Boardwalk Empire - The Age of Reason 10/30/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Family, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Anything would be a letdown after last week, especially when Nelson's personal life is handed this much screen time. I was praying Skank would die. Now with Van Alden's wife seemingly out of the picture must we endure scenes of the two parents and lucky baby?

Will they go anywhere with mom's kisses? I hope they just keep it weird, but it looks like Jimmy has about had enough.

I want some Al Capone next week.

Richard had one line, but it was amongst the best delivered of the nite. And I loved Nucky's "I have no idea what you're talking about" response to the prosecutor's "cherry pie with whip cream on top." All in all I liked this episode, but certainly no match for the best this series offers.

2. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    "That's just something she does". Ha! Up to that very moment I really thought the weirdness of it all was lost on Jimmy. He knows it's odd and does nothing about it. Gross.

So Margaret has the hots for Slater. Ugh. I really hope she doesn't do anything about it. I really want her and Nucky to be end game. She really needs to watch pissing Katie off too. I'm willing to bet Katie is an opportunist and will not hesitate to screw them all over to get what she wants.

YAY! Jimmy and Lucky teaming up. Now bring in Capone and we have ourselves a party.

Van Alden and Lucy I damn near fast forwarded through. I just cannot stand her. At. All. I was really hoping he would cart the baby off to the Mrs and be done with Lucy and we wouldn't have to see her anymore. :thumbsdown:

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I *did* ffwd through all of Skank's scenes until the last one. Like I've said before, they can totally write her and Van Alden out of the show and I would be happy. One thing for sure, they certainly cast the correct actress to play a whiny, stupid, unsympathetic skank.

The Margaret/Slater thing had better get nipped in the bud soon. I do NOT want to see that. Hopefully Slater's not that stupid to start banging his rich and powerful boss's woman.

4. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    FYI because I just learned this myself. I thought his name was Owen Slater and Margaret just pronounced it Sleater with her accent. On the HBO site they actually show it as Sleater. Just thought I'd pass that along. :)

(also I thought it was Katie but it's Katy. bah)

5. Nov 1, 2011 #5 of 21
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Such a nice girl.
    [​IMG]

Paz DeLaHuerta did a great acting job with the delivery. Consider. That WAS acting. Even her nude preggers in the mirror last week was CGI (well, the bump part was CGI.)

I dunno why Lucy couldn't have banged on a neighbor's door for help.

Now we know. The burned up T-Man was the guy on the right.

How about how they set up why Van Alden was at the hospital. Nurse brings by a baby. "You can go in now." That's not why.

I'm digging how Mr. terefa! "Boychick" also played Sammy the Bull Gravano.

That Meyer is Mr. You Can Negotiate Anything.

Attached Files:

6. Nov 1, 2011 #6 of 21
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Actually, "a la mode" means "with ice cream".

7. Nov 1, 2011 #7 of 21
    MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I think the producers need a bigger whiteboard

Last week it was Eli and no Van Alden, even after one of his guys got burned up. This week we have Van Alden but no Eli. I guess the actors have ten show contracts.

FINALLY Uncle Junior's role comes forward - as the rep of the yacht club. Nobody seemed to make note of it, but isn't it a big deal that he knows the condition the Commodore is in? Nobody knew but Jimmy, Mom, and Eli, and now Nucky. That was why Eli flipped out with George.

8. Nov 1, 2011 #8 of 21
    cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't get how Jimmy seemingly has gotten away with scalping the old geezer. Even if he's dead, other people pretty much know who did it. Did the old guy's butler let them into the room?

It's kinda funny how Jimmy's mom now thinks she's a criminal mastermind.

9. Nov 1, 2011 #9 of 21
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    well, Uncle Junior (it took me a long time to finally place him and had to rewind to actually watch the show) did tell him that he pissed off a lot of wealthy people. But I'm with Jimmy on this. Send a message early. They will now fear him and soon will respect him.

Nucky acts cool and thinks of the long term play all the time. But he has a really bad temper and made a lot of enemies for no reason other than the instant gratification of telling someone off. That's not cool and long term planning at all.

10. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    As Uncle Junior was dancing around it, officially, Jimmy didn't do it. "Was it necessary?" "I don't know what you're talking about."

11. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    It reminds me so much of the Furio/Carmella storyline in The Sopranos. If it follows the same path I'll be disappointed.

12. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Maybe she should said that because she had to come up with something for the priest. She knows saying anything about Nucky would be bad for health and saying something about her other family could be as well.

13. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    That's what I came up with. I think she was thinking on her feet and that is what she thought of after their interaction at the house.

14. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I'll buy that. Margaret is a schemer. :)

15. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Jimmy's just a nobody to those guys. The money he owes them is a drop in the bucket to them. The old guy was their business partner. Jimmy would be sleeping with the fishes if this were real life.

16. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I don't agree, and I'll tell you why:

The prohibition created a new breed of organized crime and we're watching how they evolved right now. These old geezers made their money the old fashioned way: bribing, land deals, etc. They don't have muscle or think of violence the way Jimmy, Capone, et al are going to now use it to control things. Even Nucky wasn't really a gangster and he's learning how to be one.

At this point, the only analogy I have is a wall street baron (himself a formidable thief) dealing with a Mexican cartel/drug lord. The baron is in for a very rude awakening when he finds out that the person in charge is the one who is willing to scalp you and your family just to make a point.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And we see the other end of that process is the Sopranos...remember when they tried to muscle Starbucks? :D

18. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    That's what I was thinking too. She knew she couldn't say anything about Nucky, so she came up with the Slater (Sleater?) thing. With that said, from the moment Slater joined the cast, I felt their was going to be something between him and Margaret.

19. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    not at all, but thank God for wiki :)

20. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    I could not agree more with this.