1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Square on TV Screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by timstack8969, Feb 13, 2018.

1. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    I have a Samsung 4K (Q7F) TV and a Tivo Bolt+. This morning while pressing the digits buttons on the Tivo Remote or while changing the channel I saw a Black Square on my TV screen. I don't think it is my TV. Is this a Tivo software bug? Has anyone else seen this issue?

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    My first guess would be you managed to turn on a weird closed captioning setting. I think it's descriptive text CC that can put a big black box (to be filled with text) in the middle of the screen - but that's dependent on both the CC setting and the specific CC data from that channel; so it can be a bit flukey about whether it does that.

Anyway I'd make sure CC was turned back off and then see if the issue recurred.

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I’ve seen this a few times too and can not replicate it but agree the box looks similar to a CC container.

4. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    Yes Black Square on the Left side of my TV screen.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    And if you switch to another input on the TV it goes away (and comes back when you switch to the TiVo input)?

Scott

6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Go into Settings | User Preferences and make sure Closed Captioning is shown as [Off].

7. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    For me it only happens for a moment and disappears just as fast and I’m pretty sure it only happens on my local NBC station. Maybe it’s a weird CC signal from them but I’m not using CC when I’ve seen this happen.