Blu-ray to TiVo HD Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by DigitalAnarchist, Dec 31, 2011.

1. DigitalAnarchist

DigitalAnarchist New Member

Jan 21, 2004

Advertisements

I'm trying to transfer a Blu-ray movie I own from the PC to my Now Playing list and have done a ton of searches (Doom9, Handbrake, SlySoft, TiVoCommunity, etc.) but I can't get it to work.

I have a TiVo HD w/software version 11.0k, TiVo Desktop 2.8.2 running on Windows 7 x64.

Extracted the Blu-ray on the PC to the hard drive w/AnyDVD HD and have tried multiple transcodes w/Handbrake but I can't seem to get the formula right for playing it on the TiVo.

I can see the movie from the "Now Playing List" from the TiVo but it appears with a red circle with a line through it and says the format is incompatible and can't be played by TiVo. I've tried the following but none will work for the main movie (anything seems to work for the trailers, etc.):

1) M4V w/video encoded as H264 @ 24 fps
    2) M4V w/video encoded as H264 @ 30 fps
    3) Strict and Loose aspect ratios
    4) Multiple quality levels (CF 21 to 0)

I know in the older versions of TiVo desktop it could recognize MKS containers - any ideas on whether it is still possible to play H264 video M4V on a TiVo HD and if so, what is the magic settings needed in Handbrake?

Still a little baffled by why Handbrake H264 settings that work for the trailers don't work for the main title...

I'm assuming user error/incompetence on my part - any gurus here that can set me straight?

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It may be as simple as dumping TDT and running pyTivo instead. See if a push works. That said, you probably want to avoid recoding on the fly - it will take quite a while. If you want native pulls, encode as 1080i MPEG II. Native pushes can be 1080i h.264 in a .mp4 container with AC3 or AAC audio.

3. DigitalAnarchist

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks - makes sense. Sorry for the rookie question, but here goes: how do I do a "push" to the TiVo? Can that be done w/TD+ (which I have) or only w/pyTivo?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    IMO, TiVo Desktop is quite limited. PyTivo does a whole lot more.

I have transferred .mkv files I downloaded, which is what most blu ray is in.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...

Advertisements

AFAIK, TDT does not support pushing. PyTivo and streambaby do. One pushes to the TiVo by telling the application to send the video to the TiVo, as opposed to pulling, which involves telling the TiVo to request the recording. The push interface is used by the NetFlix app, Amazon VOD, etc. Ordinarily, depending on the application, pushing is accomplished via interacting directly with the app. There are exceptions, however, such as vidmgr.

6. DigitalAnarchist

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, pyTiVo it is. After some trial & error I'm up and running. pyTiVo is pretty powerful - but need to pay attention to detail when setting it up (right version of ffmpeg, python, etc., file paths). Success in transferring an M4V version and directly from the Blu-ray M2TS at max quality (25mbps). Thanks for the suggestion Irhorer!

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Don't forget the lil guy here. ;)

8. Jan 1, 2012 #8 of 11
    DigitalAnarchist

Jan 21, 2004
    Props to ThAbtO too!

BTW, seems odd that once I push the movie to the TiVo it becomes copy protected in the "Now Playing" list. Not a big deal, just seems strange that the TiVo would list a movie that got copied to it as copy protected, but maybe that makes sense from the standpoint that it didn't originate the content.

Thanks again.

9. Jan 2, 2012 #9 of 11
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    What's closer to the truth is the TiVo assumes anything transferred via the control of the mind server is streaming content, and likely has copyright restrictions.

10. nick081472

nick081472 TiVo Lifer

Feb 25, 2004
    Surprise,...
    Is there a file size limit that the TiVo will see? Meaning, I ripped a blu-ray but when I try to transfer it to the tivo using tivo desktop on my pc it doesn't see the file.

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What file are you trying to transfer? I think Desktop will transfer files .mpg, .mp4, .tivo.
    Tivo Desktop Plus just adds a few more, .avi, etc. So, why pay $25 for that when you can do alot more with PyTivo and its free.