Bolt, Black or White box???

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jccfin, Apr 28, 2016.

1. jccfin

jccfin Member

Aug 28, 2008

Advertisements

I ordered a Bolt last week from Best Buy and received it in the mail on Tuesday. Unfortunately, they didn't double box it and the unit came with something rattling inside the Bolt. That outer cardboard box was black as were others I've seen at Best Buy.

I quickly reordered another for pickup yesterday and picked it up today. To my surprise, the box is completely white. Does anyone know about the white boxed version? Is there a difference?:confused:

The box says 1000GB instead of 1TB on the black boxes. I looked on the bottom of the units and the old one was also made in the fall of last year in Mexico so I'm not sure what the deal is?

Attached Files:

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    My black box had "1000 GB".

The white box is new. There's probably no product difference though.

3. jccfin

jccfin Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Hmmm..anyone else see white boxed versions? I would hope that it's the case. I sure wouldn't want to have a refurb or gray market item. Although there's probably little chance of that coming from Best Buy?

4. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Does the box say 1 year of service included? The so called introductory pricing including one year of service ends may 2 and tivo will have to change the box to no longer read 1 year of service included if that is what changes when the so called introductory pricing is over.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=539622

5. jccfin

jccfin Member

Aug 28, 2008

Advertisements

Ah! I see that there's a gray label on the side of the box that says "TiVo Service Required" No mention of 1 year of service. That must be the reason for the new white box. I never realized that the old black box had that 1 year of service included printed on the box...are you sure that was printed on the box?

6. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    Yes, it's printed right on the box (black):

IMG_0054.jpg

7. jccfin

jccfin Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Thanks, I guess that clear things up. It looks like the white boxes are in fact the new packaging. Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So did BestBuy basically screw you by sending you a box that doesn't include a year of service? The 1TB Bolt without a year of service retails for only $299. $199 for the 500GB Bolt without a year of service.

9. jccfin

jccfin Member

Aug 28, 2008
    No no no...the free 1 year service was available to me when I registered the machine. I don't think that's attached to the machine themselves, just when you register?

But you bring up a great point. If I'm looking to buy lifetime service should I have waited until after May 2? Would the price drop after that? I wonder if I walked into Best Buy next week and asked for a refund of the difference would they give it to me? Sort of the best of both worlds!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If your receipt shows the same model number as the Bolt without the year of service, then they should price match it.

11. Droppie

Droppie New Member

Jul 28, 2016
    This is confusing, I got delivered the black box from Best Buy. Shouldn't I be getting the white one?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  12. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    NO! The black boxed Bolts include the one year free service, so if you paid the lower price on the newer v2 white boxed Bolts but got the old one, count your blessings!

To be fair though, you should contact them and explain. They'll probably just tell you to keep it anyway, but at least you did the right thing. :)

13. tivoyahoo

tivoyahoo New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    How did it go with activation and the 1 year included service on the black box version?