Bogus Guide info

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by The Godfather, May 9, 2017.

1. May 9, 2017 #1 of 14
    The Godfather

The Godfather New Member

May 9, 2017

Advertisements

There is so much bad program info on my TiVo now. Why the hell did Tivo switch the company they get guide info from. Our One Passes are recording repeats and not recording new episodes because of bad info on the episodes. Started keeping track, but now there is way to many mistakes. And why should I have to? Have been a TiVo customer for almost 15 yrs now and the product has just turned to crap.
    American Pickers on History is tagged as season 15 shows with episode numbers up to 46 now. Season 15 had 12 episodes. The latest marked as 46 is actually Season 17 episode 8!!
    We never had these problems until the last 6 months. Now we can't trust TiVo One Pass to record for us. I feel like TiVo has run it's course.

2. May 9, 2017 #2 of 14
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The old TiVo Inc. was purchased last year by Rovi Corporation (which then changed the company name to TiVo Corporation), which has its own show data info. service; understandably, the TiVo "division" switched to its company's own data info. service rather than continuing to use the outside service it was using. Unfortunately, there have been, um, deficits. :(

3. May 9, 2017 #3 of 14
    The Godfather

The Godfather New Member

May 9, 2017

4. May 9, 2017 #4 of 14
    The Godfather

The Godfather New Member

May 9, 2017
    So my gut feeling was right. TiVo as we used to know it has run its course. There's sooo many better options out there now anyway. I'm so glad I didn't spend the $$ for lifetime service when we hot our last new box. Hindsight, we won. Gonna dump our monthly and move on. Either to an Xfinity dvr or steaming/ online. My Google calendar can keep track of shows better than this foolish new company. Too bad, it was a good run.

5. May 9, 2017 #5 of 14
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

Interesting. For me, going OTA, TiVo still seems to be the best of the bunch. But I'm also not spending $550 for lifetime . . . .

RoamioPete and The Godfather like this.
  6. May 9, 2017 #6 of 14
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Good luck with whichever option you pick. We have upgraded from 2 S3 OLED with lifetime to a Roamio Pro with lifetime/All-in in 2015 when they were offering the longtime TiVo user promotion and are still very happy with it. For the shows that we record, we aren't having any recording issues and I'm pretty sure that the Xfinity DVR doesn't let me transfer shows to and from my PC as well as access Amazon Prime, Hulu, Pandora or eHeartRadio (I think it does Netflix now).

Scott

7. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'm in your boat and personally find my TiVo's unreliable at the very core of what they should do - record shows and series. It has gotten better, but really left a bad taste in my mouth of having it miss what it never missed in the past.

That said, amazon, vudu, pandora, plex, hulu, youtube, netflix + DVR give me what I need in one place. If Apple would open up to allow itunes movies on tivo I'd continually throw them money.

The X1 DVR is not your old school cable box and I did upgrade it, however the lack of apps means I need other boxes.

8. The Godfather

The Godfather New Member

May 9, 2017
    Again tonight. Premiere is recording Alaska:TLF Hometsead Secrets. The title is wrong. And it says first airing is 5.10.2017. The episode actually aired first Jan 29, 2017 ! Thought I had already seen this episode. All the recording errors, missed season finallies, not recording one pass shows etc etc etc is all due to bad/wrong program info.

weavb013 likes this.
  9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    This doesn't appear to be a Rovi guide issue as tvguide.com and screenertv.com (the old zap2it.com which was Tribune guide data) are showing this as a "new" episode with that title (Alaska: The Last Frontier Homestead Homestead Secrets "Secrets of the Boneyard") so looks like Discovery reported it to them as a new/different episode.

Scott

10. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Discovery, not Rovi, is at fault for *MANY* false 'NEW' recordings. :mad:

This was discussed just recently in another thread.

I'm sorry, but at 4:20AM EDT, it's just too late for me to find and LINK it for you..SEARCH under my UserID if you're interested.

11. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    Will people ever stop complaining about Tivo being bought by Rovi? It's done. Time to move on.

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm not seeing much complaining about Rovi having bought TiVo itself--it's issues with the Rovi/TiVo Guide data.

13. idksmy

idksmy Guest

Jul 16, 2016
    But people almost always bring up the acquisition and/or pining for the way things were.

14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I think it's all tied together--people referring back to the acquisition because people blame Rovi for the bad data.