Black screen, unresponsive, sigh

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by bobfrank, Feb 8, 2020.

1. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    My original 3TB Bolt fell victim to the flashing lights failure back in late November. Tivo replaced it with an identical 3TB Bolt for about $80. I thought everything would be good for a few years until the new 3TB drive failed.

Starting a couple of weeks ago I started having the problem described in the subject line. About once a week, if watching the Bolt at the time, I'd get a multi-color screen flash and then all black. The green power light and red recording light (if recording) stayed on but absolute no response from any remote button activity. The only fix was to pull the plug and reboot. If I wasn't watching at the time, then when I turned the TV on all I'd get was the black screen and unresponsive remote.

The Bolt was in the same cabinet all my Tivos, including the original Bolt, for many years. I am having the same problem even sitting out in the open in a fairly cool house. The problem is starting to happen more than once per day.

Anyone else having the problem and/or anyone have a suggestion as to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I swapped out the power supply and the problem continues.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  2. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Well, apparently no one else is having the same problem.

So I contacted Tivo support and gave them the sad story. The are exchanging the failing Bolt again. This time with no exchange fee. My problem is solved for the time being.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    The Bolt has lots of goofy issues. Currently my Bolt shows no signal at times when turning on the TV. I have to go to TV or another HDMI and back to the Tivo HDMI to get it to work. Does not matter changing HDMI, HDMI cable etc. It's not on standby either. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

4. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    My previous Bolt worked just fine for 2 years until the hard drive died. The Bolt is faster than my Roameo, but not nearly as reliable in the long run.