Blacked out area on screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kemscm, Apr 9, 2011.

1. kemscm

kemscm New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    I have a premiere & I've already had the problems with the closed captioning staying on screen & the pink screen when I turn on the tv. Now I have developed a new problem -- there is a blacked-out rectangle stuck on the screen.

I have found that I can make the problem go away by rebooting the Premiere -- which is the same solution that worked for the cc issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to solve it besides rebooting? I reboot my Premiere more often than I have to reboot my Windows PC!

Does anyone know if Tivo is working to solve these problems? Rebooting takes so long...plus, you can't do it if you are recording. I am starting to wish I'd never bought a Premiere.

2. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    It sounds like the black rectangle may be the closed caption box. Does this happen when you turn off (or on) CC?

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you connecting to the TV via HDMI?

(also, perhaps it's the television set's CC or Pic in Pic screwing up. Unplug the TV for a while)

4. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    Also try a different HDMI cable for the pink screen problem.

5. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Might want to tweet this to @tivodesign . Maybe if their twitter stream fills up with all the problems and annoyances they have yet to fix in the Premiere, they'll do something about it.

6. kemscm

kemscm New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Thank all of you for responding. Yes, it was an empty closed captioning box...so it's part of the same problem. I will tweet it to @tivodesign. And I do have another HDMI cable, so I will try that. You guys are always helpful. :)