Boardwalk Empire - "Battle of the Century" - OAD 11/20/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Nov 21, 2011.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Well that was interesting.

First, I don't get the conversation with Jimmy and Richard. What did Richard think Jimmy was making fun of him about? Did I miss something?

Second, Manny is a tough SOB. He is so coming after Jimmy now. Why didn't they just listen to Lansky and pay him back?? I do not understand that at all. He's right to be pissed at this point.

I busted out laughing during the Remus scenes. Jimmy's confused look when Remus talked about himself in third party. Then the look that past between Jimmy and Al. Then Jimmy referring to himself in third party after Remus left. Awesomeness.

So it was obvious that Emily had Polio but now where are they going with this storyline? I sure hope she doesn't die. I think that would set Margaret over the edge. Her whispering to her about forgiving her for what she's brought upon her was so very sad. No more side sex for Owen for sure! And if it's so contagious why wouldn't they all have it by now?

Yay for still no Lucy. Boo for too little Luciano as usual.

2. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I don't know what to think about this episode. Too short for sure. I need more than 42 minutes of Boardwalk Empire to get me through the week.

Jimmy would have been smart to have taken Uncle Junior's advice a few episodes back. Even his own words rang true after the shootout with Lucky & Lansky, "you can't kill everyone." Jimmy is an inconsistent emotional leader. He'd make a great #2 if his ego and temper would allow it. Somehow Nucky & Jimmy have to team back up. Perhaps Nuk gets Jimmy out of this mess. How they handle the attempted murder is a question though Nucky is forever the businessman so if Jimmy has something he needs..............

Speaking of forgiving Mickey seemed to be OK with Jimmy. Too funny. The polio storyline was dull, but effective. If it didn't take up half of an already short episode I would have liked it better.

The female prosecutor is running neck and neck with Jimmy's mom for hotness. The two are similar in many ways.

Only 3 left. :)

3. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Oh yes, Mickey! I was a bit surprised he seemed like his old joking, annoying self... neck brace, bruises and all. LOL He's such a lemming.

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This show has become much better. I considered dropping it after the first season--it just didn't move me. And the first eps or two this year the same.

But it has become a much better show. Story lines moving in interesting ways, characters more fun to watch. I could do without some of the Lucy scenes too (nod to psg). But all in all, much more entertaining show to watch. And this week's episode was excellent.

I don't get that either. Doesn't he owe him about 5K? If the group is gonna put 300K into the Remus deal, 5K seems like chump change. Why burn a bridge?

I have no idea how polio spreads, or how easily. But I was wondering the same thing. Maybe adults are less affected than kids? Otherwise, wouldn't all doctors get it?

I remember watching a documentary on polio a year or two ago. Fascinating. I can also remember getting a polio vaccine in grade school; I still have the weird pockmark (or is that smallpox?).

5. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    That butcher is badass!!! Should have just paid him his $5k and moved on with life.

I was NOT expecting that tall Irish guy to get clipped.

Great episode.

6. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Most common vector is fecal-oral. Second most common is oral-oral (Margaret should NOT have kissed her face).

However, about 95% of people with polio do not show any symptoms. Only about 1% of those with polio have permanent paralysis.

7. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2002
    San Diego
    Some other facts about polio from Wikipedia:

It doesn't usually kill, though it can. (2-5% of children with paralytic polio die, according to Wikipedia.)

Paralysis is only temporary in "many" cases.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't know about you guys but if somebody throws me off a balcony, I'm not hanging around with him later.

Jimmy's too dumb to be a good leader. In real life, Manny would probably make sausage of him but since Jimmy's such a main character, it's Manny who'll most probably get whacked.

I expected the Irish guys to do a back room deal with Nucky to get the guns, not kill their leader. They could have said "Yo, Stretch, we want the guns. Make the deal or we'll shoot you" before shooting him. I'm assuming they didn't.

Maybe I should have lived in the 20s. Seems like hot women slept around a lot more than I expected back then.

