Boardwalk Empire - Gimcrack & Bunkum - OAD 10/23/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bob Coxner, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Wow! Best episode of the series and some of the most violent scenes imaginable. Somehow killing off two of your financial backers when you're deep in debt doesn't seem like a sound business strategy.

At first, I did wonder if Richard Harrow was hunting the Russian in the Pine Barrens. :)

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    One of the things I like about this show is when they have a nude sceane. Back then they didnt have implants and the females in the show are all natural.

3. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Great episode (maybe best of the season so far), but it could my preference for lots of Richard Harrow and lack of Nelson/Skank. Loved the scalping scene and Eli makes a much better enemy of Nucky for future plotlines. This was Jimmy at his best (he would go to war with Richard down to the last bullet). A little graphic in the violence department (most probably like that). Imagine what it will be like when the boyz in New York/Chicago show up during coming weeks.

Edited to add.........
    Jimmy - Think I can't play this game?
    Nucky - You don't even know the rules.

And then Jimmy offs the old man. Have the rules changed or is Nucky right?

4. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Wow. Wow. Wow. I knew it would be a good episode. I even stayed up to watch it and got 5 hours of sleep to do so. So my Monday sucks but was it ever worth it!

That scalping scene was awful and awesome at the same time! I knew he wasn't just going to deal with the old guy whacking him upside the head. Richard is so scary and ruthless at times then at others you want to give him a hug! That scene in the woods was just heartbreaking. And him asking Jimmy "Would you fight for me?" was even more so. How can they make such a cold blooded killer so sympathetic? Bravo to them and to Huston on his amazing acting as Harrow. :up:

Nucky really surprised me with Eli. I really thought he'd give in. I'm really not sure why he didn't. Eli is his brother, the screw up. I'm sure it's been that way always. And him saying screw Jimmy and his mother too with such vehemence was quite shocking for me. I really thought we'd see Jimmy and Nucky come back together but now I'm not so sure.

So the maid is getting it on with Slater. That won't stay secret for long. She'll probably be sent packing. Not really that invested in either of them so I didn't really care about that scene. Curious only if it ties in with the rest of them.

No Lucy, YAY!
    No Luciano, BOOO!

5. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    awesome episode!

6. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    They try to get the details right for this show but I did see what I think was a mistake while panning the beach. The margate elephant was facing the ocean. Today it faces away from the ocean. I dont know if it was moved and turned around since originally being built.

7. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Note to all crotchety old men. Do NOT pop a young gangsta upside the head with your cane. Old dude's going to be wearing a chapeau 24/7 now. (Or did they kill him, too?)

8. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    :D:D:D So when they filmed they used actual 1920s pin-up girls? Gawd, I hope not.

For an anachronism: I noticed that Eli's phone (in the replay) had a blue Post-It note stuck to the bottom. I couldn't see any writing on on it. The real ones have only red felt bottoms. (I had one.)

I was thinking that Richard would recruit the mountain men to the team... and adopt the dog.

9. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm thinking being scalped tends to snuff you due to blood loss if nothing else, although there was a western I saw sometime where a survivor was walking around.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think Nucky just can't take betrayal from his family. Jimmy and Eli turned on him, and even if he wanted to (and I think he does kind of want to), he couldn't forgive them.

Looks like Nucky won't even have to deal with the conspirators, at the rate they're dropping each other and having strokes. :D

11. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I've been waiting for Uncle Junior to have a more prominent role than standing there with long white sideburns. I guess it ain't in the cards.

I'm thinking that mayor may be missed, and him getting whacked by the Sheriff is no minor deal. The deputy knows. He'll figure out whose body it was very shortly.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It would be an amusing joke if nobody noticed he was gone... :D

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't think being scalped is a death sentence but the guy is ancient. A swift kick in the butt could have killed him.

14. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    I wonder which of the agents (if it was one of them) wrote in the bathroom? Do they have names? I'm thinking the one that sits on the right.

And by the way... which one was it that got burned up?

Doyle is such an idiot... it's a wonder anyone does business with him. Jimmy tells him to move the goods, he doesn't, and now Jimmy is in a really bad spot because of it. I wonder if there'll be repercussions?

15. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah! We never saw any followup whatsoever as how they got injured - from following the boss's trail.

The one with the more normal, less Dick Tracy character face got burned up.

16. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Still confused :confused:

Is that the guy with the desk on the right or left?

17. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    One guy has a mustache? He's the wierd looking one that carried his badly burnt buddy out to the car.

"You know. Funny lookin'."

18. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Ah... the one on the right got burned and the one on the left carried him out.

19. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I was surprised he could not forgive Eli. Now I'm not sure if he can forgive Jimmy.

I don't think it's bad business to start killing your financial backers. Especially after you got their money ;). We're not talking about building a condo, this is bootlegging. The one that wins is the most ruthless one. The remaining guys will start taking orders from Jimmy very soon.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That, or they'll start killing him very soon.

Which, in their position, would be my strategy!