Black Screen in Recordings and Live TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by hooper, Jan 25, 2012.

1. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    So this is a weird issue I have been having. Twice now in total. Once on 14.9 and now again on 20.x. I turn my TV on and goto a recorded program. The program starts to play but it is a black screen and duration is full (1 hr in this case). Goto Live TV and get a black screen on all channels. I reboot the box and every thing is fine. The recorded shows are complete etc. Even ones that were in progress when I reboot were recording just fine. So the Tivo is getting a signal just fine and recording ok, but for whatever reason it won't show anything.

The box has component and HDMI connections active.

Any ideas?

2. agent009

agent009 New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    This issue happened to me just now in the middle of watching a recorded show. I just restarted the box and that fixed the problem.

Happened on a premier elite with 20.2 switching between the tuners gave me the message saying that the current channel isn't authorized.

My standard premier in a different room is still working fine.

3. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've experienced the same thing twice, since 20.2, always while a recording was taking place.

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I was having a problem with my TivoHD for a few weeks now where I would get a black screen when connected by way of the hdmi or componet. TV was saying no sync signal. I would reboot and everything was fine during the set up screens but when it went to the 1080 screen the TV went blank. The Tivo is connected to an Onkyo receiver that I use as a switcher. It upconverts and sends all signals over a HDMI cable to the TV. After some searching and trying different things I discovered that the receiver was no longer passing 720 or 1080 signals thru it. If I set the Tivo to a fixed 480 the signal went thru. I dont know if this is of any help to you. But try setting the Tivo to 480 and see what happens.

5. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Forgot to mention that I have a premiere. Is the 2 output thing consistent across folks with this issue? What about an hdmi connection?

I am thinking this is another hdmi issue. If you have ever seen the hdmi connection not permitted problem, this is the exact same behavior just without that error message.

6. Feb 2, 2012 #6 of 10
    shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I just ran into the black screen bug. All mpeg video is a black screen. I can see the HD menus, the background of the SD menus (eg. settings menu) is a black screen. Previously recorded videos are black ( I can get the display banner) and all the live TV is a black screen. The signal is lost error.

reboot seems to fix the black screen bug,
    but now I have the N33 can not connect to service.

Test Internet connection works fine. But Connect to the Tivo Service Now fails.

7. Feb 3, 2012 #7 of 10
    chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
  8. Feb 3, 2012 #8 of 10
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    It is not the same issue. I'm not talking about a black screen in a recording.♦

9. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Saw this again tonight. Very annoying. Anyone called Tivo about it?

10. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    One other thing I forgot to mention is that I removed the hdmi cable from the mix. Component only now and still seeing the issue.