Boardwalk Empire - "A Dangerous Maid" - OAD 10/9/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Oct 10, 2011.

1. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Loved this episode. Was liking the new Irish guy until his showdown with Richard Harrow. Now that they are supposed to be the same type of guy, working on opposites sides of this battle, I'm concerned. I really hope either they both stay alive or the new guy bites it. Harrow is just too awesome to kill off. I can't get enough of him on my screen. More please!

I knew the moment they said the lobster was gone that the camera was going to pan over to the other table and Nucky was going to lose his cool. Loved Jimmy and Nucky facing off in the restaurant. Loved even more Nucky commenting in his ear that the Commodore didn't even know his mom's name. I just can't see Jimmy staying on this side for the long haul. Nucky was more of a father to him than the twisted child molester, Commodore. Gross.

Pregnant skank took WAY too much time out of this episode for my liking. Ugh. I can't even stomach looking at her and her nasty crotch just knowing what the actress is like in real life. I feel like I need a steel wool shower every time she's on screen.

I did really feel for Nucky when he was on the phone with Eli.

Also on the shallow note, always happy to see Lucky Luciano on my screen for any reason!

2. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Great episode.

3. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I was confused by the Maid part. Why did Margaret turn cold to her at the end?

4. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    To the contrary I think the two will be good friends by season end. In fact it appears Richard's influence might be what finally moves Jimmy to Nucky's camp. Notice Harrow's reaction to Al's suggestion of putting a bullet in Nuck's head.

I love this show. Agree too much brainless tramp this week, but as long as they have a scene with Jimmy and Mom together... I'm satisfied.

5. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I took it as her internal struggle to remain "working class" versus "rich". Once everything seemed to be fine she changed back to rich.

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Both pregnant skank and Van Alden can take a flying leap off my tv screen. I'm all for female nudity but Spaz de la Huerta seems like she's mentally damaged.

Looks like new Irish guy is going to be the new Jimmy, at least for a while. It'll be cool if and when he, Jimmy and Richard all team up on Team Nucky and kick the Commodore's ass.

7. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Haha!!

Wasn’t she about to take a flying leap off the stairs to get rid of her baby? Luckily, Van Alden buying the victrola for her saved the day. What a nice man!!

Anyway, this was a much more intense and exciting episode. The quarrel between Nucky, Jimmy, and the Commodore, at dinner was great!!

8. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    Van Alden seems to be changing over time. He asked if Nucky was considered fun and sent the victrola which is out of character. Hopefully they made him so ridiculous in order to have him develop over time into something else. I could see him swinging all the way to ridiculously corrupt.

I am uncomfortable any time the skank is on the screen. She is creepy to no end.

9. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Because the maid now knows her secret. I'm just guessing here but I suspect "Peggy Rohan" never got divorced from Mr Rohan (not that she was able) before marrying Mr Schroder. Alternatively since Mr Schroder wasn't Catholic (right? Weren't most German immigrants were some form of Protestant?), she is "dead to them".

One has to admire the prosthetic work they did on Paz de la Huerta.

10. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I tried to search around to at least find some image of her that makes her look attractive. Zilch. She really is a creepy crack looking actress.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    One of the things that bugs me about this show is that they cast a wuvvable, widdle teddy bear to play Al Capone. It's a minor complaint since the actor does a good job but Capone was a good bit bigger.

12. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    I agree and think that is really good that it works for her. She is doing a good job of making me really uncomfortable with this character.

13. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Huh? I thought Rohan was Margaret's birth family name?

14. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I think you are right that Rohan is Margaret's birth name...but I'm still not sure if Margaret=Peggy or if Peggy was maybe a sister or something.

Margaret was already being cold to the help even before she asked if she was Peggy.

15. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Well Peggy is a common nickname for Margaret!

16. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    My wife explained that to me last night. I had no idea.

17. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I had no idea!

18. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    The thing that made it noteworthy at the end is that she had been chummy with them just the day before and had seemingly warmed up to Katie in particular. Her Ice Queen response to Katie at the end was a bit jarring in that context.

19. zalusky

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    The interesting question was her reaction when the made called and they said Peggy had died. To me this means a couple of things:
    1) She ran away and left her kids (They showed pictures) and the family basically tells everyone she is dead (to them).
    2) She faked her death to get away from another abusive husband.
    3) They kicked her out of the house and tell everybody she is dead.

20. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I thought they were her siblings or possibly nephews and nieces. Was there an indication that they were Margaret's children?