Bolt Beeping..

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by koof, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Mar 2, 2018 #1 of 27
    koof

koof New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Hi everyone. I’ll preface this by saying I’m kind of illiterate when it comes to anything TiVo - I’ve had a Premiere for a few years and just upgraded. I still don’t fully understand them.

So I bought a used, “like new” Bolt on eBay. I don’t doubt that’s the case, it seems to be in extremely good condition (perfect, really), no signs of wear on the device or remote.. It was upgraded to 2TB, so that was a definite plus (no more worrying about shows getting deleted and such). I started transferring the shows (after several phone calls) from my Premiere to the Bolt yesterday, and the Bolt keeps making beeping noises periodically. I’m trying to figure out whether or not I should be worried.. Nothing is visibly happening when it beeps, and since I just hooked it up yesterday, I haven’t had time to see whether or not it beeps even when not transferring content.. Could someone with some technical background or knowledge give me some insight as to whether or not this is normal? I wonder what questions I should be asking the seller, if this happens to not be normal... Thank you.

2. Mar 2, 2018 #2 of 27
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I'd start with checking the System Temperature.

It's in System Info.

-KP

3. Mar 2, 2018 #3 of 27
    koof

koof New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    I believe if I checked it correctly, it’s 61°.. is that normal? I will say, it felt somewhat warm yesterday, but I didn’t know how to check that at the time. It also makes a constant noise, like a computer constantly on.. I didn’t get that with my Premiere, so I don’t know if that’s normal for Bolts or not..

4. Mar 2, 2018 #4 of 27
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    141*F is pretty toasty, but not that unheard of.

Is there anything you can do to maybe relocate it temporarily to try to get the temp to drop. Maybe that will stop the beeping. I wasn't even aware they could beep, so it's mostly a wag...

-KP

5. Mar 2, 2018 #5 of 27
    koof

koof New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    It’s sitting on my dresser in the open with nothing blocking it.. I’m not sure what I could do to bring it down?

6. Mar 2, 2018 #6 of 27
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Well, there's no shortage of discussion about how to lower a Bolt's internal temp, but lifting the Bolt on 'feet' seems like the best 'bang for the buck'...

-KP

7. Mar 2, 2018 #7 of 27
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    61°C (ODT in System Info) is normal for the Bolt
    (mine is at 59° right now).
    Didn't know that the Bolt beeped. The Remote does (I use a Harmony, and keep the TiVo remote next to the Bolt. I once hit the 'find remote' button on the back of the Bolt by accident and took a minute for me to figure out where the beeping was coming from :))

8. Mar 2, 2018 #8 of 27
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, are you sure it's the BOLT beeping and not its remote control? My Roamio's RF remote control was beeping at me the other night... I'm assuming because the batteries were critically low. Replaced the batteries and all was well again.

9. Mar 2, 2018 #9 of 27
    koof

koof New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    It’s coming from the actual system.. I was wondering if maybe it had to do with transferring content, or if it had to do with the hard drive.. This is all foreign to me lol.

krkaufman likes this.
  10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Moving parts are the fan and hard drive (no speaker in the bolt).
    I would suspect the hard drive
    (run with the case open to see if you can isolate the sound).
    Did you install the drive? If not, since the Tivo is used, I would consider buying another 2T Hard Drive. (I use the WD20NPVZ)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    jfdiv likes this.
  11. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Is a UPS hooked to it? Those things beep

12. koof

koof New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    I can check when I get the chance.. I did not install the drive, I purchased it that way. I don’t know that I’m capable of doing it myself.. I definitely don’t want to spend $100 extra and make an unsuccessful attempt either :/

13. koof

koof New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    I don’t know what that is, so I don’t think so, ha.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    UPS == Uninterruptible Power Supply (battery backup)

15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Then, don't open the case, the HD is located on the left front, listen there. If the HD is beeping consider returning the Bolt to the eBay Seller.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I can't see how the Bolt itself would be beeping as others have mentioned above since no speaker. Squeaking maybe from the moving parts (fan or hard drive) but that seems unlikely to be mistaken for beeping.

Any chance you could record this and post it somewhere so we could see/hear it?

Scott

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  17. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    how often are the beeps and are you absolutely sure it is the Bolt beeping? I have been tricked trying to locate sounds sometimes. Check your smoke detectors. Those are designed to be heard everywhere.

18. CIR-Engineering

CIR-Engineering Video Calibration & Electronics Repair Engineer

Sep 24, 2017
    Chicago USA...
    The fan speed modulation on early BOLT's caused a beeping sound to come from the circuit board. What's the manufacture date. If it's early than there is no problem.

craigr

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    OP was last seen Friday at 9:58am.... :(

Scott

20. koof

koof New Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Sorry I haven’t updated.. I don’t want to leave anyone hanging. I contacted the seller who said he never had the issue I was having, but it seemed the beeping stopped after transferring everything from my old TiVo to the Bolt, so I just left it. Turns out it didn’t stop, it still beeps occasionally (though it doesn’t happen as often). I can’t pinpoint why, because it’s not always when something is recording either. I guess I’ve just decided to keep it, and I’m just praying it won’t die ok me. And I guess I can do what a PP said and check the manufacture date.