Bob Saget: That Ain't Right (HBO special, 8/25/07) potential spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Aug 19, 2007.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Anyone looking forward to this special, or do you find Bob Saget too irritating to even think of watching?

I've seen comments in the past that say that Saget's stand-up act is about as crude as you can get and the antithesis of what people would expect if all they'd ever seen him in was Full House.

I'm not sure I can take an hour of nothing but him, but I'll probably give it a try and see how his act goes.

2. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    I look forward to seeing this. His standup is quite blue and as far removed from the persona he had during the early '90s.

I can remember first seeing his standup on Comic Relief or something like that in the mid '90s. I rolled my eyes thinking, "Great...Nerf comedy." To my surprise, he was hilarious, quite profane, and all in all a terrific standup.

3. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Watching 1 vs. 100 when it was on, I was wondering how suggestive and lewd Saget would get as a host. Not really all that much there, but of course that isn't a stand-up type role.

4. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    Looking forward to it. I've seen his stand up a couple of times and it's been pretty funny... Nothing like his tv work.

5. mikieminnow

mikieminnow New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    GA
    His role in Entourage amazed me!

6. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    The bit he had on The Aristocrats can give you an idea of where he can go. (ouch!)

I'll probably be setting a recording for that special.

7. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    I'll pass. "Look at me! I was on a bunch of family shows, but I'm really all crude and profane, so the joke's on the squares who liked me on Home Videos and that Olsen Twin show!" Who cares? I still haven't seen any evidence that he's remotely funny.

8. dmaneyapanda

dmaneyapanda Member

Jan 16, 2000
    princeton,nj
    He is hilarious. I will definitely watch and enjoy.

9. FilmCritic3000

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    His standup was profane before he starred on those shows. About twelve years ago, maybe more, I saw him on a Showtime (I believe it was) standup special that was re-airing. It was taped in the early-mid '80s (before Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos). His stand-up was definitely adults-only material back then, as it is now. Nothing's changed.

10. GerryGag

GerryGag New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Hamden, CT
    After seeing him on Entourage and The Aristocrats, as soon as I heard he had an HBO special coming on, I set the wishlist to pick up this special. Looking forward it!!

11. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    The same was the case with Buddy Hackett. He was about as rude and crude as you could be as a stand-up comic, but then he played lovable lugs in movies like Herbie the Lovebug and you'd never know that he was capable of such blue comments.

Supposedly Hackett told a version of the Aristocrats during a Carson hosted Tonite Show that left Carson almost unable to continue the taping of the show. Or so the rumors go.

Anyway, the sugary sweet image that Saget has does irritate me, but I'm game for checking out this stand-up show to see just how funny he can be with no restrictions on him.

12. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    If the bits I've heard from him on XM Comedy 150 is any clue as to the quality of his act, I rate him one step above "hack" He's just plain bad and has very little original material.

13. DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    If you like his type of adult humor, you should watch "Farce of the Penguins"

14. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    I'm aware of that. I still haven't seen anything to lead me believe that he's very funny, but its all in the eye of the beholder.

15. FilmCritic3000

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    So did anyone else watch?

16. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002

I did, but sort of wish that I didn't...

I was falling asleep watching the west coast broadcast. Being very tired and somewhat irritable wasn't helping, but I'd swear that I heard very little that was actually funny. Lots of use of dirty words, but with no humor behind them (for the most part).

The dirty words don't bother me at all, but without some humor there, well, why bother?!

17. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I've seen him do some stand up in the past and he was somewhat funny.

this special was HORRIBLE!! I can usually laugh at most things, but this was just BAD.

18. terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    I was just telling a friend that watching/listening to this special was like watching/listening to someone with Tourette syndrome. Dirty words thrown all over the place seemingly without reason.

19. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I watched this, pretty much what I expected, I've seen enough of his stand up on network channels, to know he isn't funny at all. And the shock value of the swear words got old after about 5 minutes.

How many times did he say "Jessie" during this act. Dude that show is over!

20. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I forget the phrases, but didn't he have like 2-3 phrases he used like 50 times each??