Bolt 500 tunner issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by kendq, Nov 5, 2018.

1. kendq

kendq Member

Jan 12, 2005

Advertisements

I have a bolt 500 4 tunner box (Not the OTA only ) that was suppose to be compatible with the OTA, but let me say its not. My media computer with a Haupauge dual tuner gets all my signals very strong where as Tivo gives V53 error . I tried the following antennas on the roof .
    Clear stream 2
    antennas direct DB4
    DB8
    and a RCA highly rated atntenna
    all were tested with and without a preamp (no splitters) .
    most my Towers are within 40 miles.
    Knowing it would void any warranty is it possible to replace the tuner in it with one similar to the new ota Bolt or even the old tivo HD duel tuner. I do use the Moca mini feature. I am ready to give up on Tivo but having the mini Moca feature seams to be Tivo only feature.

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    No issue with mine getting fine reception, matching my television's. Before you do something drastic, are you still within the TiVo warranty period? After trying other suggestions that people post here, I would try that route before going nuclear.

3. kendq

kendq Member

Jan 12, 2005
    yes I upgraded from a Tivo HD and noticed right away the poor reception After all the different things they had me try, Tivo replaced it but it made no difference. the stations I do get seem to Pixilate every few seconds

4. aspexil

aspexil Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    How are you connecting the antenna to the Bolt? Through a splitter to the TV and the Bolt? Or directly to the Bolt?

Do you have an amplifier inline? If so have you tried with the amplifier removed? I see you tried both.

5. kendq

kendq Member

Jan 12, 2005

Advertisements

I have tryed with the tivo antenna on the roof and connected direct to the bolt (30 ft RG6 Quad shield cable) with no splitters and have tried both with and without winguard preamp, also tried a old Radio shack signal booster. Tivo support also had me try a antenuator. my computer (The one that gets all the channels) has its own antenna in the attic as all my main signals are coded yellow on the antennaweb website meaning they all should work with rabbit-ears. but in the end I would like to be able to use the moca feature for a mini downstairs which would involve a splitter.

6. aspexil

aspexil Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    I hate to say it but sounds like you need to contact Tivo support again and demand they send a replacement again. Sounds like you've tried the gamut and if they send a 3rd unit and it still is not working I would demand a refund. I have only a slight degradation signal loss on the Tivo compared to the TV connected to the exact same coax (no splitter I just switch the coax from TV to Bolt). Both pickup the same 52 channels.

FYI I use WiFi extenders to connect our Tivo Bolt and our Mini in the basement (one extender on each device). Not supported by Tivo but has been working for us. Worse comes to worse we have to reboot the extenders a couple of times a year to get them to reconnect.