1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

black screen (NO error message) when trying to play back recording in progress

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Daviator00, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Is Tivo still in business? They sure act like they are on their last legs.

I called/chatted about how all I see is a black screen (no error, or warning etc.) when I tried to watch a show that was being recorded. I did the obligatory power cycle and network test (connected via Ethernet) and the Tivo rep claimed to "refresh" my device but nothing worked. All I got was the "Rest assured..." B.S. support tosses out.

Is it time to dump the Tivo and it's costly subscription and move over to a streaming service such as Sling or YouTube TV?

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    No, it's time to move back to more competent tech. support from TiVo, rather than the moved-to off-shore farm.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I would check the channels on Live TV. Tivo does not record when there is no signal, but will record if there is signal but no picture.

Check cable card (if cable), if it is still paired. If there is a tuning adapter, may need a reboot.

4. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    After a lengthy discussion with Tivo I discovered that this is not exactly true.

If the desired channel for a program is set to "All" Tivo will randomly pick a channel to "record", even if it it's not the strongest signal.

Also, I caught Tivo in a lie. First they claimed that Tivo cannot and does not determine signal strength when recording. However, when pressed as to why the show (on a channel with no signal) being "recorded" disappears from "My Shows" at the end of the supposed recording time, she stated that the Tivo determined the lack of signal and removes it from "My Shows".

She had no answer as to why Tivo skipped recording on a known good channel in favor of the no signal channel. She also had no answer as to why the history then shows the program as not recorded but does not offer ANY reason as to why the show was not actually recorded.

Again, streaming services like YouTube TV, Sling TV and PlayStation Vue now offer local channels and in-the-cloud DVR, rendering Tivo less and less relevant. Their terrible support and complete apathy for their customers makes the decision to dump them much easier. It's sad, I used to love Tivo.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So you had the 1P set to All versus a specific channel and it sounds like you did not have a channel that you don't get deselected?

Scott

6. Daviator00

Daviator00 Member

Dec 4, 2017
    When I setup the Tivo, I only checked the channels that Tivo said it could receive. Apparently, some of those channels are no longer valid.

However, my complaint is two fold:
    Why does Tivo skip a known good channel in favor of a known bad channel? why is the channel choice for "All" random?
    Why does Tivo indicate that a program is being recorded when in fact it is not due to poor signal strength? There are no alerts, warning OR explanation in the History after the fact.

If there were ANY indication that the channel could not be recorded, then I would obviously remove it from my channels. But Tivo gives NO indication unless you specifically use the Guide and go to the channel in question.

Again, if I have to constantly monitor the channels that Tivo can or cannot receive then it's simply not worth it.
    TIvo could mitigate much of this but fat chance that they'll even bother or if they even have any devs left to work on their software.