Bloop, Bloop Bug -- NOT Dolby Digital Related--

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hastypete, Oct 26, 2007.

1. hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007

Advertisements

I don't know if this is a "new" bug or a holdover from a previous version as I've only had Tivo for a month.

Twice this week I've had my "bleep" "bloop" sounds stop functioning properly.
    Everything else works fine, but the sounds only happen every several keypresses. It is very disconcerting when you are expecting the sounds.

Everything is fine with a reboot.

I'm not sure what causes it, but will try to make it happen when I have the chance (yeah, when I'm not actually watching TV). I think it has something to do with sending too many keypresses too fast. Both times it happened I was moving around really fast.

anyone else see this behavior?

2. demon

demon BURNINATOR

Nov 15, 2006
    Western SD
    I assume you were watching ATSC (over-the-air HD) or digital cable programming at the time? If so, this is not a bug, but a feature (it's in the manual - no really). The TiVo can't mix the TiVo sound effects into the Dolby Digital audio stream, so you don't get the effects when watching such programs.

3. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    There have always been issues with the BLOOP BLOOP sound when playing back Video that has 5.1 surround sound.

Sometimes it will work & other times it won't

Tivo is working on the issue

TGC

4. hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Not the problem. The sounds are gone (mostly) in EVERY mode... menus, every show recorded... everything. Until I reboot.

Also, I turned DD off, since it was causing strange noises and no audio with my TV from the very first turn-on with my brand new Tivo. (maybe that's a bug too, but that's a different story)

5. hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007

Advertisements

But does it make the bloops go wrong for everything until a reboot?
    even if playing a standard program without 5.1?
    I'm afraid this is something else, but maybe it is connected.

anyone else see this same problem as I described.

It happened both times when moving from the "now playing" list to the show description screen, NOT when playing video.

6. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    I see this bug intermittently. It's an annoyance, not worth rebooting to fix.

Switching to the other tuner often fixes it. E.g. press "Live TV" several times.

BTW I know for sure I had this bug in 9.1, but I'm on 9.2J now. I haven't seen it in a few days. Maybe the new software fixes it?

7. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Nope it shouldn't. It works fine on mine. Althought for the next few days I will make a point to pay attention to when I do or don't get bloops..

TGC

8. ktm

ktm New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    I too have noticed this bug. I think I have isolated the causative event: Sounds disappear after using podcaster or similar features and fail to return until reboot. They don't actually go away completely: they are there at an extremely low level. For the record, I'm on 9.2.

9. Balzer

Balzer Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yep, I've had this happen a few times too.. after listening to a Podcast or last time after using Rhapsody. The sounds are there mostly, but it's like it play just part of the sound or nothing at all. Hard to describe. It only happened a few times, and I just rebooted.

10. hastypete

hastypete Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Ahh, I think I too had used podcast both times.

But since you can't do trick play features on podcast (not even pausing) I probably won't be using that feature again.

thanks for the feedback.

- peter