Bolt cable tuner apparently has a narrow range for reception.

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by aphoid, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jul 3, 2017 #1 of 10
    aphoid

aphoid Member

Jul 7, 2013
    The past couple of months, I've been having trouble with my Bolt either having break-ups or no signal on some channels. The signal on our cable modem and the Bolt were apparently pretty weak, so they sent out a guy. The Spectrum (né TWC) guy came out and spent a couple hours here doing some rewiring, removed one splitter, added another, moved stuff around, added a different splitter, and then set things up so that the Bolt and ran off of a splitter and not daisy-chained from the tuning adapter. This worked for a while, but then channels started breaking up again. During this time, I gleaned that apparently the Bolts are known for having a more sensitive tuner than many devices, and while for most things they work in a ±7 dB range, the Bolt apparently works in a ±3 dB range.

I spent this past weekend trying out a few more things: At their advice, I swapped the tuning adapter ("Those have a lifetime of 5 years and you've had yours the better part of a decade")... no difference.. then I called back and was told to try swapping the cable card. (No, another hour in the car + 15 minutes waiting in line).

Since the guy on the phone with the tuning adapter and cable card swaps both said I had plenty strong signal, I though it might be too strong for the Bolt. I went on Amazon, found a "3 dB coax attenuator" for $6 shipped, put it between the Tivo and the first coax, and viola!, my channels are clear again.

... I still might drop Cable after this though. Probably the last straw....

... BUT, if you're having trouble, consider both too strong AND too weak a signal as possible problems.

2. Jul 3, 2017 #2 of 10
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Good story. What signal strength and SNR is your Bolt happy with (TiVo Diagnostics)?

3. Jul 3, 2017 #3 of 10
    aphoid

aphoid Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Signal strengths seem to be in the low 70's and upper 60's, with SNR's in the upper 20's. Before the attenuator, the strengths were in the mid 60's and the SNR's were in the low-mid 20s.

4. Jul 4, 2017 #4 of 10
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A signal of 72% is sort of a standard after AGC adjusts it. A SNR of over 30dB would be better, but if it's working be happy.

5. Jul 4, 2017 #5 of 10
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Not on cable. Signal should be in the 80 plus with a SNR at least 25. OTA AGC will settle at 72

6. Jul 4, 2017 #6 of 10
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I agree, or maybe not so much since I feel cable should be 87/90 with SNR 35/36db. Yes on 72% for OTA though. But these are basic Roamio numbers. A Premiere/Plus/+ may vary.

7. Jul 9, 2017 #7 of 10
    doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    I'm having this problem as well on a 2 month old Bolt+ - with good signals. I'm on Verizon FiOS. I've got 95%/38dB, but I can't want NBCSports at the moment and I can watch the RS Uncorrected climbing. All channels show some RS Corrected numbers, and I get various levels of uncorrected errors. I've tried attenuators - I've got a 6dB on there right now.

It seems worse when the ODT is higher - they say 70 is normal, but that's when things seem to get worse. I've got two HD and one Premiere unit. NONE of them show any RS errors or visible problems even at the same drop. The premiere is actually on a weaker drop right now and zero errors.

I've swapped cable cards, so that's not the issue.

I've already had the Bolt+ replaced - replacement arrived yesterday. If anything, the replacement is worse. It seems to me there is a fundamental problem with them as I've eliminated everything but the unit, but two of them having the same issue is aggravating. And the exchange process was a disaster with customer service - I opted for the "advanced exchange" so they were going to charge me the price of the unit and refund it later - but they charged my card multiple times - 12 to be exact. I may be done with TiVo.

8. Jul 9, 2017 #8 of 10
    compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    Your SNR is a little hot. I would maybe throw another splitter before the bolt and see if it helps

9. Jul 9, 2017 #9 of 10
    doconeill

doconeill Unix Guru

Dec 13, 2002
    West of Boston
    I've been as high as -16dB on the attenuators. Got that on now. It's been better for longer, but I also relocated it to try a bit more air. It's starting to break down again after about 30 minutes, but it also took longer to warm up. ODT is back up to 71 now.

I should add, I'm at 35dB SNR now.

As a Series 3 (HD) veteran, I'm used to the "signal too hot" issue, but they fixed that in software somehow. That's why I have attenuators. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  10. compnurd

Oct 6, 2011
    35 is better