 3

Give them a try?

Have you tried DMZ yet?

http://arris.force.com/consumers/ar...580-DMZ-Host-Setup/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

You can turn it right back off...

-KP

ClearToLand likes this.