Bluetooth Keyboards on TiVo HD? keyboard usb

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Grimm1, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA

Advertisements

I've searched and searched and really couldn't find a definitive answer to this.

I see that "usb keyboards" should just work. But it's not clear if that includes USB with a Bluetooth dongle or not.

I see that the TiVo Slide is Bluetooth and should work with the TiVo HD. But that doesn't necessarily mean all Bluetooth qwerty devices will work.

Most of the discussion on this topic is in the Premiere sub-board so I can't assume what is said there would apply to my TiVo HD.

I'm looking to purchase a wireless mini-keyboard and most of the ones I'm seeing that are $20 or less seem to be Bluetooth.

2. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
  3. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA
    That keyboard is $50. I don't want to spend that kind of money if I don't have to. That's why I'm asking about the bluetooth keyboards since I'm seeing some of those going for less than $20.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm pretty sure you can.

Anything that conforms to the USB Human Interface Device standard should work. And that's nearly everything.

5. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA

Advertisements

Hmmm...ok...the only reason I'm being cautious is I haven't found any mention of anyone using a bluetooth keyboard specifically with their TiVo HD.

I guess if no one is saying "it doesn't work" is almost as good as someone saying "it does work".

If I pull the trigger I'll be sure to report back her with how it worked.

6. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I use a blue tooth keyboard with my TiVo which was targeted at a PS3. It is promiscuous and does not pair, so it can get confusing when using them with more than one TiVo in a room.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Well, whether you found a reference or not, there are several threads around.

So long as the keyboard is "standard", any device won't care if it is wired or bluetooth, it just sees a keypress input.

Search ebay- I got one for around $10 bucks that does the job just fine for searches. I think it was a cheap unit for a ps3.

8. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA
    Thanks for the response...and believe me I searched around. Almost all threads about keyboards are found in the Premiere sub-board and like I said I couldn't really find anything that said "same applies to HD/S3" so that's why I was just trying to get a little confirmation before making a purchase.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The Premiere had keyboard support before the S3/HD (it came with it out of the box), but the S3/HD were updated a few versions back, and AFAICT it works the same now on both Series 3 and 4. (The only difference I've seen is that the KEYBOARD command of the network remote interface is not (yet?) supported on Series 3, but that's not really germane to actual keyboards.)

10. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA
    I've never used a "bluetooth keyboard" before. My only experience with bluetooth is connecting my cell phone to a bluetooth adapter pluged into my PC and that's not what I would call a "plug and play" experience. There is configuring required on the on both ends to get it working. I'm hoping the same is not true for a bluetooth keyboard and that it is more of a plug and play type deal like with a reguler USB keyboard.

11. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I just noticed that OUCH!!-- I bought 2 of them (one for me, one for my step-father, I have an HD he has an "original" S3) for $20 each last Xmas. But as others have said, pretty much any USB keyboard will work.

12. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA
    Yeah...I saw a bunch of posts mentioning the $20 wii keyboards but I couldn't find them anywhere....guess they discontinued them or something.

I'm starting to wonder if a bluetooth keyboard really counts as a USB keyboard. I was thinking they used a paired usb dongle...but now I'm thinking that they just use a usb bluetooth adapter that you would have to configure to work just like any other bluetooth device.

13. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010

I found this Logitech one this afternoon at Office Depot. http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/850077/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-K320-Black/

I didn't buy one since they were out of stock. But, you might be able to find one....

14. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA
    Thanks for the link, but I guess I hadn't mentioned that since this is for my Tivo only I'm looking for a mini keyboard and not a full size one. I'm guessing the reason most of the smaller keyboards seem to be bluetooth is for people who want to use them with there iPads or iPhones etc... that have built in bluetooth.

15. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    That is the "$20 Wii keyboard", I posted the link from my Amazon "orders" page, which is why I didn't notice that the price is now $50.
    This http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Wii-Portable-Keyboard-Nintendo/dp/B002PAW34E is probably the cheapest USB option now $20 at Amazon.

16. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA
    Nice find...not sure how I missed that one. I just ordered one instead of taking my chances with a bluetooth one. Thanks!