Black Screen crash in 14.8c

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by curiousgeorge, Aug 15, 2011.

1. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Got a black screen crash on our Premiere with 14.8c running in SD mode last night. Black background on menus and black screens where LiveTV should be. As usual only a reboot fixed it.

2. Brent W

Brent W Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Auburn...
    The same thing happened on one of ours yesterday.

3. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Nice to know the ancient "showstopper" bugs roll on unfixed. In the old days these were "red alert" style bugs and TiVo was all over them. This one's been going on for about 18 months now with no end in sight.

4. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I just got that bug too. I've never had it before.

5. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Another freeze crash on 14.8c with another Premiere this time.

6. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Im not using mine a lot right now, because we are only recording 3 OTA shows until Fall kicks off. Fired it up last night to watch a few and it was hung, so I had to unplug it. Come to find out, it had not dialed in for 7 days, so I guess it had been hung since last Sunday. Lovely... Bought missed episodes on Amazon and downloaded them, guess I have to check the damn thing everyday to make sure its awake...

7. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I have a new Prmeiere and got this bug also. Generally when I try to watch streaming video, or youtube, or web video, etc.

8. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I finally got 14.8c on Monday, and today I had a black screen episode similar to what you describe. It was also similar to a frozen video incident I had back in June: Video output frozen, including menu backgrounds, except that the menu backgrounds were black this time. Going to Standby and then back out didn't help. I'm sure a restart will fix it, but I'm recording until midnight, so that will have to wait a while.

Added details: Before all this started, I had just watched and deleted two shows normally. During the black screen problem, the live TV shows said "To be announced" even though guide data was available by pressing the Guide button. Apparently the data feed from the hard drive to the display circuitry gets frozen or disconnected somehow (presumably by a bug in whichever software task handles that).

About 11:30pm I used the menus to switch to the HDUI, which was a bad idea: It didn't fix anything, and I ended up stuck with a black screen that wouldn't even display menus. Then a few minutes later the Premiere rebooted itself, aborting two ongoing recordings in the process. That's my first involuntary reboot.

As I expected, the recordings that were made under the SDUI when I couldn't see anything are all fine (up until the reboot under the HDUI). I'm back on the SDUI.