Blue Bloods Season 1 thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hummingbird_206, Sep 25, 2010.

1. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...

Advertisements

Not sure how much interest there is going to be, especially with a "not for me" thead:D so thought I'd start a season thread.

I like the cast and thought the Pilot was interesting, so I plan to keep the SP. Thought it did a good job introducing the family relationships and set up a good story.

2. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I mostly just tuned in to check in on Tom Selleck's mustache, but the 'twist' in the latter half will have me coming back for a couple of episodes. They obviously kept references to the Blue Templars to a minimum, to avoid revealing whether Tom's character is a bad guy or not.

3. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Tom was the original draw for me, too, though not exactly for the same thing. I was surprised how many others in the cast I recognized.

I hope Tom's character isn't part of the secret squirrel society since they killed his son. But I think they can make it interesting for us trying to figure it out.

4. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I think there's a lot they can do with the Blue Templars and the writers didn't want to blow their wad in the first episode. Maybe they didn't turn out to be bad guys in their later years after all? Maybe there's another organization within the police that has it in their interests to pin stolen evidence and murders on them? Or maybe there was a schism and their direction did change, with Tom's character being on the side of the milder faction? Maybe he wanted to expose them himself but that either turned out to be impossible, or required some kind of long term, unsanctioned sleeper operation of his own?

Of course, if I were the rookie, I would have just blurted out 'So Dad, the Blue Templars... do you guys get full medical with dental?' while they were fishing.

5. phil75070

phil75070 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    McKinney, Texas

Advertisements

I am not a big Selleck fan and doubted that I would keep it as a SP, but this first episode was much better than I expected and I will continue to watch it for the time being.

6. 4inziksych

4inziksych New Member

Feb 28, 2003
    They were filming this outside my apartment a few days ago. The policemen looked like tv cops. I hadn't really realized there was a difference until I saw them out there.

7. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Interesting. Selleck was the draw for me, but . . . glad there were many who DID like this show.

8. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    Strong cast. The kidnapping story was weak and I thought the show was going to be a disappointment after the first 30 minutes, but the inter-familial tension and Blue Templars storyline in the second half was plenty to keep the SP.

9. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I started to rewatch the ep and noticed that when the Donnie Wahlberg character opened his safe at the beginning of the ep that there was a short close up on a pin in the safe. Maybe a horse head with a couple of crossed swords on it? Wonder if Danny is a Blue Templar?

10. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I liked it. I hope the Blue Templar subplot doesn't dominate the show. There's enough other stuff to keep it interesting.

11. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    Not Donnie Walberg was the draw for me. Have never cared for Selleck, but Walberg always does "angry white man" well, so I decided to check it out because of him.

Just don't like that CBS is drawing from several theatrical movies. Can't think of the name of the one with the brothers that was out a couple years ago - one was a cop and one was a criminal. Also, the FBI asking the youngest brother to go underdover immediately seems to be a copy of that copy movie with Leonardo Decaprio from a couple years ago as well.

Lastly, think youngest brother seems WAY too young to have gone to law school AND been a lawyer before giving it up to become a cop. They really needed some older for this part.

So far, I'm keeping the SP though since there were some interesting relatiionshps here and at least it's not another CSI. ;)

Cheryl

12. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Good to see JJ from American Dreams getting another show...

I started it and didn't have high expectations, but it really impressed me. I will definitely keep watching it. Good family dynamics.

13. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    My wife enjoyed the show very much. I'm OK with it. Finally glad to have a show we both can watch, like American Dreams. A very likeable cast. Interesting family dynamics with the crusty old great-grandad. I also hope the Blue Templar subtext doesn't dominate the show.

14. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I loved this show. Then again, anything that has Tom Selleck in it will have my vote. I hope it sticks around for a very long time. I will love even just looking at him week after week!!!

A funny thing to me was the fact that they went to "Inwood". I grew up in the Five Towns on Long Island (Inwood is one of the Five Towns). Where they went wasn't Inwood, which is much more suburban than that. They were probably somewhere in Brooklyn.

15. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I didn't think I would like this show and almost deleted it before watching. Glad I didn't. I was really impressed and plan on keeping it around.

16. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Wait, that was Danny? I had remembered Frank (Selleck's character) as having the pin in his safe.

17. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I don't remember seeing Frank in a safe or with a pin, but Danny definitely had the pin in his safe. At the beginning of the show Danny got his gun out of the safe and they showed a closeup of the pin when he closed the safe.

18. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Oh, I believe you. There was probably a montage of people getting ready for the graduation ceremony at the beginning, and I wasn't paying enough attention to notice who had the safe. Paints a different picture than I thought, now that Frank isn't the possibly corrupt/vigilante cop.

19. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Blue Templars? I haven't watched this yet (I've got it recorded), but this phrase alone makes me think I should delete it. I don't have a problem with scifi/conspiracy theory stuff on scifi shows (I love it), but on a series I thought was supposed to be somewhat realistic? Really? Somebody, please tell me I am wrong, and I'll watch. But if this has any resemblance to the atrocities called National Treasure, let me know so I can run.

As for Tom Selleck, ugh. My dad looked like him. Seriously. I HATED the mustache.

20. jschuur

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    It's realistic. The Blue Templars are explained by Internal Affairs as a clandestine group of renegade cops who at first started out with good intentions, but supposedly began to abuse their power and became corrupt. I'm not too sure the final word is out on that last part though.