No Van Alden. Yay!

George Remus was a real person. I remember him from Ken Burns' Prohibition series. Burns didn't mention if he spoke in the third person though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Remus

9. Hansky

Hansky Active Member

Nov 17, 2005
    I recall that it was mentioned.

10. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Poor Richard. He thought when Jimmy told him he would find a woman and settle down that Jimmy was being sarcastic or mean spirited. He finds it unfathomable and unobtainable therefore Jimmy must have meant to make fun of him. I smiled when the woman at the fight broadcast kissed him. Were they prostitutes? Or just interested in the new king?

11. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Oh. It hadn't even occurred to me that Richard would have thought Jimmy didn't mean what he said. Of course he did! Poor Richard indeed.

And I think they were just interested in the new king.

12. tgrim1

tgrim1 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Iowa
    I think my dad had a touch of polio when he was a kid and because of it one of his legs is 2 inches shorter than the other.

13. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I took it as Margaret thinking she brought back the polio from the Brooklyn ghetto. I didn't even think of Owen.

14. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Shouldn't that be "Hanksy recalls that it was mentioned"?

15. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Weren't you looking for the women to be hitters? Jimmy was even covering his gun with them.

Richard getting a girl could completely change him. Jimmy might lose his muscle.

Why did Manny the butcher have the meat cleaver out near the customers? It's not like they have do-it-yourself meat hacking.

Didn't the orthodox beard at the butcher look like Meyer Lansky? Oy vey! Running, he needs to be doing!

16. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I think I remember him cutting up meat right in the front of the store the first time Jimmy came to meet him. I think meat butchering didn't just happen "in back" but in full view of customers. Which I find totally gross! But then, I don't eat meat.

17. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I did think at first they were hitters!
    And I hadn't thought about the Manny thing until you said it. I'll have to rewatch that scene to comment.

18. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Also in the '20's the transmission vector wasn't as well known, hence the burning of everything that the kids had touched. My wife (who is a polio survivor) says they got the polio parts right.

19. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    Wow... I really liked this episode. It had everything in it... drama, pathos, violence, sex, comedy and it moved the plot along too.

Jimmy can't stop making bad decisions and digging himself into worse trouble. He's underestimated both Nucky and Manny the Butcher.

Poor Nucky... he's going to feel so guilty about not being there for Margaret and the little girl. He's already got issues because of the loss of his child from his first wife.

I just LOVED the scene with the dumb cop being interviewed by the two Feds.

"A woman laywer. What'll they think of next"
    "Maybe a horseless carraige?"
    "I think they got that one already" ;)

Unfortunately I can't stop thinking about George Constanza whenever I hear Remus speaking in the third-person. :p

The spinal tap scene nearly made me cry. I felt so bad for that poor little girl. :(

When did that guy from Philly start working for Chaulky White? :confused:

Was I the only one that thought "Titanic" for a minute at the end there? I know... the timeline isn't right but still...

20. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I was in the hospital when I was a kid and they did a spinal tap on my adult roommate. I still remember and he didn't scream.

I guess the idea is that Mr. Toucvh Guy got a good lesson in the Chalky White power structure and figured out where to fit in.

Remember that Nucky gave Chalky the OK to organize a strike. That's gonna give Jimmy a REAL challenge. Chalky is not Jimmy's and Doyle's friend.

Where is Nucky gonna sell the Irish Whiskey anyway? I guess he'll keep his speakeasy customers?

Speaking of which, guess which family head in Boston makes his fortune importing hs Fitzgerald family whiskey?

BTW, why did they have to off the old man leading the IRA? I guess they figured he wouldn't take quietly to being told he retired.

Being that we have Al Capone, Murder, Inc, et. al., and such tidbits as Ponzi and Fitzgerald you should expect more historical tidbits. Nucky is like the Zelig of the underworld. I wonder how much is in the book and based on the real Nucky's life.