Boardwalk Empire: "Ourselves Alone" (S2-E2).

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by frombhto323, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1 of 16
    frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    This season is moving fast so far. Nucky is sizing up the different sides, the Commodore is establishing fronts at a rapid pace, and Eli has a moment of truth.

2. Oct 3, 2011 #2 of 16
    dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Last nights episode seemed quite slow to me. I almost fell asleep several times.

3. Oct 3, 2011 #3 of 16
    tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Yeah, and Margaret seems to have "gone all in" with Nucky.
    I'm assuming the IRA guy (or more likely his minion) will be an important subplot.
    I suspect that Heroin will be Jimmy's (and by extension all of "Team Commodore") downfall.

As a sidelight, is anyone watching the Ken Burns "Prohibition" Documentary on PBS?

4. Oct 3, 2011 #4 of 16
    frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Well, I thought this was one of the best, if not the best, episode of the series so far. First of all, if Nucky does not make Margaret his #1 at this point then he is a fool. She is the smartest person in his camp, and that includes Jimmy if (I think "when") he comes back to the fold. It seems like every so often she has to remind him why he was so attracted to her in the first place. In one fell swoop she saved his bacon and enhanced her power within the home and within the empire. Master stroke!

I'm torn about whether or not Chalky is completely illiterate. While I do believe an illiterate can run a criminal fiefdom as he does, part of me thinks he had just quickly sized up his adversary as a minor nuisance at the most and decided to let him seal his own fate. Using the book as a prop device when it was intended to be used as an object of ridicule leaves me more conflicted about it. It is also difficult for me to believe his wife would not know. What little I know of the real life Chalky indicates to me that RL Chalky was literate, but I can see why the producers would leave it open to question in BE. Adds a bit more mystery to the character.

Speaking of conflicted, I think Eli is having second thoughts. I think the only reason why Eli did not respond right away to Nucky's ultimatum is because the Commodore was standing right there and he had to find the right words. I think Nucky realizes this as well, as alluded to in Margaret's brilliant scene when she noted that Nucky had not named Eli as a traitor. I never thought Jimmy would fully embrace the Commodore, much less his 'grand scheme,' so I will be surprised if he does not come back to the fold.

5. Oct 4, 2011 #5 of 16
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I was glad to see that happen. I never like the "Sopranos" version where the wife/girlfriend is conflicted and rides the fence. Margaret could be a HUGE ally/partner in his business dealings.

6. Oct 5, 2011 #6 of 16
    jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    At first I had mixed feelings about the scene in the jail with Chalky and the out-of-towner. It seemed to go on for a very long time and wasn't really part of the larger storyline.

But then I realized that they were simply showing (in the violent conclusion) exactly how powerful Chalky really is. In the first season and the first episode of the second season all we've seen for the most part is talk about how Chalky can mobilize the black population. What we got in the jailroom scene was exactly that, but in a small scale version.

Is the the IRA or Sinn Féin that was represented?

I'm really liking the actor that plays Myer Lansky. And now I'm curious how Jimmy's walk in the park after gambling is going to play out vis-a-vis his relationship with Lansky (if it does at all).

"Looks like he fell into some shoe polish" (or something like that) was the best line of the night. :p

7. Oct 5, 2011 #7 of 16
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    The shoe polish line was great.

8. Oct 5, 2011 #8 of 16
    Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I agree and for me that was the best part of the episode.

9. Oct 5, 2011 #9 of 16
    su719

su719 Member

Apr 4, 2004
    I beleive it was Sinn Fein

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The only problem I had with the Meier Lansky actor is his Yiddish accent was horrible. Having grown up around people speaking yiddish and hearing that accent, I'm not quite sure what he was supposed to have sounded like.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I totally expected Chalky's book to have some type of weapon hidden in it. It makes little sense for his son and wife to give him a book knowing he can't read.

I hope Nucky kicks his brother's butt.

I figured that Margaret was going to get his ledger when she showed up in the housekeeper's coat and hat.

12. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I don't recall anything in those scenes that would hint that Chalky did not know how to read.

And that was a great setup to show us Chalky's real power.

Nuckey needed new muscle, and I think he got it with the Irish guy. Of course, he also got someone with an eye towards his girl...should be very interesting...

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    He got the name of the book wrong for starters.

The guy who got the snot beat out of him was such an over the top, ridiculous a-hole that I thought it was some sort of a ruse and that Chalky would recruit him into his fold.

14. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    oh...I didn't notice that...I didn't pay attention to the book...what was it?

15. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    The Book was David Copperfield, IIRC. And when he described the illustration he spoke of it in terms of Tom Sawyer, despite the fact that it had caption

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And he struggled to explain what was happening in the picture (which, of course, did not illustrate anything in Tom Sawyer).