Bolt and MOCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by sjmaye, Nov 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. sjmaye

sjmaye Techie Wannabe

Aug 28, 2003
    Hendersonvil...

Advertisements

Hi,

I am successfully running my BOLT with two Minis using the built-in MOCA network. My question is if I can connect my PC to this network using other MOCA components I already have like the one below.
    [​IMG]

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes that will work fine, up to 175Mbps.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What fcfc2 said, with the caveat that the ECB2500C adapter's throughput is limited by its Fast Ethernet port to 100 Mbps.

You could also connect such a MoCA adapter to an isolated network switch to bridge wired connectivity for multiple devices -- or even to a wireless access point if you could also benefit from additional Wi-Fi coverage.

4. sjmaye

sjmaye Techie Wannabe

Aug 28, 2003
    Hendersonvil...
    Great news. Thank you.

5. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...

Advertisements

Ok, this answers one of my questions. I have a Bolt that is acting as a MoCa bridge serving 1 TiVo Mini (with 2 more being added soon). IF I add a MoCa adapter on an outlet and start flowing data to/from my office iMac, could there be a performance impact on the Bolt?

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good question. I haven't seen any reports of hardcore performance testing of the MoCA bridges, but I expect that the MoCA function is isolated to the MoCA chipset and wouldn't have an adverse impact on the BOLT's CPU or RAM, or, therefore, its TiVo functions. It's possible that you could push the MoCA network sufficiently hard from the iMac that you could have an effect on Mini streaming, but I wouldn't expect typical usage to cause any issues.

Just speculation.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    I don't have a certain answer for you. MoCA, assuming you are using the same MoCA channel(s) is a shared network, and in your case is sharing roughly a 400Mbps pipe from the Bolt. Estimates for the maximum data draw for minis are reported to top out at 20Mbps times 3= 60Mbps total. This would leave a potential 340Mbps for use by other devices at a minimum which is quite a large pipe still left over and is plenty for most home networks. I have never see a report of problems of MoCA network congestion on these forums or any other for that matter, so it is extremely unlikely you will run into it as a practical matter. Should you be using a MoCA network and actually run into such a problem, the fix would be to simply create another MoCA network to split the load. There are enough MoCA channels to create 2 MoCA 2.0 networks or several MoCA 1.1 networks. Verizon used to do this when one of their customers had more than 7 boxes and their equipment was still only MoCA 1.0.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. Jimf1234

Jimf1234 Member

Feb 11, 2009
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I personally prefer using a standalone MoCA adapter as the MoCA bridge, when budget allows, to avoid MoCA outages that would otherwise occur when my MoCA-capable DVR decided it needed a reboot. If the Minis could only stream content from the DVR and no other MoCA-connected devices were present it would be moot; but since that's not the case (Minis can stream directly from Internet services,...), I prefer the reliability of a standalone adapter.

As for the pipe and which adapter to choose, a pair of ECB6200s is the fastest you'll get, at present, for maxing the bandwidth between your iMac and Ethernet LAN -- assuming you don't opt for one of Actiontec's network extenders for the iMac location. Just remember that MoCA is peer-to-peer and the connection/communication between any two peers will occur at the highest spec'd rate supported by BOTH nodes; therefore, the Minis will always communicate at MoCA 1.1 (<170 Mbps), the BOLT would communicate with either ECB6200 at standard MoCA 2.0 (<400 Mbps), and only the ECB6200s would communicate at the extended/bonded MoCA 2.0 rate (<800 Mbps). And, obviously, any MoCA 2.0 adapters would be pointless if they're not connected to Gigabit Ethernet segments on each side of the MoCA network.

---
    edit: corrected MoCA 1.1 rate for Mini (170 Mbps)

Last edited: May 15, 2018