Bolt and Premier not being used

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Nortnarg, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Does anyone use a TiVo without the service?
    I have two that are collecting dust on the shelf and have tried to sell, but no one around me knows what a TiVo is it seems.
    I was wondering though if I could make use of them on another Tv without the service. The Bolt I use has a lifetime all in service.

2. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I've had no issue selling them on eBay...... The lifetime Bolt would sell quickly. Heck for the right price I would buy the Bolt with a lifetime service.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The only use for a Tivo without service is as a Digital to analog OTA converter box for an older TV without a digital tuner, but you won't have any guide data or even PSIP guide data that comes with the Digital OTA signal, but you could pause live TV with the 30 minute buffer.

4. Wayoverpar1

Wayoverpar1 Member

May 19, 2017
    Coeur d'...
    I'm probably going to pick up a Bolt to use for parts in case one of my lifetime has issues. There are quite a few units listed on Facebook that are less then what a new remote would cost.

Nortnarg likes this.
  5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think the only parts you could use are the remote, hard drive and power supply.

6. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Without service, there isn't that much use for them other than for parts. You could probably sell them on ebay for a few bucks, but honestly without lifetime service they really aren't worth all that much. It might not be worth the effort to sell them. If the hard drive on your Bolt with lifetime ever dies, you can just pull the hard drive out of the Bolt without service and stick it in.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Nortnarg and aaronwt like this.
  7. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    A lifetime Bolt has service and is worth something.

8. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    And there's also the fan, the cablecard bracket, the outer plastic shell if it's in good shape, and probably some other odds and ends that could potentially be useful.

shwru980r likes this.
  9. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I read his post to mean he's currently using the Bolt with lifetime, and that he wants to get rid of another Bolt without lifetime on it.

10. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    That is correct. TiVo had an offer on the Black Bolt with lifetime that I wanted to jump on, so I have a white Bolt that was used only about a year before finding a spot on a closet shelf.

Thanks to all. This gives me some ideas.
    It seems sad to me that among my family and friends TiVo is not more popular.
    I feel like the unused Bolt is worth keeping for possible parts, HDD etc. The Premier, not so much.