Black & White Picture with color bars

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by glen4cindy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1 of 10
    glen4cindy

glen4cindy Member

Jul 18, 2003
    St. Louis
    I think I have seen this before, but I cannot find it by searching.

I have had this happen ALOT here recently. It happend quite a bit once before then quit for a long time.

The whole screen including Tivo menus turns black and white with color bars in a "beat" pattern going up and down the screen. This goes on for several minutes and may go away by itself and WILL go away with a hard reset.

I have an unmodified 70hr Hughes Direct Tivo.

Thanks.

2. Sep 4, 2007 #2 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    How is the Tivo connected to your TV? A loose or defective SVideo cable can cause these symptoms.

3. Sep 4, 2007 #3 of 10
    nonamesleft

nonamesleft New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    It could also be a failing tuner or possibly a failing hard drive. As the previous poster suggested, a loose cable will the most likely culprit. If you are sure that the cable is not loose & the S-VHS cable is not damaged, then you might have a ailing tuner. In that case you might extend it's life by changing from using S-VHS output to composite (RCA) cables. In this situation, it's probably also better to only use one set of the composite outputs. HTH

4. Sep 4, 2007 #4 of 10
    bootlace

bootlace New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I'm having the same problem and it started with the last software update. I also had this problem a couple of years ago but it stopped with an update. There was discussion on the board back then that it was a software problem.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #5 of 10
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    That is a LONG LONG LONG LONG outstanding bug with the Tivo units.

I have had that all the way back to my first unit....

It is purely random... and it just "corrects" it self on it's own.

6. Sep 4, 2007 #6 of 10
    carolsue

carolsue New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    It's started back up for me since the last update also. If I hit "pause" then unpause, it usually goes away.

7. Sep 4, 2007 #7 of 10
    glen4cindy

glen4cindy Member

Jul 18, 2003
    St. Louis
    Yes, I also had this problem a very long time ago then it went away. Now it is back and I have determined that it is on only one set of my composite outputs, not both.

8. Sep 4, 2007 #8 of 10
    dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    Its happening to me too, also since the last update...........

9. Sep 4, 2007 #9 of 10
    schell

schell New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    this happend to me long ago with my first DTV tivo now it is back since the upgrade, if you do a search it was called loss of color, I have thos problem almost every day just like when I first got my tivo

10. KF9WM

KF9WM New Member

Jan 24, 2003
    W. Central...
    Add me to the list. I have a Philips DSR708 that started doing the pulsing colors/fade to black and white thing immediately after downloading 6.3e. Recorded video in the buffer is also black and white.