Bogus "New" Episodes

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by missingwings, Jan 12, 2020.

1. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    I have SNL set up on OnePass, with Record set to “New only.” The most recent new SNL episode was aired on 12/21/2019, and there won’t be another new episode until 1/25/2020. And yet, for the last two weeks, “old” episodes of SNL have appeared in my Recordings group (e.g. the 11/16/2019 episode was included and was listed as being first aired on 1/11/2020, when in fact there was no actual new episode aired on that date). Is this a TiVO issue or is some other entity responsible for determining what is considered “New?” Anyone else having this same issue?

p.s. I haven’t noticed this with any other OnePass program, in case that’s relevant.

Puppy76 likes this.
  2. EWiser

EWiser Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    This happens a lot with cable channels when they do Marathon’s of a show. You can get a ton of old shows.

3. gbrown

gbrown Member

Oct 31, 2006
    They get to change the title OR it is "new" to the channel. That's how it shows up as NEW.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's not. Same thing happens with Jimmy Kimmel Live! and Late Night. Probably many others. TiVo likes to change the guide. Someday they may get it right. Just don't hold your breath.

5. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I, too, see this with quite a few shows. I also got SNL and it didn't say new (it happens quite a lot w/SNL) but I let it record, just in case, only to find out it's a rerun.

I'm seeing an increase, lately, in miss-calls by the guide. C'mon, Rovi. You've been on it for a while now and one might think you'd have this figured out.

Puppy76 likes this.
  6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    You're funny.

sharkster likes this.
  7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    When any show has, within parenthesis, an "R", that's a repeat. But all the metadata doesn't matter if it is not observed by the TDL. It's only been the last few months that TiVo has restarted adding the premiere date to the end of episodes. With SNL, the 1/18 episode has the "R". I have free time, so I just run through my TDL and kill what I know is a repeat.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  8. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I have a lot of time on my hands so I also make frequent trips through the TDL to delete stuff. I know I'm kind of weird about it but I don't want a bunch of stuff recorded that shouldn't be and if there are too many things in My Shows I will start getting anxious. It's like clutter for me. Weird, I know.

9. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    Was happening with New Amsterdam and The Conners too.

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Any time TiVo doesn't have specific information for an episode, this will happen. You can recognize it because the episode description will be a generic description of the series instead of what is actually happening in the episode, and the broadcast date will be the date of the series instead of a particular episode. The episode will be recorded because the episode might be a new one, the information available just doesn't say either way.

TiVo has worked this way since day one, it just becomes more noticeable at times when the guide data is less well maintained, such as when suppliers were changed a while ago, during Christmas break and during the summer.

mattack and unclehonkey like this.
  11. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    yesterdays SNL did not have program info. Just the metadata. SO thats why it recorded

12. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    It's not that weird.

JandS and sharkster like this.
  13. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I’ve had this happen with the simpsons in syndication a ton, but lately Seth and snl and the Saturday morning shows too. It’s getting annoying.

is it always a sure thing that it’s a repeat though? Has it ever been new, just without guide data? I’m seeing this a dozen times a week now, and I’m getting scared to delete the probably fake entries.

14. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yes, once in a while it happens for new episodes. For major shows it is pretty rare for it not to be corrected before the episode airs, but it has happened. For obscure shows not on the big networks it happens more frequently.

1) What channel is is scheduled to air on? If not the primary channel, it's a repeat?
    2) What time-slot? It is very rare for a new episode to broadcast out of its schedule. An exception is when a show is rescheduled due to a sportsball game, as "Jeopardy" often is.
    3) Is there a regular airing in the scheduled timeslot that week? If so, the others are a repeat.

I used to obsess about this. Nowadays if I miss an episode and it's not available on Hulu I buy it on Amazon. For CW shows I'm starting to buy it on Amazon instead of watching the TiVoed version.

Puppy76 likes this.
  15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Look at The Tonight Show and The Late Show for 1/17. Both are generic and repeats in the TiVo guide. But this is "normal". Tomorrow both may get corrected. Any data past 1/17 is unreliable and has been for a long time. On Gracenote The Tonight Show is shown as new.

16. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Probably my biggest complaint with TIVO and its guide provider. I see NEW listed for 3:00am repeats of programs from several years ago etc.

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TiVo IS the guide provider. Others:
    Zap2it.com is Gracenote
    TitanTV.com is its own (or doesn't use a copyright)
    tvguide.com and tv.com use CBS Interactive. TiVo used to supply tv.com until a few months ago.

18. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Same problem has been happening with Undercover Boss reruns on CNBC... :rolleyes:

19. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Same thing on the Maury show on CW+ affiliates. They are 2 years old and not the new episodes yet Tivo says they are new.

20. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    I actually think at least 2 of the Seth Meyers from last week had generic guide data, but were new :-/