Boardwalk Empire 12/04/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Family, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1 of 35
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Ewe......................

In 65 minutes they destroyed the show. Commodore/Angie gone (why did they even need Dabney Coleman's character for two seasons?) Margaret's storyline has been degrading all year. Nucky/Margaret are Tony/Carmella. She's gone from likeable strong #2 to wimpy obnoxious victim. Al/Lucky/Lansky have been relegated to backup characters with no plot surrounding them. And now they've taken Mommy Ewey and transformed her from interesting nutjob to someone I can't watch any longer. In the process Jimmy is ruined as I can no longer accept that he was not bothered by her ongoing inappropiate actions. Cold blooded killer Jimmy I can like... this... yuck.

It was a Jump the Shark moment.

I've loved Boarwalk, but HBO has a habit of tearing apart shows after a few seasons. Last season they went a bit off the deep end with Nelson (yeah what's he going on the lamb forever?). This was ridiculous. Except for Nucky/Richard there's nobody really left I like. It was like a bomb went off on the Boardwalk.

What do others think?

2. Dec 5, 2011 #2 of 35
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I read spoilers so knew this was all coming. I just hoped they were wrong about Jimmy and Gillian getting it on in a flashback. SO HOPED they were wrong. I guess now I don't care much about the spoilers I read for the finale. Apparently they are all going to come true. Booo.

I agree about Margaret. They need to get her back on track. I guess they need Nucky to marry her so she can't testify against him. I get that she's distraught over her daughter and all but get a grip, woman! And her almost confession of cheating was not lost on Nucky. I don't think he fully bought she meant her dead husband because she wasn't cheating if he's dead.

I did like it when Jimmy had mommy in the choke hold and was hoping he finished her off. What a cold ***** she is. Commodore is trying to save her yet she ends up telling Jimmy to finish the job offing him. Nice thank you!

Agree also that some of the better character are after thoughts. I so love Rothstein and Lucky yet they get next to nothing to do when they are even in the episodes.

I don't see Eli ratting out Nucky. I think even though they have both tried to kill each other, it's them against the feds.

Poor Richard was so broken over Angela. :(

3. Dec 5, 2011 #3 of 35
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Yes and I like how Jimmy's wife and father are killed within a matter of days while he is injured. Oh and his wife was with her lover and Jimmy went missing. You think someone will be suspicious?

4. Dec 5, 2011 #4 of 35
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I would be surprised if they didn't!

5. Dec 5, 2011 #5 of 35
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    No one has missed the mayor. Why would these be any different?

I guess the Commodore fell on a knife. Twice.

Maybe Jimmy can get a discount on the three body funeral.

Gillian was just plain creepy and then they add in her saying the same words about her grandson. Remember how we just saw Gillian reveling with Jimmy about how everybody thinks she's his sister. Being that was after the "it's OK" incident it is really, really creepy.

In the afterwords the writer says the flashbacks are supposed to be what Jimmy remembers in his drug-induced haze.

What I'm fascinated by is how they give the audience the clues that it is a flashback. I guess they set the scene with props to show where and when it is.

6. Dec 5, 2011 #6 of 35
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Don't think they destroyed the show at all. I like the fact they shake things up. Agree the Jimmie/momma scene was cringe-inducing, but aren't all incest scenes cringe-inducing (or worse)? And it explains the weird relationship we've seen between the two.

While it drives me nuts when Margaret goes all Catholic guilt on us, it does make sense given her nature (upbringing, culture, etc). And it adds one more twist to Nucky's survival.

Personal request: Please stop saying jump the shark every time a show has an episode you don't like. :D

I'm guessing we've seen the last of Agent Van Alden. Not sure how a G-man on the lam fits in anymore.

Small legal nit: If they are married, she can't be forced to testify against him*, but she can voluntarily testify, so marriage would do nothing for him as it stands (since she wants to testify, to assuage her guilt).

*and even this has several exceptions.

7. Dec 5, 2011 #7 of 35
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Sorry but I have NEVER posted before that a show had a Jump the Shark moment. Is it better if I used the more cliche "Season Pass Deleted". For me the show will never be the same (in a bad way) so what words make you happiest?

8. Dec 5, 2011 #8 of 35
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Memaw be crazy. At least we now know why Jimmy is so messed up. Kind of hard to be normal with a mom like that and a dad like the Commodore.

What was Mickey Doyle trying to get Van Alden to do, bust up the alcohol ring and steal the cash to get revenge on Al/Lucky/Lansky?

There was a good bit of eww-ness but I don't think the show has gone downhill. It was mostly slow and kinda icky but a lot of background information was learned.

9. Dec 5, 2011 #9 of 35
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    It probably wont be. The show is about Nucky and all the rest of the people just come and go.

10. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah. He was going to tip Van Alden to raid the stash that now is mostly the other guys.

I'd look for Doyle to try to blow the partnership open, if he doesn't get one in da head at the end. Jimmy might hear that he put Manny on his house, and I still think we'll have Richard turn Manny into Gefilte.

Let me remind that the agent that Van Alden drowned was a dirty witness killer working for Nucky, not that Van Alden will get out of it. We have to ask how he thought he'd get away with it in the first place. I guess he figured that the coloreds who saw him were non-people.

11. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Except that Jimmy was mostly raised by Nucky. That has been alluded to several times. Not that Nucky is a great father, but of all the men on the show, if I had to choose a father, Nucky would be the one.

Jimmy did not have an easy childhood, but I don't think you can blame it all on mommy and daddy.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It wasn't directed at you in the sense of "you specifically do this all the time please stop". It was directed at the great masses who use the phrase when they mean SP Deleted.

SP Deleted would make me happier. Thanks for asking.:D

13. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Haha! Your posts often make me laugh out loud even if I don't always say it.

That being said, I also notice (on various sources) that people love the phrase "jumped the shark" the second a show goes somewhere they don't like. I almost don't even notice it now and my eyes just skim right past the words.

14. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    The Commodore raped Gillian when she was 13, Gillian molested her own son, and the last scene of her with her grandson suggested the cycle will continue.

This was the second time Jimmy turned to narcotics after a woman he loved died. I wonder how far he will go with his heroin use.

15. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Nucky had the same reaction to the heaven/hell story that I did. Why didn't they hold the spoons higher up on the handle?

16. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Not the same reaction as me. I wondered why they didn't use their fingers or stick their face in the bowl.

17. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Here's how Alan Sepinwall summarized the the climatic scenes:

'When you give the audience incest (accompanied by a roaring train for added symbolic/melodramatic value) followed by attempted matricide, followed by a stroke patient stabbing our man with a spear, followed by patricide, followed by Gillian making like John Huston (grandfather of Jack Huston) at the end of "Chinatown," you've got something no viewer of the show is likely to forget for a long, long time, and yet something that doesn't feel like it came out of nowhere.'

See here for the full review.

18. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    For my money that was nowhere near a "jump the shark" or "SP Canceled" episode. I was full of discomfort... and frustration... and then more frustration... but I never thought the episode was playing out uncharacteristically.

I don't like flashback scenes (or drug-induced remembrances). But I see where it was necessary for the story and to set up the final scene with grandma and baby boy on the stairs. I don't think Jimmy's going to let that progress (if he lives long enough to do anything about it).

19. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I thought it was a nice change of pace episode and it not only explained a lot but also tied up a couple of loose ends in the present. I wouldn't want the entire series to be paced as this episode was, but I'm sure that won't be the case - certainly considering how very graphic this season has been.

20. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I liked it. At the time I was thinking I could do with less Jimmy flashback, but it tied together perfectly at the end.