1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bolt: 4 lights flashing and no signal...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rick123, May 19, 2018.

1. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Woke this morning to a non-functioning Bolt.

All 4 lights on right front (yellow orange green red) are rapidly flashing and the display says "No signal......".

If I unplug and replug the green light comes on and the Tivo logo is briefly displayed, then the 4 lights start rapidly flashing and the display says it's message.

The mini using this bolt of course is also down but able to move to our Roamio which is working fine.

Any thoughts. The Bolt does have an upgraded hard drive, but it's less than a year old.

Thanks,

Rick

2. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Looks like a hard drive fail from my search results. Strange, not very old. I'll pop the original back in and see what happens. I hope I don't end up with Hydra!

edit: Yup, popped the old one back in, so far appears operational as it boots up and is getting an update. Hope it's not Hydra.. will report final results...

edit 2: Back in service with the original 500GB HD and the non-Hydra interface. Will probably just roll with it rather than get another larger drive. With the kids out of the house and all the streaming options I have found we just don't store as much as we used to. The 2GB drive on our Roamio (I keep copies of stuff we really want on both thankfully...) is our primary show storage drive and even it isn't half full these days.

I remember when changing the HD was an entire afternoon affair!!!

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What hard drive did you use for the upgrade (asking since SMR models have been known to stop working like this in Bolts after a period of time)?

Scott

4. rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    The HD that failed was a 2TB Seagate Mobile HDD ST2000LM007. A quick search seems to say that all Seagate drives are SMR, so maybe this is part of the trend. Good to know if I put another in I won't choose Seagate. Thanks.

So the HD I put in that is working is the original HD. I believe I did initialize and set up the Bolt unit with the original HD inside prior to the hard drive swap to be sure it worked. If I had put in a new off-the-shelf HD, would I have got the Hydra interface as part of the set up or would I have received the non-Hydra interface?

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    There's a thread in the Bolt forum regarding this issue and not using SMR drives (Seagates are most often mentioned).

4 Lights Flashing on Bolt

With a new drive, it's possible that you would get the Hydra update but I'm not positive on that.

Scott

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It should stay on the current UI when you put a new drive in it.

HerronScott likes this.
  7. jjames68

jjames68 New Member

Nov 21, 2016
    just had the issue and ordered a drive from weaknees, solved issue, guess I should of bought the extended warranty, oh well, back up and running now