Bolt, 3 Premieres, and a Mini all talking to each other?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by dtyree, Dec 20, 2016.

1. dtyree

dtyree New Member

Dec 24, 2010

Advertisements

I've looked around the forums but I couldn't get a clear answer to this situation.
    I have several TV's around the house. All of them (except one)have a Premiere attached. The Premieres are connected via CAT5 and all of them see each other and the Tivo mothership just fine.

All of the Premieres are the low end version, not the 4 or the XL.

One of the Premieres has been pulled and replaced with a Bolt and it's connected via CAT5 for now. Unfortunately the new Bolt is getting that C423 error when i try to access the other boxes but that's not my question. (They really need to fix that SOON!)

I've been asked to get a Tivo connected to the one tv that does not have CAT5 access. I'm sure i can set up a MOCA connection so that a Tivo Mini can go in that spot and it can see the Bolt via MOCA.

My question is about the MOCA connected Mini being able to see the Premieres that are interconnected via CAT5.

Can a MOCA connected Mini see and interact with my Premieres that are running CAT5? I would expect the Mini to see and interact with the Bolt via MOCA but what about the Premiers?

Thanks

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good question.

I know the Mini will be able to stream recorded content from those Premieres so long as the Mini is accessing the content via the Devices listing at the bottom of its 'My Shows' listing, published by the BOLT set as the Mini's host DVR.

I believe that the Mini won't be able to configure any of the 2-tuner Premieres as its host DVR, and so wouldn't be able to watch live TV via any of the Premieres, access the Channel Guide from or manage scheduled recordings for any of the Premieres, etc.

If the host DVR is unavailable, the Mini can be redirected to the 'My Shows' listing from one of the Premieres, but I can't say, off the top of my head, whether the Mini could do anything more than playback existing recordings.

I really wish they'd eliminate the 4-tuner requirement, if only to allow management access from the Minis -- even if they had to restrict live TV viewing to do so.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think krkaufman mis-read your primary question, but the info in his post is good.

To answer your question, if you connect a Mini via MoCA it will be able to see the other TiVos connect via Ethernet.

Everything is on one network just using different connection tech, WiFi could be a third way to connect to the same network. As an example if you want to stream content from your Bolt to an android or iOs device those devices would be connecting to your Network via WiFi.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Given the actual question was scoped as "see and interact" and implying similar functionality available whether seeing and interacting with a BOLT or Premiere...
    ... a simple network visibility response seemed to undershoot the OP's actual needs. The issue of MoCA and Ethernet devices just being on different segments of the same LAN is moot if a Mini can't actually directly connect with any of the Premieres owing to TiVo's 4+tuner requirement for host DVR selection.

So, having implicitly covered the connectivity issue in my first sentence, by describing the functionality they could expect, I wanted to clarify what they could expect in terms of interacting with the Premieres, in contrast to interaction with a "host DVR."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  5. dtyree

dtyree New Member

Dec 24, 2010

Advertisements

Sounds like the general opinion is that i would be able to stream anything from my other Tivo's (Premieres and Bolt) to the Mini and also watch live tv by having the Mini take over one of the tuners in the Bolt.
    and BTW, the C423 error seems to have disappeared. i am able to transfer from the Premieres to the Bolt now. Seems like the people at the Tivo mothership might have gotten it fixed.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct, though the whole "take over one of the tuners in the BOLT" will be transparent to the user, linked to the configuration of the BOLT as the Mini's "host DVR." (To be clear, TiVo only allows BOLTs, Roamios and 4-tuner Premieres to be configured as the host DVR for Minis.)

The Premieres should appear as device icons at the bottom of the "My Shows" listing on the Mini, or can be accessed with less clutter via the 'Devices' "My Shows" category, as pictured in this image pulled from the Interweb...

MyShows_Devices.png

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You may already be aware of this but I was a bit annoyed to find that we have to queue transfers from the receiving DVR's UI, rather than being able to do so from a Mini connected to the receiving DVR. On the plus side, being able to queue transfers from TiVo Online has been a boon.

8. Murrow

Murrow New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I was getting C423 as recently as last night, but I just checked again, and it's finally all working again. This makes me very happy! Hopefully, it's fixed for good.

9. Cheetah

Cheetah New Member

Mar 20, 2015
    I was getting the C423 Error as of last night. So Murrow, no reset Router and Tivo's to get it to come back? I just checked at 7:10 California time and get the C423. This is my Bolt trying to look at my Roamio