Boardwalk Empire - "To The Lost" - OAD 12/11/11 Season Finale

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Dec 12, 2011.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I cannot believe they really killed him off. I read the spoilers but I was so hoping they were wrong. I don't see how the show can be the same without him. :thumbsdown:

It also makes me dislike the hell out of Nucky. I know he's never really been a good guy or anything but I never actively rooted against him. Now I am. I do think that entire thing was out of character for him but apparently as he told Jimmy "you don't know me at all", neither does the audience. Boo.

So now Richard gets to do what next year? He's not had much of a story outside of Jimmy.

Margaret is really trying to get herself axed. Can't wait to see how that plays out next season.

More Luciano and Rothstein in the works though. YAY!

2. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Jimmy said he died in the trenches of war, but for me he died last week. I hadn't read spoilers, but this was the only creatively acceptable ending after what they did to his character. Jimmy as a coldblooded killer was compeling, interesting, even likeable, but as someone who would continue to kiss his mother back when she approached his lips... well he had to go. Last week I said it was "jump the shark", but it's really a reboot with even a different Nucky & Margaret. And I don't like it. Like The Sopranos (who also killed off its best people) the show burned itself down after a few seasons. I'll probably be back next year for a peek because I'm a gluton, but The Boardwalk Empire I loved died too early.

3. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I hope Nucky shoots Margaret in the face at the start of next season. I never did like her character and I like her way less now.

4. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Oh and my favorite quote to date:

Rothstein: Flip a coin. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for.

5. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Van Alden runs to Cicero, Illinois? I guess he'll be a Chicago gangster next season. How the heck did he get the babysitter to move and pretend to be his wife? Where's his money coming from?

Margaret deserves a bullet next year for that dick move with the land deed. The priest needs to get got too if he accepts it from her.

I think we all saw the Nucky/Margaret marriage from a mile away.

I didn't see Jimmy's death coming at all. His character had outlived his usefulness though. He was totally useless as a leader of businessmen and gangsters. He was basically a small time thug who Peter Principal'd out of his league. Christmas is going to suck this year at the Dormidy house.

I don't like Nucky actually doing the wet work. I prefer him as a behind the scenes murderer. I still don't know why he double-crossed Jimmy. I guess he believed Eli's lie about the shooting. Did Nucky even know who Manny Horvitz was before this episode?

Eli wasn't paying attention during Shakespeare at school.

6. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I assumed Nucky bought Eli's bs with this "I came to you and you spat on me!!" poor me speech. So on top of all that Jimmy has done, he now believes he lied to his face and tried to pin it all on his brother. No wonder he wanted to put a bullet in him. At some point it has to come out that Eli was the one that said to kill him (multiple times). Jimmy just made one bad move after another. He sealed his fate the moment he agreed to Nucky's murder. I think he knew it too and wasn't expecting to come back alive from that meeting given his goodbye to his son and giving him his dog tags and then not allowing Richard to go with him.

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    So what happens with Richard now? Will he ever get a better mask?

8. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    For me it boils down to who is left I like. Rothstein/Lucky/Lansky/Al/Richard... yes. Maybe Richard hops in with that crew. But what type of fictional gangster series has central mob characters who history says can not be killed? The entire Atlantic City crowd is either dead or dislikeable.

How does it come back from that?

9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    To me the show is about Nucky and his long career. Everybody else rotates around and the fictional people are like red shirts on Star Trek, they will eventually be gone and they do not have a measurable impact on history.

10. DanB

DanB New Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    lots of folks dieing usually equals end of contracts.

how many seasons was this show originally planned for?

11. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Are you saying the show would have been good with no Spock/Bones/Scotty/Sulu?

12. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    You know what I am saying. This is a show about a real person. They can't deviate to much from history. As such You can't spend the whole prohibition error with Nucky's great Nemesis being somebody who did not exist.

They are now making transitions (it seems) to other stories such as drugs, and Chicago.

13. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I thought they changed Nucky's name intentionally so they could have creative license to create a fictionalized version of Mr Johnson.

14. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Plausible point! Let's see how the show progresses.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But regardless of what Nucky now believes, having a guy who has betrayed you multiple times, and whom you have in his words "spit upon" when he tried to reconcile with you be a witness to your very first murder is sheer, unadulterated idiocy.

Obviously, this season is about Nucky crossing the line from corrupt politician to gangster. It will be interesting to see when this takes him. And, as mentioned before, how the cast members who until now have revolved around Jimmy will stay in the show.

16. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    They changed what he was to suit Buschemi. He was a giant of a gladhanding politician Irishman.

I kinda doubt the real Nucky said, "Why did God give me this mug?" but Buschemi would. "You know. Funny lookin' "

17. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    They didn't change his name? ummm...:confused:

18. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  19. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    From Wikipedia

Premiering September 19, 2010, an HBO series titled Boardwalk Empire fictionalizes the life and times of "Nucky" Johnson, along with other players, at the start of the Prohibition era in Atlantic City. The series is produced by Martin Scorsese and Mark Wahlberg and stars Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson,[8] a fictionalized version of Johnson.[9] Show creator Terence Winter elected to portray a fictionalized version of Johnson to give the writers creative license with history, and to maintain suspense.

20. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio